GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Replaced battery and the horn won't stop blowing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-18, 05:10 PM
crwiseman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replaced battery and the horn won't stop blowing?

I replaced a dead battery today, when I connected the negative cable (after the positive), the horn starts blowing non-stop? I previously replaced the battery a month ago (new battery wouldn't hold it's charge) and I did not have this problem.

Before I changed the main battery today I replaced the key fob battery figuring that this is why my doors would not unlock and then I realized the main battery was the culprit.

Any clues???
Old 11-17-18, 05:25 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by crwiseman
I replaced a dead battery today, when I connected the negative cable (after the positive), the horn starts blowing non-stop? I previously replaced the battery a month ago (new battery wouldn't hold it's charge) and I did not have this problem.

Before I changed the main battery today I replaced the key fob battery figuring that this is why my doors would not unlock and then I realized the main battery was the culprit.

Any clues???
You most likely placed the terminals on backwards initially and blew the fuse. So even if the terminals are now correct, the fuse is blown so the horn will go off to include other electronics being on constantly.

that or if you placed them on correctly initially, you blew a fuse.
Old 11-17-18, 05:30 PM
crwiseman
Driver School Candidate

TrevorR: Thanks for the response. I doubt that I reversed polarity initially as I have been wrenching for like 45 years and have never made that mistake. if I DID make that mistake , what fuse are you talking about?
Old 11-18-18, 01:12 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Did you try starting the car with the horn blaring? Try that or hit your fob lock/unlock buttons.
Old 11-18-18, 05:13 PM
crwiseman
Driver School Candidate

OK, after much trial and error, this method works perfectly if your battery dies and your Lexus locks down thinking you're are trying to steal it:

If it's a factory alarm, exit the vehicle and close all doors then lock the vehicle with the key from the driver's door key slot. Attach the battery leads and then unlock the driver's manually with key and the alarm turns off instantly. Taa Daa!
The following 3 users liked this post by crwiseman:
designo (02-04-23), ScatmanATL (02-05-23), youdakine (11-12-21)
Old 11-18-18, 05:28 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

TrevorR: Thanks for the response. I doubt that I reversed polarity initially as I have been wrenching for like 45 years and have never made that mistake. if I DID make that mistake , what fuse are you talking about?
Isn't there a horn relay? Pr0bably it is stuck closed or something wrong.
Old 11-18-18, 05:46 PM
crwiseman
Driver School Candidate

No, the car is hard programmed to think after losing all power that someone is trying to steal it after restoring power, hence the blaring horns. You need to lock it then unlock it with the hard key to let it know it's not a thief. You "can" drop the car horn fuse under the hood (I tried) but the other alarm horn keeps going because that fuse is in the trunk which you can't get to because the trunk is locked . . . electronically.
Old 11-19-18, 04:23 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

No, the car is hard programmed to think after losing all power that someone is trying to steal it after restoring power, hence the blaring horns.
So you had to replace the battery on two different occasions but got the horn only on the second attempt? What was the difference between the two attempts that made the horn sound only on the second attempt?
Old 11-19-18, 07:47 AM
crwiseman
Driver School Candidate

The first time, the battery was just too weak to start the car and was only out during the swap like 15 minutes. The second time, the battery was completely dead, no warning lights, no nothing. Plus, the battery was out of the car for several hours as O'Reilly Auto insisted "testing" the dead battery for over an hour.
Old 11-20-18, 02:18 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Sorry, I speak from personal experience, you definitely have more wrenching experience (No sarcasm). I was replacing the battery and was completely oblivious to which terminal I was attaching. I put the wrong terminal on for a split second and some sparks went off. I put them on correctly and the horns started blaring continuously. Battery was new and tested good but I checked the fuses one by one and a three of them were blown.

One was the anti theft system fuse. Can't remember the other 2. I'd suggest starting to look at fuses. It seems weird but that was my experience.

Edit: looks like you solved it, ignore my post!
Old 11-12-21, 08:37 PM
youdakine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm reaffirming this method. On my 2008 RX400h, my starter battery died from lack of use and after a battery check and recharge at Advance Auto, decided to replace it with one from Costco. Easy install with my 10mm ratchet wrench and 10mm socket. I closed all the doors, attached the negative terminal last, the horn blared, unlocked the driver's door with my key and the alarm became silent. Nice! Next, the windows reset instructions that I found on YTube. The window switch for each door had a blinking light and on each door, rolled the window down, held the button down for 4 sec then raised the window up, held the button up for 4 sec. This, so all the windows could then be operated from the driver's door. Then made sure the sunroof operated. Then I tried the fob hold down unlock button and yay(!) all the windows open together. Then the radio and then the driver's seat reset. Everything good.
Old 04-16-22, 02:06 PM
Vilmi
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by TrevorR

You most likely placed the terminals on backwards initially and blew the fuse. So even if the terminals are now correct, the fuse is blown so the horn will go off to include other electronics being on constantly.

that or if you placed them on correctly initially, you blew a fuse.
Hi there!

I had someone made that mistake when replacing my battery and now my car is completely dead. Ive watch a million videos trying to figure out which fuse got blown (hoping thats what happened ) and i came accross this forum. Can any of you guys please help me locate the fuse that mighthave been blown, im assuming is the one related to the engine or battery? I did some reasing on the owners maual and took out the two fuses i found to look like they were blown. Please help!!!!!

Old 04-20-22, 01:48 AM
GSFbeast
Rookie

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's my thought about replacing the battery. TAKE IT TO THE DEALER. There's a lot of $h!t going with these Lexus cars, I don't know what. Some of them are bad idea to mess with. Yeah it's as simple as a battery replacement. $h!t could go bad real quick. I took the battery off of my GX and installed it onto a dead car. All worked fine, but when I put the battery back into the GX. The Nav system took a big dump. Pitch black. Since there's very limited physical buttons for the climate control. It's was a nightmare when the screen goes out. The stealership wanted to charged me $10K for the unit. I swore to never buy a Lexus again after that. Since I took the battery out myself they blamed the whole thing on me. I took it to another dealership and they replaced it for free under warranty. As reliable as everyone's are saying about Lexus cars. I'm having a second thought on that. The only thing I would do on my Lexuses are: Oil change, Tires rotation and minor lubrications fill-ups that's it. Yeah, I'm scared to touch that battery. It's bad juju.
Old 04-20-22, 12:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I've had a bunch of batteries in my IS F and never had a problem. The GS F just got an Antigravity battery and won't need a new one for a ridiculously long time, but the AG is the third battery in the car. Never any problems, but I've definitely heard of problems. One of the worst things you can do to these cars is let the battery go low (sub 10v). That kills lots of expensive things.
Old 02-03-23, 06:34 PM
CytoRager
3rd Gear

Default Hopefully just the fuseable link but maybe much worse.

Fuseable link fried along with 5 other larger fuses 60amp... In my case also fried main nav/radio/AC unit and because Pioneer wont accept core $3,500 replacement is over $26,000 ! ! ! Yes, American dollars.