GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Anyone cross shop this with M3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-19, 10:22 PM
Damage
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone cross shop this with M3?

I'm looking to move up from my '08 ISF and was looking at GSFs but starting to think it's got relatively outdated tech in the car. I know the pros are reliability and resale value for sure. I was hoping for a larger interior space than my ISF since I need to have baby car seats in the back seats. The rear leg room is hardly any larger. Looking at '18 M3's, they actually have more leg room according to online specs. With deals on GSFs, they come out to about same price as a nicely optioned M3. The pros of the M3 is the speed, tunability, and more updated interior tech. Having a hard time deciding.
Old 01-05-19, 04:40 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I can't speak much to the new M3s as I have never been in one. But the GSF is a huge car. I came from an IS250 to a 2017 GSF and the size is much bigger in the interior.

I also have a baby and have a large baby basket in the back. The adult in the front would be sitting comfortably if they are around 5.8 or shorter. If you are over 6 foot with the baby seat in the back then it will be tight. You can fit two strollers in the huge trunk.
​​​​​​
I would say go to a dealership and to see physically how much bigger is the GSF is compared to the ISF.

In terms of tech once you get used to it then it's all good. The new GSF have dynamic all speed controls, auto high beams, all round sensors and cameras, memory seats on both sides (extremely useful for baby basket). It has more tech than most newer cars. The infosystem can be confusing but the tech itself is very good.
Old 01-05-19, 11:54 AM
Damage
Advanced

Originally Posted by WaterFish
I can't speak much to the new M3s as I have never been in one. But the GSF is a huge car. I came from an IS250 to a 2017 GSF and the size is much bigger in the interior.

I also have a baby and have a large baby basket in the back. The adult in the front would be sitting comfortably if they are around 5.8 or shorter. If you are over 6 foot with the baby seat in the back then it will be tight. You can fit two strollers in the huge trunk.
​​​​​​
I would say go to a dealership and to see physically how much bigger is the GSF is compared to the ISF.

In terms of tech once you get used to it then it's all good. The new GSF have dynamic all speed controls, auto high beams, all round sensors and cameras, memory seats on both sides (extremely useful for baby basket). It has more tech than most newer cars. The infosystem can be confusing but the tech itself is very good.
I've already looked at the GSF. Not a whole lot more leg room than the isf and the way the seats curve dramatically more in the back it might be worse when I have my rear facing car seat in the back .With the isf, if I have rear facing in the back of the isf, I have to move the front seats up significantly where I'm crammed up to the steering wheel.

Old 01-05-19, 01:23 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Based on that, the M3 might be a better choice.
Thanks
Old 01-05-19, 02:04 PM
SolidG1
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the best thing you can do is take your car seat to a BMW dealership, put it in a M3 or 340, and try it out for yourself. Frankly, I don't see how rear leg room is relevant when you are planning to put a car seat in there.

I'm sure you know this already, but a M3 is basically a 3 series (compact sedan) with a bigger engine. Once you put a stroller in the trunk it's done. A GSF on the other hand is basically a GS (mid size sedan) with a bigger engine AND bigger trunk.

I agree with you that due to the curve design of the front and rear seats, the GSF will seem not that much bigger than a ISF or M3. What you want is the bigger trunk for kid stuff. But honestly if I was in your shoes and considering this a family vehicle, I would start looking at X3M, GLC43, SQ5. They are all about the same price, 0-60 4.5second AWD cars, and got all the speed and tech which you praised the M3 for but with a bigger cabin, trunk space, and usability.
Old 01-06-19, 12:55 AM
Marth06
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I owned an 08 ISF then an E60 M5 and the moved to a 15 F80 M3.
Im currently selling the M3 to go to a GSF as my lease is up. All my cars are company novated leases and I usually lease 1-2 year old cars.
The F80 M3 does have decent room in the back when compared to the older M3. It is a fantastic car but is missing one thing.....the soundtrack of a V8
However, it’s still in general a similar size to an ISF so the boot (trunk) is small, and if you are over 6ft then it can get a bit tight for rear legroom(I’m 5’11” and rear legroom is great). I think you could handle the M3 with one baby/toddler but not two. Once we had the second child, I went to the M5 from the ISF.
Im now looking at going to a GSF because in Oz they are bargains when they’re 18 months to 2 years old and I want a V8.
i do agree they’re not as techy as the M3 (and M3 are great for coding) and the GSF is a fair bit slower, but I can put up with that when a 2016 M5 is twice the price of a 2016/17 GSF (and our late 16’s have the adaptive suspension) and the GSF is about 70% of an AMG merc C63s.........and then there’s extended warranties to worry about etc etc and Lexus factory warranty is so so much cheaper and longer than the Germans factor warranty extensions.

