GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GS F and love bugs: Keep on driving?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18 | 06:05 PM
Miznthrope
Rookie

Default GS F and love bugs: Keep on driving?

Hello. For all owners that live in Florida or Deep South where love bugs arrive late April/May and then again in September —- do you just go for it and drive or just keep your car off the road until they dissipate?

i am asking seriously given all the venting and cooling going on in the front of our cars. Really worried those oil and transmission coolers will just get totally clogged and I read in the manual that you should not jet water directly into them.

Thoughts? Actual experiences? Thanks in advance! Mike

PS. Loving the car!
Old 04-08-18 | 07:16 AM
50plus
Driver School Candidate

These little paint burners can be dealt with. But you can't let your guard down, if left on your finish in the Florida sun for an extended period of time, their acidic blood will eat through your clear coat and eventually the base coat...no need to worry , just get a netted sponge from Walmart and after your ride check the leading edges of the grille, hood, roof, side view mirrors, any surface exposed to impacts. I just use plain hot water and gently remove bug guts, wipe with dry cloth after, done...make sure you have a really good base wax or polymer coat on these surfaces. After first moving to Florida 16 years ago I learned the hard way the damage these little paint burners can do when left on too long...during love bug season I clean impact areas no later than every two days after a cruise. As far as the vents up front, I use a hose with a gentle spray. Wish you the best.
Old 04-08-18 | 01:24 PM
Miznthrope
Rookie

Thanks 50+! I appreciate the advice. I too have grown up in Florida and we all have our "routines" for dealing with the f'in love bugs.

I am still having a mechanical concern here with love bugs. If you catch them on the wrong day, they can literally blanket the front of your vehicle. My BIG question: Is there any concern that they can foul the lower oil and transmission coolers? Or will they just burn off in reality?

Anyone know whether this is a concern or not? Peace