GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GS F Recall Repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 01:55 PM
Miznthrope
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question GS F Recall Repairs?

Hello all. Longtime lurker/new member. I have been agonizing to finally pull the trigger and buy a new GS F (thinking I could snap up a 2017 at a great price) and now the recall notice comes out! I am in Florida and I had a great experience with my Lexus dealer when I bought my LX 570 back in 2013.

When I started making inquiries to dealers, after looking at online inventory, I was advised they (Lexus of Orlando) were not selling any GS F until the repairs called for by the recall are completed on the vehicle. That makes perfect sense from a liability standpoint of course --- after all, I understand both high pressure fuel pumps will need to be replaced on the engine (from everything I read here and online).

Here's my issue: I don't know that I have ANY confidence that any of my local dealers service departments have worked on a lot of GS F engines to that degree.
a) Is that a fair concern? That engine is a complex masterpiece and it will be hard to convince me that doing those repairs and putting it all back together is not fraught with some risk (that is not put back together right or anywhere near as "buttoned-down" as when it comes out of the factory in the new vehicle).
b) If I am accurate in suspecting that most local service folks just do not have a lot of experience with the GS F engine (again, this is my suspicion and opinion based on how reliable these vehicles are touted to be), I argue that I should be entitled to a very MAJOR discount buying a "new" 2018 where the dealer performed what in my opinion is major engine work PRIOR to my taking delivery --- it's not like I am getting a brand-spanking new engine coming out of the factory by the masters who construct it, perform QC, etc. What are the opinions on leveraging a major discount on dealer-repaired new ones?
c) OR is it worth the "premium" to special order a new one and ensure that engine is coming right out of the factory in pristine, untouched shape when I take delivery of the vehicle. If I want to ensure my vehicle is NOT being repaired by the dealer(s), I am advised by Lexus that the only way to ensure that is POST-recall/unaffected is to special order new from the factory.

It really is an unfortunate circumstance for Lexus, its dealers and ready buyers such as myself. I welcome the input and hope to contribute to this sub-forum further if I ultimately pull the trigger on ANY GS F. Thanks in advance. Mike

P.S. I am not a troll. I am just very thorough and research like a mad-man when I go down the road to a new vehicle purchase.
Old 03-12-18, 02:22 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

a) It is a fair concern. I believe it is driven by the camshafts.
b) I think it depends on the dealer and how many F models they service. Remember they will be doing this on 2015-2018 RCFs, 2016-2018 GSFs, and 2018 LC 500s. I'm not positive, but I think the ISF uses a the same/similar pump as well (not recalled).
c) If you order it, the car will be built with the fix, but will be a 2018 model. I assume it will be a big cost premium vs buying off the lot.

I am also concerned about this being done on my 2016. It's not easy, but I don't think it's a complicated repair. Looks like a few bolts for removal, fuel line disconnects (de-pressurize), and re-install. It looks rather accessible at the rear of the heads under the plastic engine cover. I share your concern and don't want to be the 1st one at my local dealer to have the work done. There should be several RCFs from 2015 and later going in for the same thing. I recommend requesting someone that's done it before, and from what I understand some dealers have techs that are used for the F cars.

From what I've gathered, the new vehicles waiting to be sold will be fixed first. Letters have not even been sent to owners yet.

I'm sure some others will chime in with more details.
The following users liked this post:
Miznthrope (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 02:39 PM
Miznthrope
Rookie

T, Thanks a bunch for the input. Glad to hear I am not way off base. The other pressure on all of this --- aside from getting screwed financially or with reliability issues --- is my better half!!!! Haha! I don't want to even start to explain why I spent this money on a car under recall. Not being a car enthusiast, she just will not get it.

Peace
The following users liked this post:
Lex76 (09-11-19)
Old 03-13-18, 06:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,072 Likes on 2,468 Posts

I have removed the HPFPs on my IS-F multiple times. It's a simple task and requires no special skills if you can successfully understand written English. I would not be concerned about the dealership being able to replace the pumps at all, and I have no worries about them doing this on our 2016 when the time comes. The GS F and RC F engines are actually a bit easier to work on compared to the IS F iteration. They cleaned up the fuel system pretty dramatically when they designed these cars compared to the IS F.
The following 5 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
anbark22 (03-13-18), bibika027 (10-05-19), Lex76 (09-11-19), Miznthrope (03-14-18), mkeeney (05-18-18)
Old 03-13-18, 07:00 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I dropped my GS-F off today for a small warranty issue and the Service Advisor later called to inform me of the fuel pump recall. He stated that they had to order the pumps and they would be in tomorrow. I tried to stall and tell him I could wait until later on to get them replaced (remembering Miznthrope's concerns) but he wanted to do it now since the car was already in the shop. I explained to him my concerns about being the first one to have the repair and I didn't want them practicing on my car. I could sense he felt a bit perturbed (as I may have offended him and his crew) ,but he informed me that their techs are well qualified to handle the replacement and that they had already completed several already. He stated that it was not a difficult repair and that the fuel pumps are camshaft driven, but they (cams, etc.) do not have to be removed. He assured me all would be well with the car. This is our 4th Lexus and we've always used this Service Advisor and this dealership and never had an issue.

