GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Does the Honeymoon End?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 04:55 PM
Miznthrope
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Does the Honeymoon End?!?

Hey, all. Gratuitous post here: I cannot imagine the "honeymoon period" ending on this car. I cannot believe how much fun I have driving this car hard and how much it just thrills, surprises and satisfies in just getting out on a curvey backroad and getting on it. I rarely ever need anything beyond gear 3 or 4 in manual mode unless I want to see if I can hit 140 in 5th!!!!

I am almost thinking the only way to really, really enjoy the vehicle and see what it can do is to head to a track day. Is everyone else just as happy as I am? Anyone feel the only way to really see what the car does is to get her on a track?

Wow. I am just stoked and blown away! Hope it stays this way for another 10 years! Just change the brakes, tires and oil! Peace. Mike

P.S. Anyone know of Lexus doing any track days with supplied GS F's in second half of 2018 or 2019 in the states?

Last edited by Miznthrope; 04-28-18 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 04-28-18, 05:35 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Miznthrope
Hey, all. Gratuitous post here: I cannot imagine the "honeymoon period" ending on this car. I cannot believe how much fun I have driving this car hard and how much it just thrills, surprises and satisfies in just getting out on a curvey backroad and getting on it. I rarely ever need anything beyond gear 3 or 4 in manual mode unless I want to see if I can hit 140 in 5th!!!!

I am almost thinking the only way to really, really enjoy the vehicle and see what it can do is to head to a track day. Is everyone else just as happy as I am? Anyone feel the only way to really see what the car does is to get her on a track?

Wow. I am just stoked and blown away! Hope it stays this way for another 10 years! Just change the brakes, tires and oil! Peace. Mike

P.S. Anyone know of Lexus doing any track days with supplied GS F's in second half of 2018 or 2019 in the states?
Yes, what he said!! Except I want to get at least 15 years. Ha Ha.
Old 04-28-18, 09:15 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

Haha cool post ...

I'm actually impressed with Lexus. I under estimated thus car which is good cause I bought one.

Am I as thrilled as you are about it? Hmmmm... tough one. I came from an E60 M5 and a C63 AMG.

I think what I love the most about this Lexus is the reliability and features most.
Old 04-29-18, 03:19 AM
bklszl
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

My honeymoon ends dialy, when I have to park the car in the end of the day, but it starts over and over each time I open the door and start the engine Of course it does matter what kind of car you came from, in my case it's the most euphoric driving experience I ever had. The cliche is right, my GSF is not a tool, its a machine with a soul. This is the car, that makes me drive causeless, if I have to go from point A to B, I take the longest route possible, to enjoy the most of the time.
Old 04-29-18, 03:58 AM
TARS
Driver

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I second everything else said here! I just got mine a few days ago (2018 USB) had to wait almost 120 days for it, more than worth the wait! Struggling to wait for the break in to be over with before I give it the full enchilada! Came back yesterday from getting wrapped, already got an aFe intake and will get forged wheels next week. To Mike's point, I'm also absolutely stoked and blown away! Especially because the performance and experience that I get with this thing is meant to be consistently offered while maintaining reliability; to designo's point... I have had those other cars he mention as well and for anyone that have spent time at various dealers getting them (brand new cars) fixed all the time, you also know the definition of the word suck. To me the GS-F is a better E46 and E90 that actually has respect for the money you spent.

Went to the OEM track experience at Atlanta Motorsports Park with the wife. Thought it was going to be OK, it wasn't; it was great! Plenty of time behind the GS-F and LC-500 for both of us, I can definitively recommend the experience. Got the discount which was maybe the main point of going I guess. My car will go to the track without a doubt. It is possible to do so within reason and keep the car in excellent conditions. I do all the maintenance of this car and my wife's 16 GS-350 to include Techstream etc. The GS-F has what it takes for occasional track duty while being your daily driver.

I hope everybody here enjoys their machines as much I do and I congratulate everyone for finding their own way of affording and justifying such an amazing car. This car is something to be proud off.
The following 2 users liked this post by TARS:
bklszl (04-30-18), Bzguy78 (05-03-18)
Old 04-29-18, 04:03 AM
TARS
Driver

Talking

This is the car, that makes me drive causeless, if I have to go from point A to B, I take the longest route possible, to enjoy the most of the time.[/QUOTE]

Heading for Starbucks now through the longest possible route I can come up with!
Old 04-29-18, 06:26 AM
Fineito
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tars - I love both the GSF and LC500. You drove both. Besides the difference between sedan and coupe, were you more impressed with one over the other from a real world driving perspective? I'm thinking about a 2018 GSF come end-of-year clearance.

Another comment, and purely a personal one from my perspective...I love the general design formula of Aston Martins, including the new DB11. To me, the LC500 is every bit as impressive as the DB11 from a design perspective, for 1/2 the cost. And, to me, for the things I personally value, I prefer normally aspirated over a turbo, realizing there are things a turbo does better.
Old 04-29-18, 07:24 AM
TARS
Driver

Fineito - Drove both in and out of the track as you mentioned and my experience regarding a real life application is that the GS-F is by far more useful, practical and enjoyable than the LC can or could be. The LC has an incredible interior, perfect driving position, incredible elegance, sound, looks, etc... But the GS-F has the same quality and feel of craftsmanship, more versatility and to me it felt that at 140 mph while braking at 1.4G, the GS-F's felt better planted and predictable than the LC. ...Of course the GS-F is truly an "F" car, the LC is still not even on its F-Sport form yet (if that ever happens)... Meaning that once the LC gets a higher iteration (probably an LC-F with the 4.0L twin turbo) the result will be Mercedes AMG-GTR level performance.

