Spent some time with a GS-F, some questions for y'all

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 05:39 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Spent some time with a GS-F, some questions for y'all

Hey everyone,

finally spent some time (about an hour and a half) with a 17 GS-F. The car is very good, the engine is a dream and the sound is pretty good in stock form. My sales consultant wasn't very knowledgeable though. I have been looking for the owner's manual online but cant find the PDF. So I figure I'd ask the experts here:

1) I know Toyota still doesn't do carplay/android integration, but does it do ipod integration? Can I plug in an ipod touch and control it from the infotainment center? Salesman didn't know. I left mine at the house (I know, dumb move).

2) that joystick thing on the infotainment center. Its horrible. I played around with a '19 10th anniversary RCF with the new touchpad interface. It is eons better than the old system. Just an FYI

3) What exactly is the difference between sport and sport+ modes? I drove 15-20 mins in each mode, on freeway/residential areas, low speed, high speed and didn't feel any difference in throttle input, steering feel or suspension.

4) This particular 17 has been sitting in the lot for over a year now, it has sub 100 miles on the ODO and the price went from 88ish to 75K for a drop of 15% from MSRP. While its much more reasonable, is it possible to negotiate it further without insulting the dealer? Does anyone know where to find the invoice price or MMR?

5) The car has ventilated seats but after an hour of driving/sitting on them, I never felt any air moving from the backrest and barely (barely) anything from the bottom cushion even on their highest setting. Is this normal? What is the ventilation pattern? Salesman (again) didn't know.

6) Do the seats have inflatable lumbar support? Oddly enough I didn't find it and of course, salesman didn't know

7) How many services come with the car? Salesman said 4 services during 2 years or 20K miles which ever is first. The info I have seen is one at 1K and one at 5K miles.

8) Can the HUD display anything other than vehicle speed and the lanes (for the lane keep assist)? Can it display the gear you're in or the revs? What can it display? I pushed the buttons every possible way and never found anything different. The saleman of course didn't know.

9) Still don't know where all of the speakers are. Salesman didn't know that one either.

Thanks again for the feedback, appreciate it everyone.

EDIT: found the owner's manual.

Last edited by texaslexii; 08-01-18 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-01-18, 06:40 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

Didn't see your edit at the bottom but i'll post anyways (you may want to put it at the top)

Originally Posted by texaslexii
Hey everyone,

finally spent some time (about an hour and a half) with a 17 GS-F. The car is very good, the engine is a dream and the sound is pretty good in stock form. My sales consultant wasn't very knowledgeable though. I have been looking for the owner's manual online but cant find the PDF. So I figure I'd ask the experts here:

1) I know Toyota still doesn't do carplay/android integration, but does it do ipod integration? Can I plug in an ipod touch and control it from the infotainment center? Salesman didn't know. I left mine at the house (I know, dumb move).
Yes you can browse by artist, album, song, genre, composers, etc, however you are at the mercy of the joystick so i tend to just play via bluetooth and put my phone on random while i drive so i don't have to keep changing it.

2) that joystick thing on the infotainment center. Its horrible. I played around with a '19 10th anniversary RCF with the new touchpad interface. It is eons better than the old system. Just an FYI
Yep, a good amount of us would have that as one of our complaints. there's not enough resistance on it so your cursor ends up flying around and missing where you want to put it

3) What exactly is the difference between sport and sport+ modes? I drove 15-20 mins in each mode, on freeway/residential areas, low speed, high speed and didn't feel any difference in throttle input, steering feel or suspension.
Sport mode slightly increases throttle response and you'll slightly hear the ASC (active sound control - exhuast sound comes in through rear speakers) kick in. Sport+ mode is very different - tighter steering, very quick throttle response, revs are adjusted to be higher in every gear for quicker shifts and the ASC is on full (I'd say 90+ % of GSF drivers turn ASC off every time they put it into sport+ mode)

4) This particular 17 has been sitting in the lot for over a year now, it has sub 100 miles on the ODO and the price went from 88ish to 75K for a drop of 15% from MSRP. While its much more reasonable, is it possible to negotiate it further without insulting the dealer? Does anyone know where to find the invoice price or MMR?
You can get more off of it for sure. Check out the thread on what people are paying and you'll see what type of discounts people are negotiating on top of the advertised discount. To put it into perspective, I was able to get another 8K off of their 10K discount last year on my '16.

5) The car has ventilated seats but after an hour of driving/sitting on them, I never felt any air moving from the backrest and barely (barely) anything from the bottom cushion even on their highest setting. Is this normal? What is the ventilation pattern? Salesman (again) didn't know.
This is a problem that some of us have recognized - the vented/heated seats don't really work too well. Not sure on pattern but you'll feel it slightly on both the seat bottom and seat back.