I'm guessing that the parts will be here next day because we have a huge Lexus warehouse here in Jacksonville. I'll let you know how it goes, but really I'm not too concerned because of my past history with this dealership for the past 14 years or more.
Thank you,
anbark22
Old 03-13-18, 07:02 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have removed the HPFPs on my IS-F multiple times. It's a simple task and requires no special skills if you can successfully understand written English. I would not be concerned about the dealership being able to replace the pumps at all, and I have no worries about them doing this on our 2016 when the time comes. The GS F and RC F engines are actually a bit easier to work on compared to the IS F iteration. They cleaned up the fuel system pretty dramatically when they designed these cars compared to the IS F.
Please see my post just now.
Thanks
Old 03-14-18, 01:37 AM
Miznthrope
Rookie

Thanks to you both and please do keep us posted anbark22 on how you think it all went (how long does it take, etc.)?
Old 03-14-18, 05:58 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Somewhat valid concern but I wouldn’t hesitate to have Lexus repair my GSF. They aren’t taking apart the engine to do the install. The fuel pump is highly accessible and having a major discount on a 2018 because of the fuel pump being replaced with a better design seems unreasonable to me.

Lastly, the GSF engine isn’t a complicated engine by any means, it has a fuel pump just like all other Lexus vehicles. And I’m sure the techs there have replaced fuel pumps before.
Old 03-14-18, 01:09 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Just found out about this recall. Fuel pump? I would not worry one bit.

Having had an engine and transmission rebuilt, with a complete fuel system upgraded, this is extremely simple.

A fuel pump replacement does not even touch the engine itself

Last edited by Autobacs; 03-14-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 01:33 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Just found out about this recall. Fuel pump? I would not worry one bit.

Having had an engine and transmission rebuilt, with a complete fuel system upgraded, this is extremely simple.

A fuel pump replacement does not even touch the engine itself
Yep, that was my first thought as well when I heard the recall involving a fuel pump, wasn't worried at all. Was half tempted to ask if they could just send it to me and I'd replace it since its so easy. I replaced one in a 2004 Mustang Cobra and that involved taking down the rear end and dropping the tank ha...

It is an extremely easy repair, takes a couple hours to replace. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that the fuel pump is located in the engine bay, they are usually near the fuel tanks. Kudos to Lexus engineering for placing it at such a simple location. This might be a stretch but its probably just as simple as replacing an air filter......
Old 03-15-18, 05:21 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Glad to hear this! Makes me feel better. I usually only use the dealer for warranty work. I've heard mostly good things about Lexus dealership work. Picked up a 2018 Sienna for my wife a few months ago, and that dealer didn't even do the pre-delivery inspection. Tires were still at 40psi, frame plugs still in the glovebox...
Old 03-15-18, 08:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,072 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Yep, that was my first thought as well when I heard the recall involving a fuel pump, wasn't worried at all. Was half tempted to ask if they could just send it to me and I'd replace it since its so easy. I replaced one in a 2004 Mustang Cobra and that involved taking down the rear end and dropping the tank ha...

It is an extremely easy repair, takes a couple hours to replace. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that the fuel pump is located in the engine bay, they are usually near the fuel tanks. Kudos to Lexus engineering for placing it at such a simple location. This might be a stretch but its probably just as simple as replacing an air filter......
You are oversimplifying the fuel system. There are three pumps, one low pressure in the tank that's a bit of a PITA to replace, and two high pressure sitting atop the valve covers. Those are cam driven, the in tank pump is purely electrical, but is controlled by the ECM to ensure the pump isn't working to hard or too little. The engine uses the low pressure feed for the port injectors and the high pressure feed for the direct injectors. Because there are two HPFPs, there can be unusual problems with balance, and there are sensors and checkvalves in the system. In the IS F is it possible to connect the fuel lines improperly and cause the engine to run only at idle for a few minutes, then not run at all. AMHIK. The RC F and GS F fuel systems were redesigned and simplified to make this nearly impossible.
Old 03-19-18, 08:49 PM
usafakid09
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi all,
New here. Just got my GS F in February. Had the initial 30 day/1000 mile checkup and they performed the update then. Kept it over the weekend. Seems pretty harmless....wouldn't worry to much about it. There is a reason I switched from Porsche to Lexus. Just can't beat the Toyota reliability.
Old 03-20-18, 10:57 AM
gsfdream
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

several members on the fb group have already done the recall and all is few no issues to report.
Im dropping off my gsf this Friday morning and will pick it up in the evening after i get off work.
Old 03-21-18, 08:54 PM
Miznthrope
Rookie

Glad to hear these repairs are now shaping up and hope everyone's experience is uneventful and painless! I am still on the fence in moving forward now or waiting until later in the year for 2018 incentives. Really want one of these bad! Peace all and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: GS F Recall Repairs?