GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GSF Break-in Period

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-17, 07:30 AM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GSF Break-in Period

I wanted to hear it from you folks who intimately know the Lexus engine and it's mechanics. I know what the manual says about the break-in period, but I wanted to know how true is that? Is the engine on the GSF already broken in or do I need to baby it for the first 1000 miles. I have seen dealers rev the GSF/RCF engine at the dealership to redline when The vehicle has less than 40-50 miles just so they can hear the sound. Also when it says to avoid "sudden acceleration" what RPM are they saying. Sometimes when you merge on the freeway, you would have to pick up acceleration in a short distance maybe to 3-5k RPm. Is that okay per the manual or would one need to avoid freeways? For me, my engine is less than 200 miles so I wanted to find out specifically what our engine break-in requirements really are. I know many will say follow the manual but the manual does not give you exact details of what RPM, or if "sudden braking" mean smash the break or pressing firmly, etc. It seems like it is up for interpretation. Thanks.
Old 10-24-17, 02:23 PM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

i don't think the break-in period is necessary, but i did go through a break in period when i got my GSF to 1000 miles... took almost 2 months to get there. haha

i just made sure to drive the car in all rpm ranges - low, mid, and high. the thing to avoid is constantly driving in the same range. i even did a little spirited acceleration during that period, but i did avoid trying to see how fast i can get from 0-60.
Old 10-24-17, 06:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,071 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Using the factory break-in will ensure your engine burns oil and has poor compression. I posted this in 1999 on the Supra email list:
I have a standard break in procedure that I use, it takes about an hour if you are diligent, and when you are done, break in is complete. The biggest point of grief with a new engine is the unrelieved stresses in the pistons. You want to heat and cool them in a predictable way with an incrementally increasing thermal load. I usually start at 20% throttle and go in 10 or 15% increments until I get full throttle. Bursts should be 15 to 30 seconds, followed by 5 minutes part throttle cruise to let the pistons cool and resize themselves. You can figure out that 30 seconds in top gear at full throttle will have you going pretty fast down the road, so you need a clear stretch to do this, but I have never had a problem with leak down or bad piston fit using this technique. That crap about "XXX" miles is just so the average driver doesn't blow things up.

Also, I assemble the cylinders dry, but turn the engine over for about 15 seconds with no fuel or ignition before my initial start up, then I run it up to about 25% of redline as soon as it catches for 30 seconds or so. Once I have my initial 30 seconds and no gushing leaks, I take it out for a drive right away. I want to put pressure on the rings and valves to get them to seat well and that can't be done without a load, so off we go down the road for about 5 minutes, then return to the shop to check for oil or coolant leaks. If all is OK, back out on the road for final break in.

I did this to my IS F and the GS F. I did not do this to my 1993 Celica GTS and I had an engine that burned a quart of oil every 1500 miles. Never again.
Old 10-24-17, 07:02 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by danwlee
i don't think the break-in period is necessary, but i did go through a break in period when i got my GSF to 1000 miles... took almost 2 months to get there. haha

i just made sure to drive the car in all rpm ranges - low, mid, and high. the thing to avoid is constantly driving in the same range. i even did a little spirited acceleration during that period, but i did avoid trying to see how fast i can get from 0-60.
when you say high range rpm how high? 5.5k? Is that high? basically I hear the 2nd intake type sound on maybe 1-2 occasions. Is that high? Also I was reading that I shouldn't use sport+ mode or sport mode during the break-in did you?

i definitely have not done a 0-60 just several high accelerations but usually between 3.3-4.5k. Is that mid or high? I am only at 200 miles and will baby the rest but how do I know if I have done any damage? I see dealers punching the crap out of the new RCF/GSF and they say it is fine and meant for it. Thanks.
Old 10-25-17, 04:53 AM
PearlFocal
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke with the Lexus Service manager and he claims that break-ins are not needed as the engines were extensively tested in the factory. GSFs engines are basically race ready when off the factory.

That being said I still did 2000km (around 1600 miles) before ripping my car on the race track.
Old 10-25-17, 07:31 AM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PearlFocal
I spoke with the Lexus Service manager and he claims that break-ins are not needed as the engines were extensively tested in the factory. GSFs engines are basically race ready when off the factory.