6) Do the seats have inflatable lumbar support? Oddly enough I didn't find it and of course, salesman didn't know
Yes, it's a round button further back from the main seat controls on the side of the seat

7) How many services come with the car? Salesman said 4 services during 2 years or 20K miles which ever is first. The info I have seen is one at 1K and one at 5K miles.
2 services, 1st and 2nd

8) Can the HUD display anything other than vehicle speed and the lanes (for the lane keep assist)? Can it display the gear you're in or the revs? What can it display? I pushed the buttons every possible way and never found anything different. The saleman of course didn't know.
The HUD can display many things: speed, speed limit of road, tachometer, gear, rev indicator, route guidance (if using built in map directions), etc

9) Still don't know where all of the speakers are. Salesman didn't know that one either.
17 speakers distributed throughout, haven't looked to see where every one of them are.

Thanks again for the feedback, appreciate it everyone.

EDIT: found the owner's manual.
The following users liked this post:
bviverette (08-27-18)
Old 08-02-18, 08:23 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

^^^Hit every point accurately

As for the price of your car, that's a great price without rebates. If you look at the thread where they were giving huge discounts, that was in combination with the $5k and $8k rebates they were doing late last year. As of today, there aren't any rebates on the GSF. I got my GSF for an even 70k without TTL etc. That was in combination with the $8k rebate.

My take? Take it, because who knows if Lexus ever gives those huge rebates again.

Last edited by TrevorR; 08-02-18 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-02-18, 01:01 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies everybody! I scheduled an appointment with a different dealer in DFW, gonna go look at a 17 with 900 miles on the clock, asking price 70K, which is 5K less than the new one with 100 I drove yesterday.

I plan on focusing more on the features and tech this time around since I did mostly driving dynamics. I hope this car's cooled/ventilated seats feel ventilated by comparison.
Old 08-06-18, 08:59 AM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the replies everybody! I scheduled an appointment with a different dealer in DFW, gonna go look at a 17 with 900 miles on the clock, asking price 70K, which is 5K less than the new one with 100 I drove yesterday.

I plan on focusing more on the features and tech this time around since I did mostly driving dynamics. I hope this car's cooled/ventilated seats feel ventilated by comparison.
Did you buy it? I saw that it sold.
Old 08-06-18, 09:04 AM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by crazych42
Did you buy it? I saw that it sold.

No, didnt buy it. This particular one I drove in San Antonio is still available.
Old 08-06-18, 04:19 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

If you still have time to wait, sign up for a performance track event and usually there’s a discount for attending. Usually I think it’s enough to cover the track event, maybe more but still it’s something more and fun.

I personally like the joystick better than the touch pad. If you think about it, joystick is like Acura’s 1:1 track pad cause you can’t move the mouse further than the edge so you always know where the mouse is. Like everyone else mentions, you have to adjust to the snapping and figure out which sensitive works best for you so you don’t overshoot.

In my experience, nav works pretty close to Waze directions. Just have can’t be moving to input directions from the Navi app on the phone which sucks.

Last edited by baconRx; 08-06-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 05:32 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by baconRx
If you still have time to wait, sign up for a performance track event and usually there’s a discount for attending. Usually I think it’s enough to cover the track event, maybe more but still it’s something more and fun.

I personally like the joystick better than the touch pad. If you think about it, joystick is like Acura’s 1:1 track pad cause you can’t move the mouse further than the edge so you always know where the mouse is. Like everyone else mentions, you have to adjust to the snapping and figure out which sensitive works best for you so you don’t overshoot.

In my experience, nav works pretty close to Waze directions. Just have can’t be moving to input directions from the Navi app on the phone which sucks.

My issue with the track event is will the dealer(s) honor the 5K or so that you get after attending the track event? The few dealers I have been talking to will do 10-15K off sticker in lieu of all manufacturer discounts, meaning they include the factory 5K off (on existing 2018s) so it sounds to me like they wont honor the track event discount on top of the 5K off from the factory, plus whatever you negotiate down. The 3 or so cars I have driven will not go down further than 75K, for a new 2017 or 2018.

My dream deal for this car is an Lcert with 5 years warranty, no higher than 65K and 4 digit miles. They're out there, I just have to find time to drive to Cali or Florida to get it done. Negotiating long-distance is proving to be challenging though. The (only) dealer in ABQ that has one already pulled some bull***** and backtracked from a written (email) agreement to a price. I am glad I didn't waste 12 hours driving and have them **** me off on the trade-in value.

I do have to be patient though, but don't want to wait till December. By then the truck will have hit the 3-year mark, 30K miles and out of warranty, all of which will make it drop in value drastically.

