GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

16 vs 17 vs 18... GSF

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 08:45 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 16 vs 17 vs 18... GSF

Gents.. I test drove a 17 GSF and fell in love. Now I’m trying to see which one I should really consider. A used 16 or a 17 with a rebate or a 18 with no incentives. Can you guys tell me if there is a difference in the cars between the years? I hear there is a suspension change and some other minor changes in 17 that the 16s didn’t have. Any details will be appreciated.
Old 02-09-18, 08:56 PM
DennisGSF
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

The following users liked this post:
JDMUSCLE (02-10-18)
Old 02-09-18, 09:05 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

17's have variable suspension so its probably better on the track. The 18's have the lifetime subscription to the enform thing but other than that there is no difference between the 17's and 18's.

Get the 17 with rebates since there is no difference in performance whatsoever. The 16 doesn't have the variable suspension. But if you don't care about the variable then get the 16 since I'm sure you could get it slightly cheaper.

I got my 17 for 70k before taxes etc brand new.
JDMUSCLE (02-10-18)
Old 02-09-18, 10:51 PM
bolaga
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR
17's have variable suspension so its probably better on the track. The 18's have the lifetime subscription to the enform thing but other than that there is no difference between the 17's and 18's.

Get the 17 with rebates since there is no difference in performance whatsoever. The 16 doesn't have the variable suspension. But if you don't care about the variable then get the 16 since I'm sure you could get it slightly cheaper.

I got my 17 for 70k before taxes etc brand new.
Not sure if variable suspension is better for track. Based on my test drive, 16's fixed suspension is actually far better for road feels and more balance.
Variable suspension is either too hard or too soft. Lost of road feel on both way.

The big difference for 17 over 16 is Safety +. It also come with full ACC, instead of locking to 32miles limit compare to 2016 version.
The following 2 users liked this post by bolaga:
adr7090 (09-20-21), JDMUSCLE (02-10-18)
Old 02-10-18, 01:04 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bolaga
Not sure if variable suspension is better for track. Based on my test drive, 16's fixed suspension is actually far better for road feels and more balance.
Variable suspension is either too hard or too soft. Lost of road feel on both way.

The big difference for 17 over 16 is Safety +. It also come with full ACC, instead of locking to 32miles limit compare to 2016 version.
thats interesting, didn’t know there was a difference in ACC as well. Also I read somewhere that the 18 will have a better lane keep assist etc?
Old 02-10-18, 12:12 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE

thats interesting, didn’t know there was a difference in ACC as well. Also I read somewhere that the 18 will have a better lane keep assist etc?

Not so sure about this but my 17 does not have the all speed cruise control, it cuts off at 30-40mph. That's one feature that I'd like to have that I forgot to mention in my previous post, the 18 has all speed cruise control. If we're talking about performance difference, the 17 and 18 are "upgrades" over the 16 with no changes between 17 and 18. The rest are minor technological features.

I do have to argue that the variable suspension is on paper, better than the standard suspension. I also believe that this also adds "value" to the 17 and 18s. Review sites such as Motor Trend etc., bashed the GSF for opting for a traditional suspension system that other cars such as the Cadillac CTS-V have. I have driven my GSF on the track and it handles beautifully. However, I have not driven a 16 so I can't compare suspensions.

Lastly, in 10 years or so, if this car is somehow desired, I do think that the variable suspension system will be something that future used car buyers consider when shopping for GSF. So something to keep in mind if you plan on keeping it long term.

Edit: For the lane assist, my 17 has the lane alert system where it alerts but doesn't correct steering. I believe that the 18 has lane assist system where as it will correct steering. So I believe you are right.

Last edited by TrevorR; 02-10-18 at 12:24 PM.
adr7090 (09-20-21)
Old 02-10-18, 12:33 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

I just went through the 3 brochures that DennisGSF posted

Per the info sheets, Items posted in bold are NEW, so here are the items that were bolded in the press release.

2017: Heads-display, Smokey Granite Mica, Hand polished forged wheels

2018: All speed cruise control, 10 year inform subscription, Lane Keep Assist, Hand Polished Forged Wheels, Heads Up Display.

Only thing to note is that they didn't bold the variable suspension in the 2017 but it clearly doesn't state in the 2016 info sheet of any variable suspension. I also didn't know that the 16 doesn't have heads up display?
Old 02-10-18, 03:00 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

2016 had heads up dislpay as an option (which most came with), and Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist was standard.
Old 02-11-18, 07:40 AM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Not so sure about this but my 17 does not have the all speed cruise control, it cuts off at 30-40mph. That's one feature that I'd like to have that I forgot to mention in my previous post, the 18 has all speed cruise control. If we're talking about performance difference, the 17 and 18 are "upgrades" over the 16 with no changes between 17 and 18. The rest are minor technological features.

I do have to argue that the variable suspension is on paper, better than the standard suspension. I also believe that this also adds "value" to the 17 and 18s. Review sites such as Motor Trend etc., bashed the GSF for opting for a traditional suspension system that other cars such as the Cadillac CTS-V have. I have driven my GSF on the track and it handles beautifully. However, I have not driven a 16 so I can't compare suspensions.

Lastly, in 10 years or so, if this car is somehow desired, I do think that the variable suspension system will be something that future used car buyers consider when shopping for GSF. So something to keep in mind if you plan on keeping it long term.

Edit: For the lane assist, my 17 has the lane alert system where it alerts but doesn't correct steering. I believe that the 18 has lane assist system where as it will correct steering. So I believe you are right.
The CTSV has magnetic dampers, they are not fixed, so you must be confused. The CTS V suspension is praised and not bashed and the CTS V suspension is far better than the GSF's...it's probably the best suspension on the market.
Old 02-11-18, 08:57 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
The CTSV has magnetic dampers, they are not fixed, so you must be confused. The CTS V suspension is praised and not bashed and the CTS V suspension is far better than the GSF's...it's probably the best suspension on the market.
i think.. he meant to say.. Motor trend bashed GSF for not having the variable suspension that it’s competition comes equipped with. I love the magnetic ride control in my Z06 a lot. It’s amazing the difference each setting has to offer. Wish all cars came that way.
Old 02-11-18, 12:43 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Get the 2018 if daily. All speed control is worth it. I have the 17 GSF
Old 02-11-18, 12:59 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WaterFish
Get the 2018 if daily. All speed control is worth it. I have the 17 GSF
I’m leaning towards that.. hoping Lexus throws the 10k dealer cash for 18MY
Old 02-11-18, 02:02 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bolaga

In regards to suspension, really depends on which you prefer. If you want a suspension that will "adjust" to the road condition or fixed suspension that you will get to know exactly how it will respond.

Call me biased because I have a 2016 but I prefer a fixed suspension that I can become really familiar with on how it will react to a given road condition when driving 10/10 over a computer-controlled, adjustable suspension. If you really are just wanting to daily drive the car and enjoy it on the street, then then I would think the adjustable suspension will be a better experience.

Last edited by Autobacs; 02-11-18 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 08:23 AM
Coveted
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 16 and it came with Full speed control, lane assist with correction, and HUD..
The following 2 users liked this post by Coveted:
designo (03-02-19), TheBaumer (08-05-19)
Old 04-26-18, 09:36 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE

I’m leaning towards that.. hoping Lexus throws the 10k dealer cash for 18MY
Get the 18. Wait around a bit, and they will also be deeply discounted....

Quick Reply: 16 vs 17 vs 18... GSF