Manual Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 07:31 PM
Nimo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Manual Shifting

Guys,
I've noticed that my GSF in Sport + and manual trans mode sometimes doesn't shift up after sixth. It has no issues shifting down but I can't shift to seventh or eighth gear. Anyone else noticed this?
It is quite cold here in Toronto, so maybe the manual mode needs to warm up? It does go away after driving for awhile.

One more thing, I also noticed that in Sport + and manual mode, the upshift happens automatically. Once it hits higher RMP it seems to shift up like in automatic mode. Once again maybe the tranny has to warm up before it is fully manual shift.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-10-18, 09:50 PM
bolaga
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hows the temperature level when this happened?

I only seen this happen if the oil / engine temperature hasn't got to the mid point yet.
Old 03-13-18, 11:42 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Toronto here too.

no issues for me so far. Maybe the speed of the car is too low for gear 8?
Old 03-15-18, 05:22 AM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nimo
Guys,
I've noticed that my GSF in Sport + and manual trans mode sometimes doesn't shift up after sixth. It has no issues shifting down but I can't shift to seventh or eighth gear. Anyone else noticed this?
It is quite cold here in Toronto, so maybe the manual mode needs to warm up? It does go away after driving for awhile.

One more thing, I also noticed that in Sport + and manual mode, the upshift happens automatically. Once it hits higher RMP it seems to shift up like in automatic mode. Once again maybe the tranny has to warm up before it is fully manual shift.

Thanks for your help.
I don't yet own a GSF but what you're describing is typical of performance cars when in sport or sport +. Both of my BMW's (all of my friends BMWs and AMG cars) do the same thing. When in sport plus the highest gear you'll get on the highway is 6th. Only way around it is to put it in manual mode and shift to 8th yourself (which I do from time to time in my car). Lexus may not let you do that? May simply be because the thought was if you're in sport plus you want to hold gears longer...manual mode should override BUT would not be surprised if this was their answer.