Old 11-04-18, 12:30 PM
jallow33
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Prospective GS F Buyer

Hello All,

Long time lurker on the threads.

Currently own a 2IS350

Been looking for a while for a RC F or GS F (Prefer 4 doors, but RC F and other similar class coupes may be the exception)

There is a GS F I went to go see at a KIA dealership in the Houston area yesterday afternoon. With a quick Internet search, it appears to be the lowest priced in the country. (Most times can be too good to be true)

It's been there for about 3 months now as a lease trade in for a Stinger GT (interesting), my guess is majority of KIA clientele aren't coming to a Kia lot to look for this kind of vehicle.

With that being said, I went to for a test drive, and of course my interest still remains.

Has all the works:
TVD (Standard feature)
HUD
Black Leather
Radar Cruise
Lane Assist
etc...

Here is where it gets interesting...

The initial sales guy I was with didn't know anything about the car, and I basically schooled him on the features during the whole ride.

The car was initially priced at $52,999, now it's at $49,999.

What I don't like about the car as it stands, and to my dislike, is the aftermarket wheels.

It also has aftermarket exhaust, but I can live with that.

It is staggered with a 20 inch tire setup.

My preference is the OEM setup, which is 19 inch tire setup.

So during my sit down with the initial car salesman, I told him $45k today with the current wheel setup, being that it will cost rough $3500-4000 at minimum to get back to OEM setup, wheels and tires.

After this, the Sales Manager get's involved (The extra push for the sell, lol).

Long story short, he says they are in the currently at $52k, so $49,999 it is priced to sell. They can knock it down to $48k with the current wheel setup, before taxes and TTL (roughly $3-3500).

Say's if it doesn't sell, will be going to the local Manheim auction on Tuesday where it will sell for close to retail (Could be factual, who knows)

I also asked about the car's history while we were in discussion, and was told it was a clean, 1 owner, lease trade in. (Sounds good...)

I then reiterate, while I understand you may be taking a loss, my preference is OEM wheel tire setup, so my offer is that at $45k.

He then offered to give me a call tomorrow to see if the cost of switching it back to OEM, plus selling at his original price would make sense for them.

I said ok I will await your call Monday, and we will go from there, no handshake, no signature, no promises.

So being an educated and informed buyer, the first I do is call my buddy who has a Used Car dealer out of state, and have him run a quick Carfax and Autocheck.

Turns out, the car has an accident history, as well as 2 short term owners. Nothing major, but still the opposite of what I was told when it was asked.

I was also told you can easily sell the wheels and tires to recoup costs, but why go through all of that trouble? If spending this kind of money on a vehicle, I believe you shouldn't have to put any money into it, just get in and go.

To conclude, I am now at the point where between having to change back to OEM setup at my expense, plus the accident history(which I plan to bring up), the offer of $45k is fair.

Should I seal the deal? Or walk and just be patient for the next one?

Car is listed on Craigslist as well

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0810/overview/

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d...738863682.html

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=JTHBP1BL9GA001622&partner=CDM_O

Last edited by jallow33; 11-04-18 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-04-18, 12:54 PM
Bzguy78
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

If I were you, I would pass on these esp if it had record of 2 accidents. Plus the wheels the previous owner put is out of place and a disgrace to say the least. But OEM BBS wheels can be had for as low as $1500 at this time. But your decision in the end if you really wanted the car, plus that color is rare too esp in Houston.
Old 11-04-18, 01:12 PM
jallow33
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bzguy78
If I were you, I would pass on these esp if it had record of 2 accidents. Plus the wheels the previous owner put is out of place and a disgrace to say the least. But OEM BBS wheels can be had for as low as $1500 at this time. But your decision in the end if you really wanted the car, plus that color is rare too esp in Houston.
Yeah I'm already leaning in that direction, unless my offer is entertained. And yes, I concur, the aftermarket wheel setup, in my opinion, is no bueno.
Old 11-04-18, 04:50 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Get a report of the accident. If it was a mild fender bender or something very low speed, 48 isnt too bad. Look on autotrader as well. Make an account on lexus drivers and you can see the full service history of the vehicle, I wouldnt trust carfax much.
Old 11-04-18, 05:31 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd walk away. 95 days available... they can't sell it. Trade in value must have been around $42-43k. If you decide to buy it, it'll be a hard car to sell on your own if the dealer is having trouble doing so. Maybe the Stinger really does offer a better car experience to give this one up (or let go of the GS F due to unforseen issues lurking).
Old 11-04-18, 06:26 PM
SolidG1
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

No to the red.
No to the rims.
No to the accident.
No to 2 owners.
Just no, if this is a keeper.
Old 11-04-18, 06:39 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SolidG1
No to the red.
No to the rims.
No to the accident.
No to 2 owners.
Just no, if this is a keeper.
agree with the above and I wouldn't even at 45k.
Old 11-04-18, 07:44 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I would pass as well. Patience and a few more weeks or months is worth it for a car you will have for years. If you’re gonna spend that much, do it right. I do not like the red, the wheels, the accidents, and especially automatically having to do work (selling wheels) immediately after buying it. Keep looking. Pay more and get your dream car
Old 11-05-18, 02:22 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Stick to your end of the bargain. Don't bend over. Not even for a buck more.
If they're smart, they'll accept your offer.
Old 11-05-18, 12:27 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd walk away. Too many other choices out there than to buy one that has been in an accident.
Old 11-07-18, 01:12 PM
13FSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 2016 GSF with 8,500 miles on it has some mods done to it here is a link to it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/market/903243
Old 11-07-18, 02:19 PM
frugaldiva
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a reason why it hasn't sold in 3 months. I'm in Houston and traded in my GSF in July and it was sold in 2 days. I would definitely pass on this vehicle.
Old 11-07-18, 06:25 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

https://www.hatchtoyota.com/auto/use...w-az/31451007/
Old 11-08-18, 03:03 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Yeah I would def stick to your numbers, if they don't call it s all good. Although I would honestly leave it since they didn't tell you it had an accident. Either way let us know what you decide.
Old 11-10-18, 01:42 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Down to $48,999 now.
I'd walk, no run, they're not eating enough depreciation and when (if) you sell in the future, you will have to convince a potential buyer the accident isn't an issue. A dealer will definitely use it to low ball you. And, two owners who I'm sure babied it.

Run...Run fast....

Quick Reply: Prospective GS F Buyer