The DB-11 has also been on my mind, it is an astonishing car. But for that money I would postulate that the LC-F will be superior while being the reliable machine that we know it will be. My current "plan" is for that (LC-F) to be my next car somehow, hahaha. In its current form, the LC's brakes could not hang with the Brembos on the GS-F and were fading when pushed as its expected. The tires were also not as good as the GS-F and will break loose in a less linear way as compared to the GS-F. I "won" some little competition and my reward was to get schooled by some hot shot driver by the name of Pruett on how its done. Can not tell you how awesome was to be in the passenger side with my wife on the back at 90 MPH sideways on the GS-F! I also got to do the same with him on the LC and it was also simply amazing.

Watch this:
To me there is nothing like an aspirated high revving engine. If an LC-500 F-Sport could be what's on that video, that will be my dream car.
The following users liked this post:
Fineito (04-30-18)
Old 04-29-18, 02:50 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

Modifying prolongs that honeymoon stage..

lets do it!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-29-18, 05:53 PM
Miznthrope
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great points and enjoy all the replies. Unlike designo, I did not come from an M5 or C63 AMG. I am coming from a SUV (LX 570 --- got handed over to my wife). My only other flirtation with some performance was a 2011Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT --- thing was so much fun and cornered amazingly well (just got sick of rowing gears --- I know....heresy!!!). Actually, our GS F TVD feels very similar in handling from what I recall ---- just way more POWER!!!

Anyhow, I absolutely AGONIZED about getting either the C63S AMG, M5 or E63 AMG (toyed with Caddy CTS-V too, but just not a fan of the body or interior). IMO, only the C63S AMG should be compared to the GS F. I realize the GS F is a little bigger and the C63S likely wins the power battle. But trying to put the GS F against the M5 or E63 (when similarly optioned up to the GS F) isn't apples to apples. The price differential is so much higher with the Bimmer and Benz.

For me, it all boiled down to what is the most fun I could have, and coupled that with the discounted price of a new 2017 GS F that I scored, combined with the reliability I expect from being a Lexus vehicle owner already, I just could not stomach the M5 or E63 price ---- I am sure I would have been astonished and amazed with both, but I'd rather pocket the savings for tires, brake pads and oil changes ONLY! hehe! The C63S was really, really tempting and not much more expensive $11k or so the way I wanted it optioned up. But since I plan on holding onto the car for a long time, the Lexus GS F was the clear choice.

Happy to say I just don't smell any whiff of buyer's remorse on this purchase!!! The honeymoon continues!!!! Peace and be safe out there all! Mike
Old 04-29-18, 06:23 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Next month will be my 18 month Anniversary with my GS-F. Still loving every moment with it. Just hit 7k miles on the F, yes I know not a lot and the car is my daily! My commute is very short.

I just wrapped the entire car in clear bra and topped it with Ceramic Pro and it looks absolutely Insane!!! Absolutely oogle over the USB 2.0 and Red Interior every day and love it the more i drive it. Needless to say, were still in the honeymoon stage and I don't see it ending anytime soon. Looks like she's the one boys
Old 04-29-18, 06:35 PM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Drove both at Autoclub Speedway in Fontana at one of the Lexus Performance Schools. The LC was fun but having to wear a helmet kinda hinders the experience and the entire experience was sort of a "forced intensity" since you're pushing it to the max from the get-go and don't really have a chance to just leisure drive. Same with the GSF, but I leisure drive mine all the time so I was just Auto-X in the GSF. haha.

Transmission and sound in the LC >>> GSF by far.
Old 05-01-18, 01:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

I still like my IS F better. More fun to toss around, and with the OS Giken TCD and polyurethane bushings, it's easier to drive at the limit. Every time I really push the GS F, I think this thing really needs better rear suspension. Just me though.

Neither of the Fs is as much fun as the Supra but that's to be expected...
Old 05-03-18, 05:42 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had mine 16 months and still Loving it. It's so mechanical and direct feeling. The car just feels more connected and raw than any of it's competitors. The car really hides it's weight and handles so predictable. It's just a blast to drive! If I could change anything (besides the absolute garbage infotainment) it would be the transmission. It's not very well sorted compared to the ZF. It gets the job done but could use some upgrades. Also the top end could use some more power and more free revving feel. Hopefully the JoeZ exhaust I ordered will help with that! And the paint seems to chip really easily.

First car in a LONG time I plan on keeping. I had my M5 and M3 less than 2 years and wanted something different. The GSF is not super competitive on paper but in real driving, it's damn near perfection.
The following 2 users liked this post by RayKnight:
Bzguy78 (05-03-18), Miznthrope (05-03-18)
Old 05-03-18, 01:07 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

15 months of ownership (RCF though), it's just pointless to drive this car in eco mode no matter how many times I've considered saving on gas.

I can't say I drive it that hard often since my 8 mile commute doesn't warm up the car much but anytime I can take a longer trip I'm always wasting gas in 4-6k rpm to enjoy how the V8 sounds.

Quick Reply: Does the Honeymoon End?!?