GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

2016 Highway Performance and Mysterious Variable Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 10:44 AM
producer97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Highway Performance and Mysterious Variable Suspension

Do you guys find it hard to drive the 2016 GS F on the highway as reported by MotorTrend? Also, why does Jeremy Clarkson seem to think the 2016 model has an adjustable suspension?

The head toss and belly jiggle are further compounded out on the highway, where the suspension struggles to mask road imperfections. The ride is properly stiff—an electronically adjustable suspension with a Comfort mode would be near the top of our list of wants. The quick steering ratio also means the Lexus struggles with straight-line stability at highway speeds, requiring near-constant corrections from the driver to stay in the lane.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadil...vs-lexus-gs-f/

Other things? Plenty. The wiper stalk is on upside down; there are several million buttons on the steering wheel that all retune the stereo system to Radio 3; and just about the only **** of interest is the big silver one on the centre console that ruins everything. It changes the settings of the car to either Eco, which isn’t interesting, or Sport S, which is bumpy, or Sport S+, which would work only at the Nürburgring. But you’re not at the Nürburgring, because you’ve just reached for your can of refreshing orange pop and now you’re going to Pinner again.

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-review...16-lexus-gs-f/
Old 09-26-17, 05:12 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

It's stiff on highway, but not that bad. I don't feel that it needs constant correcting. Around town it doesn't seem to mask manhole covers, etc. well.--seems like the damping/rebound could have been tuned for better wheel control.
Old 09-27-17, 11:30 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Stiff compared to what? It's WAAYYYY softer than the IS F, and my IS F is way softer than my Supra. IMHO, it's a bit too soft in the back as it likes to wallow a bit before it settles when pushed compared to the IS F.

And yes, I drove the car from Atlanta to Cedar Rapids, Iowa and back this summer. I did it in one day each way. The ride is far from harsh. They're trying to confuse this car with the LS which it isn't and never should be.
Old 10-11-17, 10:06 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

GSF is a beast on the highway! Probably the most enjoyable car to drive on the highway I've ever driven.
Old 10-13-17, 01:39 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I've driven both model years. I have a 2016. 2016 ride in the city is more jittery than I would like but it isn't uncomfortable. The highway ride is actually pretty solid and it isn't crashy. I don't know what they are talking about with darty steering. The 2017 suspension is still fairly stiff on rebound and impact like the 2016 but the 2017 does a way better job with vibrations. There is noticeable reduction in vibrations but the over impact harshness isn't that far off. The 2017 does ride better but the feel for the road is reduced. It also has that spongey feeling you get with active dampers that passive dampers don't have. Broadly speaking, Lexus did a good job on the tuning. If this setup was on a german car, car reviews would applauding a "comfortable ride in a sports sedan".

If you don't canyon carve that much, get the 2017 with the updated suspension. If you prefer more direct feel with the road, 2016 is better.
Old 10-16-17, 10:39 AM
ddmavis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven my 2016 GS-F for three separate 2000+ mile road trips and it is not an LS or ES ride, but then it's not either of those two models. The highway driving is outstanding in my experience and when I drive my wife's ES-350 I miss my GS-F even more. I've driven an LS-400, LS-430 and most recently an ES-350 all since 2001 when I got my first Lexus; for now I wouldn't trade the GS-F for any of them. It is my daily drive car and yes it is stiffer than an ES-350, but the acceleration and handling far outweighs the cushy ride. Just my experience. Other friends that have driven sport cars say the GS-F is comfy, comparatively speaking.