GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Why I regret not wrapping the front of my car....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18 | 05:44 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Depending on how deep some of those bumps are you might be able to get an estimate from a detailer that specializes in paint restoration. If its a surface scratch or not too deep on the clear coat you might be able to clean it up and clear bra it after the fact if you dont want more damage
Old 12-06-18 | 02:58 AM
Spam89
Intermediate

For those that are stating ppf is not worth it, you are wrong. All new cars, especially cars that are highway driven should get a partial ppf or full depending on how much you want to preserve the paint. Ppf will stop all rock chips, however, big rock chips will leave a small nip on the paint. This nip will be hardly noticeable once the film is taken off compare to big indents and chip marks without a ppf.
Old 12-07-18 | 03:53 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

PPF may stop some rock chips but will look ugly doing so. You'll have dirt lines around the perimeter of the vinyl as dirt builds along the edges and an ugly outline. You'll have a black stripe along your hood. Then the vinyl will yellow over time and your paint will fade differently than the rest of the car. It's just downright unsightly. Take a look at any Lexus with factory clear film. Triangle outlines. First thing I do when I get a new Lexus is rip all that vinyl off.

It's best to just leave the front end raw as is and just be careful how you drive. I've had over 16 cars and never have a problem. Yes some few tiny rock chips, but hardly visible. My cars are nearly museum grade and have been purchased coast to coast off forums without the buyers having even seen the car. Sold a guy one of my M3s from the opposite coast. Immaculate original paint for 15 years. I mean immaculate. Wired the money. So I know how to care for a car.

Plus with the cost to have someone PPF your car, you can simply use that money to repaint the bumper if you need to and still have money left over, assuming you ever need to.

It does not make practical sense and it does not make economic sense.

The GS-F is beautiful and meant to be enjoyed in its raw form. Having unsightly lines would ruin it for me. I'm very picky.

The OP had an unfortunate incident, I would've had that on dash cam and made the trucker pay for it. File an insurance claim OP.
Old 12-07-18 | 07:08 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E46CT
PPF may stop some rock chips but will look ugly doing so. You'll have dirt lines around the perimeter of the vinyl as dirt builds along the edges and an ugly outline. You'll have a black stripe along your hood. Then the vinyl will yellow over time and your paint will fade differently than the rest of the car. It's just downright unsightly. Take a look at any Lexus with factory clear film. Triangle outlines. First thing I do when I get a new Lexus is rip all that vinyl off.

It's best to just leave the front end raw as is and just be careful how you drive. I've had over 16 cars and never have a problem. Yes some few tiny rock chips, but hardly visible. My cars are nearly museum grade and have been purchased coast to coast off forums without the buyers having even seen the car. Sold a guy one of my M3s from the opposite coast. Immaculate original paint for 15 years. I mean immaculate. Wired the money. So I know how to care for a car.

Plus with the cost to have someone PPF your car, you can simply use that money to repaint the bumper if you need to and still have money left over, assuming you ever need to.

It does not make practical sense and it does not make economic sense.

The GS-F is beautiful and meant to be enjoyed in its raw form. Having unsightly lines would ruin it for me. I'm very picky.

The OP had an unfortunate incident, I would've had that on dash cam and made the trucker pay for it. File an insurance claim OP.
You are wrong. Ppf comes in different grades. The one you see at lexus dealers and such is filmed using a low tier film. A high quality ppf film like suntek ultra will not yellow or date. Also, the film will cushion the impact of rocks, thus creating 0 to very spec like zits on the paint. Why would you repaint the bumper? There is reason why a lot of people who takes there cars to the track apply ppf or duct tape to prevent rock chips.

Also, the turn out of the film depends on the ppf installer. A good installer will tact down the film to prevent line stains.
Old 12-09-18 | 01:24 PM
charley95
Pole Position

If you have dirt line around the edges you don't know how to care for it. I never have any build up around mine which is Xpel Ultimate. My 18 GS F Sport came from Lexus with the 3M on the partial hood and fenders. $425 option on the factory window sticker. It even has a L logo on the edges. The 3M is very terrible quality compared to the Xpel. I almost think the Xpel is glossier than the factory paint. If you have dirt buildup on the edges your using way too much polish/wax... It's very simple to remove if you do have buildup, just use a toothpick.
Old 12-10-18 | 05:02 PM
MasterWork
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrevorR
I have never had a car with carbon fiber, but could I just sand the piece and have it recleared?
Yes you can, but keep in mind that carbon fiber has a resin gel as the top coat which is different than traditional clear coat for paint.