GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

RR Racing tune.... 500 Bucks for 6hp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 02:32 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts
Default RR Racing tune.... 500 Bucks for 6hp?

Now I've seen some strange claims in my life, but this has got to be the best of them all.

Their honesty is commended though LOL.
Am I seeing this right?

If I go ahead and install headers, and get their tune, I'll be paying 500 bucks for maybe 6hp ( taking into consideration that dyno results aren't always consistent ) ?????

Come again? Are they serious?

Check this link out

https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...gsftune001.htm
Old 07-17-18, 05:36 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Seems ok to me? They are offering a custom tune based on the modifications of your specific vehicle and likely will provide the appropriate parameters for the car for long term reliability. Such as appropriate a/f ratios so you don’t blow the engine prematurely. In this case it goes beyond just HP gains.

Although, I would say the best tune will be done on a dyno or during a track session to ensure proper a/f. So that’s my only gripe against mail order tunes.

Do have to mention that I am new to Lexus vehicles. But I have done tuning sessions with the several mustang cobras that I’ve had and the few Dodge Vipers that I’ve had.
Old 07-17-18, 10:29 AM
MRonan83
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I know(been told) this could actually be very beneficial. Hopefully someone else can chime in on if this is true or not since I'm only a couple months into owning mine. But the salesman that sold me my GS-F had previously owned a RCF and a GSF that he had modded pretty heavily. He was telling me that you can do intake, headers, exhaust, ect, ect, ect but at the end of the day, the ECU will "de-tune" itself back to a stock(ish) HP/torque rating after a few thousand miles. He said that in order for you to keep those gains, you HAVE to do an ECU tune. So if this is true, then the $500 to tune your car to your mods would be beneficial. But TrevorR is spot on, the only way to do it right is on a dyno and see where you A/F ratio is at. Anyone else heard of our cars "de-tuning" themselves?
Old 07-18-18, 01:21 AM
designo
Pole Position

That's an interesting piece of info!
Installing physical upgrades will cause the car's ECU to retard power accordingly.

Now if that's true, that's one damn smart Engine Management System.
Old 07-18-18, 11:51 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

^^^^It is DEFINITELY not true on my ISF. I would assume it's the same on the GSF.

Lou
Old 07-18-18, 03:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,968 Likes on 2,402 Posts

RRR doesn't modify AFRs in their tunes. If you read through the history of them, you'll see they change ignition timing to get more power. They're just as afraid of someone running bad fuel as Lexus is, so they leave the AFR alone.
Old 07-19-18, 02:51 AM
designo
Pole Position

The reason why I'm skeptical about all this is because when i owned an E60 M5, I dynoed it stock and got 404whp.

I installed the Evosport long tube headers and dynoed it a few days after the install and got 438 whp.

That's an immediate gain of 34 whp from just a header replacement.

But here's the cookie... I got a custom tune to go with the headers which I installed a week later.. and got 462 whp.

All runs were made on the same dyno, same climate conditions and all results were SAE factor 5 corrected.

That is a 25 whp gain just from a tune which brought the best out of those headers.

And that's pretty much my personal benchmark.. and i do apologise if I don't have any other experiences to go by.
Old 07-19-18, 10:47 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
Now I've seen some strange claims in my life, but this has got to be the best of them all.

Their honesty is commended though LOL.
Am I seeing this right?

If I go ahead and install headers, and get their tune, I'll be paying 500 bucks for maybe 6hp ( taking into consideration that dyno results aren't always consistent ) ?????

Come again? Are they serious?

Check this link out

https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...gsftune001.htm
Well you have to give it to RR racing for their honesty, talked to them before and they impressed me as no BS, straight shooters. Do keep in mind that the 6 HP you mentioned is on top only and you have to factor in the 17 WTQ increase down in the power band.The other important variable that an excellent tuner can tweak in an ECU that does not reflect in a dyno sheet is a car's driveability and response, both of which significantly enhances the driving experience if done right.

Can any other tuner extract more? There is no else that seems to offer tunes for the GSF/ISF so who knows. Whether or not it's worth it is really a personal choice but if Im putting on headers it would be a tough choice for me NOT to go with the tune because given the limited mods you can do to the platform, other than supercharging it, why not just do it. But I get it that the bang for the buck factor is low.

As far as an etune vs a dyno tune on a simple header install, I doubt the gain, if any, will be significant enough given an addition of a header is simple, assuming there is even a tuner who can tweak a GSF/ISF ECU on a dyno.

Last edited by Autobacs; 07-19-18 at 10:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Autobacs:
ac253189 (06-14-20), designo (08-07-18)
Old 08-07-18, 11:34 PM
designo
Pole Position

Well said..
Personally, I just think there's no value for money when it comes to an ECU tune for the GSF. 6hp does not justify 500 bucks.
The following users liked this post:
DWCOILE (03-08-21)
Old 06-12-20, 11:27 AM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

Anyone running one of these tunes and think it’s worth the investment?
Old 06-12-20, 12:29 PM
Onsit
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Well you have to give it to RR racing for their honesty, talked to them before and they impressed me as no BS, straight shooters. Do keep in mind that the 6 HP you mentioned is on top only and you have to factor in the 17 WTQ increase down in the power band.The other important variable that an excellent tuner can tweak in an ECU that does not reflect in a dyno sheet is a car's driveability and response, both of which significantly enhances the driving experience if done right.

Can any other tuner extract more? There is no else that seems to offer tunes for the GSF/ISF so who knows. Whether or not it's worth it is really a personal choice but if Im putting on headers it would be a tough choice for me NOT to go with the tune because given the limited mods you can do to the platform, other than supercharging it, why not just do it. But I get it that the bang for the buck factor is low.

As far as an etune vs a dyno tune on a simple header install, I doubt the gain, if any, will be significant enough given an addition of a header is simple, assuming there is even a tuner who can tweak a GSF/ISF ECU on a dyno.

That's not entirely true, there is now open software available that has unlocked the bootloader of the RC-F/GS-F and are selling their tools to experienced tuner shops to allow for etuning and local Dyno tuning.

At the moment one shop out in Colorado I believe had some fantastic gains on the RC-F. The providers of that specific tuning platform are competent software engineers and are adding quite the feature set.
  • E85 support with flex fuel integration
  • Different fuel maps per transmission mode (eco/normal/sport).
it will take a little while for tuners that are interested in tunning and switching software. But at the moment there is quite some competition growing.

E85 if they release it and a competent tuner provides a tune for it. Some interesting results could be uncovered on an otherwise stock vehicle.

@designo wait it out and see what happens if more tuners jump on board to ovtuner platform.
Old 06-12-20, 12:39 PM
designo
Pole Position

I came from a 3rd Gen GS460, drove her 9 years, no tune available.
So excuse my pessimism
Old 06-12-20, 12:43 PM
Onsit
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
I came from a 3rd Gen GS460, drove her 9 years, no tune available.
So excuse my pessimism
I PMd you details, in the event forum admins deem linking competition to a forum sponsor being unfavorable.
Old 06-12-20, 03:33 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

@Onsit could you PM me said tuner info as well?
Old 06-12-20, 11:14 PM
designo
Pole Position

Thank you for PMing me.
One thing I personally forgot to mention is that non-US cars have a different ECU.

We are even deeper in the no hack category.

Quick Reply: RR Racing tune.... 500 Bucks for 6hp?