GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Anyone here track their GSF? How does it hold up? Warranty issues with Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-18, 06:05 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone here track their GSF? How does it hold up? Warranty issues with Lexus?

I will be going to track days if/when I buy a GSF. Did one a couple weeks ago in my BMW and put in about 70 laps that day. The car held up well as you'd expect from a modern BMW on the track.
The GSF I would suspect will also hold up equally well? Have any of you run into warranty issues on your Lexus as a result of track days? i.e., Lexus trying to not cover items that should be covered? One positive about BMW is despite the subpar dealer here, BMW has never voided a warranty or refused to cover an item on my car or my friends as a result of track days so long as its reasonable.

By reasonable, I mean a buddy of mine was doing semi pro SCCA stuff in his M3 and eating up brakes like crazy. BMW did not cover all of these parts under the maintenance plan. However, I have been told as has another friend of mine that one swap of pads/discs under factory maintenance and one under extended maintenance as a result of track days would be permitted.

Also, how do the brakes on the big Lexus holdup during track days?
Old 02-04-18, 07:31 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I went and only did 12 laps last year as I was still babying it.

Bit of a novice here and I have only driven my old IS250 6speed, wife's Audi 2016 TTs, and the 2017 GSF.

From my experience the car holds up extremely well, chasis is ridged, suspensions holds up for stock, and the TVD is amazing. Brakes never faded and brakes Hard, but I only did 5 laps at a time. The handling feels simular to the TTs, or at least that is how I felt it.

It might be obvious, but the IS250 felt like a piece of crap in comparison in handling.
Old 03-14-18, 01:38 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Bumping this since I find it hard to believe only one person has actually tracked their GSF?
Old 03-14-18, 07:02 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Tracked my GSF a few, no issues, probably no responses because no ones had to do a warranty claim on their GSF so far because they hold up so well. They were built for track use so I'd expect them to hold up just as well, if not, better than M cars.

However, I believe the majority of GSF buyers don't track their cars. Too many owners like to modify their cars for looks (Wide body kits etc) or try to make them into drag strip cars.... I don't have social media but I did a GSF search on instagram and youtube for ****s and giggles and saw that the majority of GSFs through the search were modified (Lowered, dumb wheels, wide body kits, you name it.). Not that its a bad thing but eh, I'm about track performance.

For warranty I'd imagine that normal wear items like brakes would not be covered under warranty, as with any Lexus or manufacturer really. But if you ever had any engine issues, it'd be covered if you have stock equipment. But engine failures are pretty rare with this engine.

But if you were to look at the limitations of the warranty in the manual, it does say misuse of car such as racing or overloading is not covered under warranty. So this would tell me that issues resulting from track use aren't covered.

Last edited by TrevorR; 03-14-18 at 07:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WaterFish (03-15-18)
Old 03-15-18, 05:21 AM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Tracked my GSF a few, no issues, probably no responses because no ones had to do a warranty claim on their GSF so far because they hold up so well. They were built for track use so I'd expect them to hold up just as well, if not, better than M cars.

However, I believe the majority of GSF buyers don't track their cars. Too many owners like to modify their cars for looks (Wide body kits etc) or try to make them into drag strip cars.... I don't have social media but I did a GSF search on instagram and youtube for ****s and giggles and saw that the majority of GSFs through the search were modified (Lowered, dumb wheels, wide body kits, you name it.). Not that its a bad thing but eh, I'm about track performance.

For warranty I'd imagine that normal wear items like brakes would not be covered under warranty, as with any Lexus or manufacturer really. But if you ever had any engine issues, it'd be covered if you have stock equipment. But engine failures are pretty rare with this engine.

But if you were to look at the limitations of the warranty in the manual, it does say misuse of car such as racing or overloading is not covered under warranty. So this would tell me that issues resulting from track use aren't covered.
Courts have said that racing and track use are decidedly different and most mfg's respect that. Racing typically means a competition with other drivers. A track day just having fun with your car is NOT racing and has generally been confirmed by the courts - FYI
Old 03-15-18, 05:49 PM
frugaldiva
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never tracked the GSF. My husband tracks his GTR and BRZ.