GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Humming sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 01:12 PM
MRonan83
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Humming sound

I've had an intermittent humming sound in my car recently. I feel like it all started after I had the fuel pump recall done a month or so ago. After the pumps were installed I didn't notice anything. Then I would hear the sound every once and a while. But now it's pretty much every time I drive. At start up there is no noise but after the car gets warmed up and driving around it will have this faint humming sound. If I turn the car off and back on then it's gone. But once I start driving again then it will come back. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? I have an appt to take the car in next week but would love some input to help guide the service department in the right direction in case someone else has dealt with this before.

Thanks in advance!
Matt
Old 09-05-18, 03:12 PM
gsfdream
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

fuel pump software update for the pump in the gas tank. make sure they do it, could be the cause
Old 09-06-18, 02:10 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Hey Rafa, didn't you have this issue when they replaced your pump?
Old 09-06-18, 06:02 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

If it looks like the sound is coming from directly behind the driver seat underneath the floor then yes it’s most likely an ECU update that’s needed to adjust the voltage levels of the fuel pump
The following users liked this post:
designo (09-08-18)
Old 09-08-18, 12:50 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

That's good to know, I changed my pump and didn't experience anything odd.
Old 09-08-18, 05:56 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the same issue, got the update done yesterday
Old 09-11-18, 09:20 AM
gsfdream
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
Hey Rafa, didn't you have this issue when they replaced your pump?
yes i had and still have strange humming and weird hissing noises. the car runs fine and i only hear the sounds when windows up and radio off.
if i open windows and have radio on i dont hear it. so i just drive with radio on.
the car runs fine tho.
Old 09-12-18, 12:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Just be sure you're not hearing the seat cooling fan. The first time I heard it, I really though something was wrong, but it's normal.
Old 09-12-18, 07:52 AM
MRonan83
Driver

Thank you for all the suggestions! I don't feel like it's coming from behind the seat or from the floor. It seems to be coming from behind the dash or just on the other side of the firewall. I'll be sure to mention the ECU update to them though and just confirm that it was done when the pumps were installed. Taking the car in tomorrow so I'll let you all know.

Thanks again!
Old 09-13-18, 07:08 AM
MRonan83
Driver

Looks like it was in fact the low pressure fuel pump. After I took out the kiddos car seats and was able to get in the back, I could tell that the noise was coming from more towards the rear/floor of the car. Attached is the sheet that my service guy sent me. I could be wrong but looks like it could be something that happens with or without the fuel pump recall being done.
Old 09-13-18, 12:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

There was never a fuel pump recall on the GS F. This is the only fix. Reprogram the ECM to operate the pump differently so it doesn't make noise.
Old 09-13-18, 12:13 PM
MRonan83
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There was never a fuel pump recall on the GS F. This is the only fix. Reprogram the ECM to operate the pump differently so it doesn't make noise.
It was for the high pressure pumps that had the recall, not the low pressure pump in the tank. Not all were recalled but mine was one of them and had to order parts. https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/02/...el-pump-issue/
I originally felt like the noise was coming from the dash so I thought it was the new pumps they put in which are under the hood from what I know.

Picked up the car a few hours ago and all is good.

Old 09-13-18, 01:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes, they replaced the HPFPs, but those are in the engine bay. The pump in the back is a low pressure pump, and that pump has never been recalled or replaced unless someone suffered a genuine failure.
Old 10-09-19, 05:38 PM
gsfmike
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Any updates on this issue or fix? I purchased my 2016 gsf back in May and got it delivered to my front door. Im not sure if the previous owner performed the recall or not. When I drove it, this noise happened everytime, turned off the car, the sound would stay for 1-2 seconds. I took it to Lexus and they said they were not able to hear the sound so no repairs were done. I thought they made updates but I guess not. Nonetheless, I decided to lower my car, install exhaust and midpipe. Two weeks later, this sound happens intermittently but suddenly the sound went away. I am thinking about taking my car in soon to get this problem finally rectified because I want a peace of mind and not suddenly hear it again. Does my car need to be reverted back to stock to get this recall done? I don't want to waste my time and energy reverting the car back to stock if this is a recall issue. Should I demand Lexus to replace the fuel pump even if its currently not making the spaceship whirrling noise?
Old 10-09-19, 06:57 PM
robert2423
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

mine was doing this take it in and have the software reflashed like everyone is suggesting.

Quick Reply: Humming sound