GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Cks Coilovers on my GSF are ****en Amazing

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-20, 01:08 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you do the install right, there's no "settle-in" on any suspension. I watched the video. Disappointing how many important points were ignored with this install. First, the nut on the shock is semi captive. You are supposed to loosen the bolt, NOT the nut, that's why you had to hammer it off with a pipe over your wrench. This is very clear if you use the factory service manual. Also, you need a lead face or babbit faced hammer if you want to hit your ball joints directly to remove them without damaging the threads. Spinning the nut down as you did and hitting it with a hard faced hammer has a less than stellar effect on the tabs used to secure the nut with the lock pin.

Most importantly, I didn't see anyone loosen all the control arm pivot bolts and reset them for normal ride height with the new shocks, so the bushings will be under constant stress and they'll wear out faster than they should. This is a common suspension install mistake and leads to people saying "has the car settled yet" when if the job is done correctly, there is never a change in ride height until years later when the springs sag.

Details for the 2IS are here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ere-first.html

Divorced spring setups are only problematic because the calculations are more complex and getting a selection of springs in a bespoke size is never fun. Coils over the shocks have no mechanical advantage over divorced springs if both are properly tuned. Comments about the coilover's inherent superiority are bro science and have nothing to do with understanding suspension design.

Didn't see a torque wrench used once in this install. Every one of the bolts removed has a torque specification from the factory. There really is a reason for this. No one would want to fly on an airplane assembled by mechanics ignoring torque specifications. I don't know why anyone would want to drive a car without properly tightening the fasteners responsible for keeping the wheels pointed in the right direction.

OP - Glad you are happy with your install and your subscribers. Hopefully no one follows your instructions and gets hurt because they failed to understand the details and how important they are.
Lobuxracer has always been a great member of this forum. His technical knowledge is always very impressive and his willingness to share this is a great asset to the club lexus community. Thank you to Lobuxracer for all you great contributions as well as the OP for posting these videos.
The following users liked this post:
anbark22 (12-11-20)
Old 12-12-20, 07:22 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Truth be told, I have made most of these errors in the past. Especially hammering on a castle nut and mushrooming the ball joint threads. Sometimes you can get away with it, but recommending it isn't something I'd ever do. I've also used long pipes to force fit suspension pieces because I didn't loosen the pivots when I should have. I've seen a few videos on YouTube showing this as well.

The whole bushing reset concept was the result of seeing the posts in the SC and GS forums about LCA bushings going bad. My Supra has the same parts on it, they're 27 years old, and the bushings are still in excellent shape. Every time I have adjusted the ride height, I've reset the bushings as a result of reading the FSM for the Supra way back in 1994. It's a real PITA, but it saves your bushings. That "settling" process is actually the bushings breaking down from being stressed while sitting still. None of this means the bushings can't tolerate stress, they do that everyday when you are driving. It's just setting them so they're under stress while the car is static that accelerates their demise.

Last, but most important, kudos to gsfdeam for taking criticism as I intended it - help, not rebuke. It's really hard to read intentions in a post, and I know I can sound abrasive at times. I just hate seeing people make the same mistakes I have!
The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Dre01SS (12-12-20), TARS (12-13-20), TXDrew (03-05-22)
Old 01-07-21, 09:24 PM
jimtom
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CKS vs SWIFT coils springs

gsfdream, this is a great write up and very nice to have for us that are getting ready to get this done.

I have a few questions regarding how this setup is treating you since you had it installed.
How has the whole setup held up? any issues? repairs or readjustments since you had this put together? Anything you like or dislike about it so far? anything you would recommend to do different?
As for the spring rates, how comfortable are 14/10 s swifts working out on regular street driving? are they harsh or just nice and subtle over blacktop?

lobuxracer, appreciate the pointers for resetting the bushings this is something I had no clue about.

Thanks in advance folks..

Last edited by jimtom; 01-08-21 at 10:06 AM. Reason: opening new thread