GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Wheel cleaning options

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-18, 11:32 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
OK so back to topic... I have the same issue with he break dust and the wheels all look black (from the inside) now...

Is there a good Degreaser to get the brake dust & other grime off? Also after washing what is the best sealer to use? F11 Topcoat or any others?
I can't answer the rest of your question but I CAN say that I ruined my old gunmetal IS350 wheels with degreaser. I ruined the coating. Bad advice from an autozone employee. Lesson learned.
Old 11-09-18, 02:17 PM
hvdcman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found after ceramic coating the wheels that I can use soap and water with a wheel brush (similar to Wheel Woolies) I can clean the wheels in a out 15-20 minutes. That is way better than the 30-40 it took prior to coating the wheels. I have seen ads where the wheels can just be hosed clean. Mine don't get clean but alot of the brake dust is removed then I hit them with the brushes. I must also say, after vacation, 2 weeks of rain and snow without a wash, it took 4 hours to clean the wheels one at a time off the car.....that was a pita!!
Old 11-09-18, 02:30 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hvdcman
I have found after ceramic coating the wheels that I can use soap and water with a wheel brush (similar to Wheel Woolies) I can clean the wheels in a out 15-20 minutes. That is way better than the 30-40 it took prior to coating the wheels. I have seen ads where the wheels can just be hosed clean. Mine don't get clean but alot of the brake dust is removed then I hit them with the brushes. I must also say, after vacation, 2 weeks of rain and snow without a wash, it took 4 hours to clean the wheels one at a time off the car.....that was a pita!!
Why take the wheels off to clean them? I’ve never worried too much about the brake dust and grime inside the wheel. Maybe I’m missing something?
Old 11-09-18, 06:27 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500

Why take the wheels off to clean them? I’ve never worried too much about the brake dust and grime inside the wheel. Maybe I’m missing something?
I take off the wheels every 3 months and giving them a full decontamination and cleaning. Taking off the wheel ensures that ever surface of the wheel is cleaned, including behind the spokes. Also, it allows me to clean the brakes. Not cleaning the wheels over time can lead to corrosion from the brake dust, especially during the summer and winter months.
Old 11-10-18, 08:58 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Spam89
I take off the wheels every 3 months and giving them a full decontamination and cleaning. Taking off the wheel ensures that ever surface of the wheel is cleaned, including behind the spokes. Also, it allows me to clean the brakes. Not cleaning the wheels over time can lead to corrosion from the brake dust, especially during the summer and winter months.
Aahh i see. I always noticed on my last car when I’d wash it I’d see rusty stuff wash out of one of the wheels but never saw the source. Maybe that’s why
Old 11-12-18, 02:33 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by hvdcman
I had my aftermarket wheels ceramic coated before the were installed on the GSF. After reading your comments, its seems that they videos you see online are a bit misleading cause the brake dust does not come after simply hosing off the wheels. There is considerable amount of time required to go in and around to clean the entire wheels.. I guess i may have to use some product over the ceramic coating like Topcoat F11 or something similar...

Last edited by finny76; 01-18-19 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-13-18, 07:39 AM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Waxed one front wheel (Meguiar's ultimate paste), left the other nekkid. The waxed rim collected much much more dust. Don't wax your rims!

Repeated the experiment with Armor All brake dust repellant. There was no discernible difference between the treated and untreated side.
Old 11-13-18, 07:43 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by stevesands
Waxed one front wheel (Meguiar's ultimate paste), left the other nekkid. The waxed rim collected much much more dust. Don't wax your rims!

Repeated the experiment with Armor All brake dust repellant. There was no discernible difference between the treated and untreated side.
Very helpful info!
Old 11-13-18, 07:48 AM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
I had my aftermarket wheels ceramic coated before the were installed on the GSF. After reading your comments, its seems that they videos you see online are a bi misleading cause the brake dust does not come after simply hosing the wheels. There is considerable amount of time required to go in and around to clean the entire wheels.. I guess i may have to use some product over the ceramic coating like Topcoat F11 or something similar...
pressure washer not hosing. A pressure washer will remove around 70 percent or more dust from the wheels when pressure washing.
Old 11-15-18, 07:06 AM
MrFuso
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My wheels are filthy, I plan on taking them off soon to wash them... I like the idea of soaping them up good and then hitting them carefully with my pressure washer.
Old 01-17-19, 08:53 PM
Sapo
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dawn soap works really well in cleaning dirt wheels. I personally ceramic coated my wheels, now I just pressure wash with very little soap.
Old 01-18-19, 03:12 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500
Ok so these wheels are pretty much a ***** to clean. I’m not interested in buying different ones right now so what do you guys recommend? I bought sonax wheel cleaner and it works great. BUT it’s $17 and I might get 5 washes out of it. I also bought the wheel woolies from chemical guys and use them with my wash bucket. Wheels are clean after for sure but I’m looking for any tips. Also I saw a video where a guy replaced his gsf pads with toms pads and supposedly they brake just as good with barely any dust. Thoughts?
You could try CQuartz Wheel and Plastic, this will help with the brake dust when its time to wash it off. I currently have it on my car and it makes the brake dust way easier to clean.

Old 01-18-19, 11:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Just beware of wheel cleaners. My brother-in-law used a professional wheel cleaner and it ruined the F "sticker" on the caliper - the silver disappeared but only partially and not on all the calipers. Whatever you do, test carefully before assuming it is safe.
Old 01-18-19, 11:04 AM
Sapo
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I know it's pricey and a little of people don't like their products, but Ammo wheel cleaners work great. Been using the wheel soap/wheel cleaner and haven't had any issues .
Old 01-18-19, 12:20 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

So the best method I’ve found is a combo of wheel cleaner at first, and then after wash using the soap bucket and wheel Woolies in soapy water to get into each wheel groove. It probably takes less than 2 minutes per wheel if that and it’s usually spotless after done. My last car only required a wash mitt and soap. No wheel cleaner lol

Sonax wheel cleaner extra strength worked GREAT and almost didn’t need much agitation. The problem was that the bottle was almost $20 and not that big. Now I use car guys which doesn’t work quite as well but is $50 for a whole gallon. It’s decent but not quite good enough to stand on its own. After I run out I may try another brand