That being said I still did 2000km (around 1600 miles) before ripping my car on the race track.
any spirited acceleration? How high of rpm did you take the car? Sport or sport+ mode? Thanks.
Old 10-25-17, 11:04 AM
PearlFocal
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it was a race track and I went to 180km (around 120mph) with revs at around 7000 in sport plus.

Car was smooth and everything seemed fine.

I guess they break-in these cars in factory just like the GTRs, track ready when delivered. But personally I'll still break the GSF with at 2000km.
Old 10-25-17, 07:19 PM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by reyrey127
when you say high range rpm how high? 5.5k? Is that high? basically I hear the 2nd intake type sound on maybe 1-2 occasions. Is that high? Also I was reading that I shouldn't use sport+ mode or sport mode during the break-in did you?

i definitely have not done a 0-60 just several high accelerations but usually between 3.3-4.5k. Is that mid or high? I am only at 200 miles and will baby the rest but how do I know if I have done any damage? I see dealers punching the crap out of the new RCF/GSF and they say it is fine and meant for it. Thanks.
The cam profile changes at 3500 rpms, so that's when you'll hear/feel the difference.

sport/sport+ shouldn't matter, you're not enabling anything you're not using already in normal mode. your shift points change and in sport+ it holds your revs so it doesn't downshift as fast.

don't baby it. you don't want to drive it in the same speed/rpm range the entire period, which is why i say drive it in all ranges (both RPMs and speed). You can get into upper ranges of both without flooring it. the advice Lobuxracer posted outlines one way you can do it. the xxx miles is up to you.

Pulled from Lexus' site:
What does Lexus recommend for the engine break-in period?
The engine of your new Lexus vehicle is made with industry-leading precision and quality. As a result, the break-in procedures listed in the Owner's Manual for a brand-new Lexus are optional. While following these procedures may help to optimize engine performance and engine longevity over the life of the engine, these potential benefits are marginal compared to the benefits that result from ensuring that recommended maintenance is performed as scheduled.To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:
For the first 200 miles (300 km):
- Avoid sudden stops.
For the first 500 miles (800 km):
- Do not tow a trailer.
For the first 1000 miles (1600 km):
- Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
- Avoid sudden acceleration.
- Do not drive continuously in low gears.
- Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

Last edited by danwlee; 10-25-17 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 09:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,071 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by danwlee
The cam profile changes at 3500 rpms, so that's when you'll hear/feel the difference.

sport/sport+ shouldn't matter, you're not enabling anything you're not using already in normal mode. your shift points change and in sport+ it holds your revs so it doesn't downshift as fast.

don't baby it. you don't want to drive it in the same speed/rpm range the entire period, which is why i say drive it in all ranges (both RPMs and speed). You can get into upper ranges of both without flooring it. the advice Lobuxracer posted outlines one way you can do it. the xxx miles is up to you.

Pulled from Lexus' site:
What does Lexus recommend for the engine break-in period?
The engine of your new Lexus vehicle is made with industry-leading precision and quality. As a result, the break-in procedures listed in the Owner's Manual for a brand-new Lexus are optional. While following these procedures may help to optimize engine performance and engine longevity over the life of the engine, these potential benefits are marginal compared to the benefits that result from ensuring that recommended maintenance is performed as scheduled.To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:
For the first 200 miles (300 km):
- Avoid sudden stops.
For the first 500 miles (800 km):
- Do not tow a trailer.
For the first 1000 miles (1600 km):
- Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
- Avoid sudden acceleration.
- Do not drive continuously in low gears.
- Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.
The cam profile is metal. There is nothing to change the cam profile in the engine, only when lobe center occurs relative to the crank position. There is nothing to vary lift or duration of the cams.

The sound is the airbox flap opening. Same as the IS F. There is a flap in the airbox operated by a vacuum line that opens at 3500 rpm and allows significantly more intake sound to be heard.
The following users liked this post:
PearlFocal (10-27-17)
Old 10-26-17, 10:36 AM
tarponman
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whether this helps or not. I'm from Miami Fl, and bought my RCF from a dealer in New York and drove it down to Florida. 1,300 Miles. I dogged the hell out of it on the way down and currently have 22K Miles and have not experienced any adverse side effects.