GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

TSB For brake pads squeak

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 09:09 PM
drobick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to replace my ridiculously noisy/squeaky brake pads on a car that is within the 48 month and 50,000 mile warranty period as the TSB states. Whether I have 1 mile of wear on the pads or 49,999 miles of wear on the pads should not matter based on how the TSB is written. Unless I'm not understanding the TSB correctly.
Old 02-09-20, 06:02 PM
Mertisimo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in this as well. I just picked up a Blue 2017 GS-F (less than 10k miles) as a compliment to my 13 GS 350 Fsport (for snowy days) Was nervous to purchase remotely (very rarely a GSF for sale in WI) but did. The vehicle came in great shape and I'm loving it...my only concern has been the brake squeak. I feel obligated to hammer on the brakes at slow stops so I'm not slow squeaking to a stop at each light. Annoying. Feels to me like the TSB for the 16's is the same issue. Anyone have this issue on their 2017? Any documentation anywhere? I couldn't find anything at first search. Knowing i didn't buy it from my local Lexus dealer, I am anticipating a reluctance to help me...

Thanks all...Been watching this forum for some time. Excited to be part of the rare GSF club!!!
The following users liked this post:
1wacko (02-09-20)
Old 02-09-20, 08:33 PM
1wacko
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Squeaky brakes are part of any performance brakes, it has nothing to do with the brake pads or rotors per se. If you notice after the brakes heat up, the squeak goes away.
You still can purchase aftermarket pads such as Tom's, Mu and others that will remove the squeak if it bothers you much. I learned to accept it and I'm fine with it.
Enjoy your new car; USB is a great color on the GSF.
Old 02-10-20, 08:35 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,063 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by Mertisimo
I'm interested in this as well. I just picked up a Blue 2017 GS-F (less than 10k miles) as a compliment to my 13 GS 350 Fsport (for snowy days) Was nervous to purchase remotely (very rarely a GSF for sale in WI) but did. The vehicle came in great shape and I'm loving it...my only concern has been the brake squeak. I feel obligated to hammer on the brakes at slow stops so I'm not slow squeaking to a stop at each light. Annoying. Feels to me like the TSB for the 16's is the same issue. Anyone have this issue on their 2017? Any documentation anywhere? I couldn't find anything at first search. Knowing i didn't buy it from my local Lexus dealer, I am anticipating a reluctance to help me...

Thanks all...Been watching this forum for some time. Excited to be part of the rare GSF club!!!
There shouldn't be any reluctance to help you. They get paid for replacing the pads with the LSB pads just like any other warranty work. If you want to make them a little more agreeable, get an oil change and mention you don't like the squeaking and you heard there is a fix from Lexus for this (the LSB applies to your model year too) and you'd prefer less noise over fade resistance. Just be sure to check the oil level before you drive off. The dealership here put 2.5 extra quarts in the wife's GS F. I wasn't enthused about that at all.
Old 02-11-20, 11:40 AM
Mertisimo
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate all the feedback! When the snow melts, I'll get the ride out of the garage and get it over to my dealership and keep you all updated.
Old 02-26-20, 02:45 PM
Mertisimo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mertisimo
Appreciate all the feedback! When the snow melts, I'll get the ride out of the garage and get it over to my dealership and keep you all updated.

just an update if this comes up for any other 2017 GSF owners. My Lexus dealer was actually great on this topic. They will be submitting a claim and replacing my pads at no charge. I did find it interesting that at 8500 miles there was only about 2-3mm left on them.
Pointing them to the TSB was very helpful. This site is great!