Last edited by Marth06; 01-06-19 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-06-19, 07:59 AM
whiteboost
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

ive been cross shopping both as well . I like the look / Tech / power of the M3 more , but with a new born on the way i need a more reliable car . Ive had a e46 M3 , e92 335i , e90 M3 , and they all give me issues . If your a person who tends to keep cars till 100K get a GSF they are far more reliable . If your leasing get a M3,
Old 01-06-19, 11:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

I have an IS F and a GS F with two car seats in the back of each. The GS F is significantly larger, but I sit forward in a proper track driving position, not two yards back like most guys shorter than I am. Fitting both kids in the IS is difficult with one forward facing and the other rear facing, and even my wife does not have much room with the rear facing seat on the passenger's side of the IS F. The rear facing seat in the GS F is on the driver's side and we both fit just fine in front of it at our normal seating position, but again, I sit like a NASCAR driver with the steering wheel close. The top of wheel is at my wrist with arms fully extended in normal position and my knees have about two inches clearance from the dash. I set this the same in both cars, and it works great on track.
Old 01-07-19, 12:51 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ISF and updated to GSF. I also test drove the M3/M4 for power comparison. Love the M3 for fast acceleration and the driving dynamic for racing ! The GSF has the best roomy interior for family purpose. One thing that I like regarding the body size from the rear, the GSF has an exterior body style smaller than any older model camry, accord
Old 01-07-19, 02:32 PM
Damage
Advanced

Hi guys, I ended up buying the new LS500 instead. PLENTY of rear space for the baby seat. I figured I'm not losing too much on performance vs. the GSF at least in acceleration as both are 4.5s to 60mph. :P.
Old 01-07-19, 04:29 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have an IS F and a GS F with two car seats in the back of each. The GS F is significantly larger, but I sit forward in a proper track driving position, not two yards back like most guys shorter than I am. Fitting both kids in the IS is difficult with one forward facing and the other rear facing, and even my wife does not have much room with the rear facing seat on the passenger's side of the IS F. The rear facing seat in the GS F is on the driver's side and we both fit just fine in front of it at our normal seating position, but again, I sit like a NASCAR driver with the steering wheel close. The top of wheel is at my wrist with arms fully extended in normal position and my knees have about two inches clearance from the dash. I set this the same in both cars, and it works great on track.
Nice to see that I'm not the only one that believes in a proper driving position!
The following users liked this post:
Marth06 (01-09-19)
Old 01-07-19, 08:00 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Damage
Hi guys, I ended up buying the new LS500 instead. PLENTY of rear space for the baby seat. I figured I'm not losing too much on performance vs. the GSF at least in acceleration as both are 4.5s to 60mph. :P.
Not losing too much performance? It's like saying a S2000 vs an accord.

Last edited by WaterFish; 01-08-19 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 10:15 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Good on you, they are very smooth to drive and your kid will be spoilt riding in the back of a LS500 enjoy.
Old 01-08-19, 04:29 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by isfvss
Good on you, they are very smooth to drive and your kid will be spoilt riding in the back of a LS500 enjoy.
Well that is true. The LS500 will benefit the kids more, especially when they grow up. At least you get to have massage in the car XD.
Old 01-08-19, 10:50 AM
Damage
Advanced

Originally Posted by WaterFish
Well that is true. The LS500 will benefit the kids more, especially when they grow up. At least you get to have massage in the car XD.
Funny you mentioned S2000 as I used to own one from 2004 to 2008. I'm not too worried about losing performance as I have a 570s when I need speed and handling. This is my daily. And yes..the massaging seats are AMAZING.

Quick Reply: Anyone cross shop this with M3?