Last edited by texaslexii; 08-06-18 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 07:44 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Pretty sure track event is only for new purchases. They should accept it on top of any other deal. When you apply it you gotta bring it up last because it’s like any other promo Lexus corporate has. They pretty much credit the dealership that amount. Dealerships have no control over incentives from my understanding but they do have control of how low they’re willing to offer you to move that car to either get it off their lot or get that extra sale to meet some sales incentive. If they say bottom line they want to give you is 10k before incentives you gotta work them down to there. If you start by saying you have that credit, they may say the most they’ll go down is 9k before that credit.
Old 08-07-18, 09:53 AM
crazych42
Pole Position

My issue with the track event is will the dealer(s) honor the 5K or so that you get after attending the track event? The few dealers I have been talking to will do 10-15K off sticker in lieu of all manufacturer discounts, meaning they include the factory 5K off (on existing 2018s) so it sounds to me like they wont honor the track event discount on top of the 5K off from the factory, plus whatever you negotiate down. The 3 or so cars I have driven will not go down further than 75K, for a new 2017 or 2018.

My dream deal for this car is an Lcert with 5 years warranty, no higher than 65K and 4 digit miles. They're out there, I just have to find time to drive to Cali or Florida to get it done. Negotiating long-distance is proving to be challenging though. The (only) dealer in ABQ that has one already pulled some bull***** and backtracked from a written (email) agreement to a price. I am glad I didn't waste 12 hours driving and have them **** me off on the trade-in value.

I do have to be patient though, but don't want to wait till December. By then the truck will have hit the 3-year mark, 30K miles and out of warranty, all of which will make it drop in value drastically.
What??? A dealer reneged on a written email agreement? That is just WRONG. I'd be reporting them to the various review sites so other's can be aware. At least report here so we know what dealer and the info.

I'm keeping track of your efforts to buy. You are a few months ahead of my purchase timeline. If you're buying used and out of state you may want to consider having a vehicle inspection company check out the car and send you detailed pics and info before traveling a long distance. These services can be around $100 and are worth the extra peace of mind.

I think you're right about the patience thing. The right car for the right price will come along.
Old 08-07-18, 10:00 AM
crazych42
Pole Position

I can't believe there are some dealers still holding onto brand new 2017s... Some have had them on their lots for well over a year and soon the 2019s will be showing up. Heck there are dealers that still have brand new '16s! I guess they feel there is someone out there that will buy them for MSRP!
Old 08-07-18, 01:49 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

I can't believe there are some dealers still holding onto brand new 2017s... Some have had them on their lots for well over a year and soon the 2019s will be showing up. Heck there are dealers that still have brand new '16s! I guess they feel there is someone out there that will buy them for MSRP!
Blame Lexus for overpricing the car to begin with. Blows my mind they didn't learn from the RCF pricing and then priced the GSF even more. But at this point, dealers should know by now that people aren't gonna buy the GSF at its MSRP when there are "better" cars at the same price as the GSF. CTSV, m4/m3 etc..

So yeah, blows my mind dealers are still holding onto some of their stock. At the same time, they kinda got screwed by Lexus due to its idiotic pricing. Then the dealers are stuck with a car they can't sell due to said idiotic pricing and not wanting to take a massive loss.
Old 08-07-18, 06:06 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Blame Lexus for overpricing the car to begin with. Blows my mind they didn't learn from the RCF pricing and then priced the GSF even more. But at this point, dealers should know by now that people aren't gonna buy the GSF at its MSRP when there are "better" cars at the same price as the GSF. CTSV, m4/m3 etc..

So yeah, blows my mind dealers are still holding onto some of their stock. At the same time, they kinda got screwed by Lexus due to its idiotic pricing. Then the dealers are stuck with a car they can't sell due to said idiotic pricing and not wanting to take a massive loss.
but didn’t they ask for those allocations or were they forced to take them? I can’t remember what the isf was price like but it can’t have been much better. I think the issue was the gs demanded a ridiculous 10k premium for the hybrid which they then had to put another premium on top of that price to differentiate the lines even more. 28k over the 350 is still a lot for a new engine, suspension, breaks, and carbon fiber trim in place of the aluminum. Really should have been priced around 75k max to start and it doesn’t even have the rear sun shade or power trunk lid right? It also loses trunk space
Old 08-08-18, 11:28 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx

but didn’t they ask for those allocations or were they forced to take them? I can’t remember what the isf was price like but it can’t have been much better. I think the issue was the gs demanded a ridiculous 10k premium for the hybrid which they then had to put another premium on top of that price to differentiate the lines even more. 28k over the 350 is still a lot for a new engine, suspension, breaks, and carbon fiber trim in place of the aluminum. Really should have been priced around 75k max to start and it doesn’t even have the rear sun shade or power trunk lid right? It also loses trunk space
$60-65k for the IS-F when new.
Old 08-08-18, 12:55 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

The dealer in SATX has a brand new 17, several 18s, two 19s in a variety of GS and RC Fs. The one 17 is a molten lava (unbelievably bright) listed from 88 to 75K with 100 on the ODO. The 17 RCF is listed for 60K with 150 on the ODO, in USB (that's a nice color)
The following users liked this post:
ModInJapan (09-04-18)

Quick Reply: Spent some time with a GS-F, some questions for y'all