GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Wheel cleaning options

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 03:05 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Wheel cleaning options

Ok so these wheels are pretty much a ***** to clean. I’m not interested in buying different ones right now so what do you guys recommend? I bought sonax wheel cleaner and it works great. BUT it’s $17 and I might get 5 washes out of it. I also bought the wheel woolies from chemical guys and use them with my wash bucket. Wheels are clean after for sure but I’m looking for any tips. Also I saw a video where a guy replaced his gsf pads with toms pads and supposedly they brake just as good with barely any dust. Thoughts?
Old 11-05-18, 06:10 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500
Ok so these wheels are pretty much a ***** to clean. I’m not interested in buying different ones right now so what do you guys recommend? I bought sonax wheel cleaner and it works great. BUT it’s $17 and I might get 5 washes out of it. I also bought the wheel woolies from chemical guys and use them with my wash bucket. Wheels are clean after for sure but I’m looking for any tips. Also I saw a video where a guy replaced his gsf pads with toms pads and supposedly they brake just as good with barely any dust. Thoughts?
Some people say some pads put off a little less dust, but they also say there is performance compromise.

I was using an Armor-All product that kinda repelled the dust for a little longer I felt, but as soon as the wheels saw any type or water, they were a mess. Bottom-line, they are messy. I tried several products like you, but my best results have been blasting it with a pressure washer once a week. No chemicals, just soap and water.

I have seen one or two say they just wipe them down after each drive. While I can see that as a solution, just not one for me.
Old 11-05-18, 06:33 PM
embassured
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I long ago gave up on any hope of a spray and rinse solution that satisfies. For the GSF it's wheel cleaner and a cloth scrub like every other car. The intricacies of the wheels means it's a 15 min exercise with every wash and I've accepted that fact. I have the revised pads (the OEMs replaced under warranty due to noise) and they dust considerably less!

Good luck...
Eric
Old 11-05-18, 07:05 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by embassured
I long ago gave up on any hope of a spray and rinse solution that satisfies. For the GSF it's wheel cleaner and a cloth scrub like every other car. The intricacies of the wheels means it's a 15 min exercise with every wash and I've accepted that fact. I have the revised pads (the OEMs replaced under warranty due to noise) and they dust considerably less!

Good luck...
Eric
Do you notice a performance compromise? I’m sure one is there if on a track, just wondering if you notice it during street driving
Old 11-06-18, 07:18 AM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Do you notice a performance compromise? I’m sure one is there if on a track, just wondering if you notice it during street driving
I also had mine replaced with OEM pads recommended by the TSB. Yes, there is definitely a change in initial bite, but they still stop fine. Granted, I probably do not drive mine as aggressively as some others, but it's fine for me. The pedal is a little softer, but they are quiet and I experience quite a bit less brake dust. The strange thing is the front driver's pads give more brake dust than the passenger's front pads????

I'll have the dealer check at the next service. Currently have 14,300 miles.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-18, 08:03 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Ok good to know that’s an option. Not sure if I want to trade pedal feel for less wheel cleaning but I may change my mind about that after a few more car washes!
Old 11-06-18, 06:28 PM
embassured
Rookie

IMO, the new pads seems smoother and more linear in feel. Whether there's a compromise - couldn't even begin to tell you. I notice absolutely zero performance impact on the street but then again, I have yet to experience any braking situation that has approached the brakes maximum stopping or fade limits.

Eric
Old 11-06-18, 08:57 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

IMO, the new pads seems smoother and more linear in feel. Whether there's a compromise - couldn't even begin to tell you. I notice absolutely zero performance impact on the street but then again, I have yet to experience any braking situation that has approached the brakes maximum stopping or fade limits.

Eric
Great to know. Dumb question: does the dealer swap them free or if not how much?
Old 11-06-18, 09:10 PM
embassured
Rookie

Great to know. Dumb question: does the dealer swap them free or if not how much?
I was within factory warranty and they were swapped at no-charge due to noise. There's a TSB regarding the noise (squealing ) issue and the no-cost swap to a more quiet pad compound. I never had to mention the TSB, just the noise and the service adviser was quick to offer the solution. Lexus at its finest.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-18, 10:22 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I was within factory warranty and they were swapped at no-charge due to noise. There's a TSB regarding the noise (squealing ) issue and the no-cost swap to a more quiet pad compound. I never had to mention the TSB, just the noise and the service adviser was quick to offer the solution. Lexus at its finest.

Good luck!
Same here.
Old 11-07-18, 07:13 AM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

So when I bought my car it took one wash to realize these wheels were a nightmare to clean. My brakes squeaked like hell so I did exercise the TSB on the pads. I also ceramic coated the wheels to make them easier to clean. I did purchase some after market wheels which ultimately fixed the issue. I say coat the wheels and use a pressure washer to clean. Will save you on cleaning supplies. My 2cents.
Old 11-07-18, 01:30 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, TSB brake pads and ceramic coating on the wheels do wonders to reduce the dust and make them easier to clean. Go to the detailing forum for other spray on cleaning methods. I will say that nothing beats good ole car wash/detailing soap and water and proper wheel washing brushes and rags.
Old 11-07-18, 05:37 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Thanks for all the feedback. I still have a while on the factory Warranty so I may do the brake pad option in the future. I’m going to keep cleaning like I’ve been doing and see how long I can take it LOL
Old 11-07-18, 06:28 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by anbark22
I also had mine replaced with OEM pads recommended by the TSB
Can you post the number please? Also looking to replace mine.

EDIT: found it, L-SB-0013-16. Looks like they're the alternative pads that the guy from bullets garage said suck.

Last edited by texaslexii; 11-07-18 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-09-18, 11:07 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

OK so back to topic... I have the same issue with he break dust and the wheels all look black (from the inside) now...

Is there a good Degreaser to get the brake dust & other grime off? Also after washing what is the best sealer to use? F11 Topcoat or any others?

Quick Reply: Wheel cleaning options