GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

XPEL or 3M Vehicle Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-20, 08:13 AM
serturbo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

curious if anybody has had their entire vehicle PPF'd... also in regards to longevity what happens in 5-10 years if and when it needs to be removed...is there a chance the underlying paint can be damaged .. what about applying PPF to the matte paint for 10th anniversary.. any thoughts ? I would think its an absolute must for at least front bumper, hood, and fenders... but what about possibly the entire car? would down the road after several years when the PPF needs to be removed would it damage the matte paint?
Old 11-05-20, 04:28 PM
sashi
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2016 GSF has full XPEL except roof/rear.
Its the best, giving me peace of mind.
As far as XPEL vs 3M, to me, thats comparing a Lexus to a Ford... just my 2 cents...
Old 11-05-20, 04:30 PM
sashi
Rookie

Whole thing costed around 5k(I had about $1000 credit/discounts though from previous 5 car installations at same shop).

XPEL all around(except roof/rear), Ceramic tint
Old 11-26-20, 07:44 PM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Have always had a bad experience with 3m after 2-3 yrs, so I switched to Xpel, I have the complete frontend including all Carbon Fiber parts Front lip, Conards, hood, side skirts, air dams mirrors, etc... & complete Ceramic coating of the car & wheels...
Old 11-30-20, 10:07 AM
serturbo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

anybody have any experience or info on Stek Dynomat? a very reputable installer here in San Diego with a lot of positive feed back on various social media review platforms went into lengthy discussion on why he recommends Stek over Xpel ..Some of the main points he made was that it was 8 mil thickness, covered for 10 yr warranty, has hydrophobic and self healing properties, and also retains the color and finish of the paint truer than any other PPF.. I think he made a comment that if XPEL stealth is done as full front clear bra you can tell the difference between areas PPF's and areas not PPF'd when it comes to matte paint vehicles.
Old 12-02-20, 12:57 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I have xpel, took it to the best shop around earlier this year. Initially the job was great but I see some light peel towards the edge of headlights. Already a little hole near bumper where a small rock might have possibly hit. I read these PPF are not indescribable and I would probably have to take it back to the shop drop it and pick up again. Not something I want to do with COVID going around. I hear 3M is also good have a friend with Tesla and his 3M looks amazing even after 3 years.
Old 12-02-20, 05:06 PM
sashi
Rookie

Originally Posted by serturbo
curious if anybody has had their entire vehicle PPF'd... also in regards to longevity what happens in 5-10 years if and when it needs to be removed...is there a chance the underlying paint can be damaged .. what about applying PPF to the matte paint for 10th anniversary.. any thoughts ? I would think its an absolute must for at least front bumper, hood, and fenders... but what about possibly the entire car? would down the road after several years when the PPF needs to be removed would it damage the matte paint?
Mine came with a 10 year warranty(XPEL). Its been around 3 years(purchased a brand new 2016 around summer 2017, during that once in a lifetime huge 20k rebate period). No issues whatsoever yet.... No peelings around edges either. But then again, my shop knows I'm **** about my cars(my 5th car getting wrapped/tinted there), so I'm sure they did it right the first time since they didn't want me back complaining....

My 2 fave things about the wrap:

1) peace of mind on the freeway with so many manner-less truck drivers hogging up the fast lane nowadays.
2) makes the car shine more than a car not wrapped after a detail... and you can't even tell my car is wrapped even when its dirty...

When I had 3 cars, this is how I wrapped them:

GSF: Full XPEL except roof and rear
GX460: Full XPEL front
Kia Sedona: Partial-hood only(with that nasty edge visible) with 3M
Old 12-02-20, 05:12 PM
sashi
Rookie

Originally Posted by sashi
Mine came with a 10 year warranty(XPEL). Its been around 3 years(purchased a brand new 2016 around summer 2017, during that once in a lifetime huge 20k rebate period). No issues whatsoever yet.... No peelings around edges either. But then again, my shop knows I'm **** about my cars(my 5th car getting wrapped/tinted there), so I'm sure they did it right the first time since they didn't want me back complaining....

My 2 fave things about the wrap:

1) peace of mind on the freeway with so many manner-less truck drivers hogging up the fast lane nowadays.
2) makes the car shine more than a car not wrapped after a detail... and you can't even tell my car is wrapped even when its dirty...

When I had 3 cars, this is how I wrapped them:

GSF: Full XPEL except roof and rear
GX460: Full XPEL front
Kia Sedona: Partial-hood only(with that nasty edge visible) with 3M
Or it might have been the summer of 2016.... I can't even remember...... lol... I'm getting old.....