GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Any Buyers Remorse

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 08:41 AM
usafakid09
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Elitedax3
I am in the final 12 months of my lease and looking into a CTS-V. How do you like it so far? How's the interior and are they being flexible on the prices at all in your experience?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Overall I love the car. Every time I cold start it in the parking garage, it is music to me ears. Only thing I am not in love with the all of the touch buttons with CUE. I have not had any issues with the system per se, I just don't like all of the fingerprints. I guess it still is better than the annoying mouse with the Lexus Enform system. I elected not to get the Recaro seats as they were uncomfortable to me and the standard seats still hold you in place just fine for normal driving. I really like that you can customize a driver profile and the car starts in the profile every time. I have mine in Sport mode for the suspension and steering, and track for the exhaust. I hated the Lexus would default to standard every time and lacked the option to customize steering, exhaust, etc. Interior build quality of the V is on par with Lexus in my opinion. Soft touch, cut and sewn interior etc. Love the apple car play. Love the 12in gauge cluster that is customizable. Can bring the navigation map over which reminds me of Audi's virtual cockpit. The E63 has the best interior in this segment, but they also go for like $130k plus.

Regarding pricing, I was able to get mine at employee pricing last month. So it took about $5k off the price of the car....and they over allowed on my trade (exactly $5k ore than Carmax) so I got a decent deal. I do live in SoCal so they really don't have to discount that much here. I was looking in Atlanta and they seem to be doing better deals online...but I am not sure if they are a non negotiating best internet type place. I know you said you are in the final twelve months of the Lexus lease...just FYI, they stop the order bank in February 2019 and will probably shut the lines down not long after.

All in all, I really like the CTS V. The car is seriously fast. I am definitely looking forward to my free 2 day V academy trip to Spring Mountain in April. Hopefully I learn how to confidently navigate this thing around a track. PM me if you have any more questions.

P.S. A Cadillac dealer is not a Lexus dealer when it comes to service department hospitality etc. Lexus has everyone beat (besides my experience with Porsche) when it comes to this. And to prevent the wise cracks...no I haven't had the car serviced yet, I am basing this off my walk through of the service department as part of my delivery experience.
The following users liked this post:
Elitedax3 (01-17-19)
Old 01-17-19, 09:21 AM
Elitedax3
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by usafakid09
Overall I love the car. Every time I cold start it in the parking garage, it is music to me ears. Only thing I am not in love with the all of the touch buttons with CUE. I have not had any issues with the system per se, I just don't like all of the fingerprints. I guess it still is better than the annoying mouse with the Lexus Enform system. I elected not to get the Recaro seats as they were uncomfortable to me and the standard seats still hold you in place just fine for normal driving. I really like that you can customize a driver profile and the car starts in the profile every time. I have mine in Sport mode for the suspension and steering, and track for the exhaust. I hated the Lexus would default to standard every time and lacked the option to customize steering, exhaust, etc. Interior build quality of the V is on par with Lexus in my opinion. Soft touch, cut and sewn interior etc. Love the apple car play. Love the 12in gauge cluster that is customizable. Can bring the navigation map over which reminds me of Audi's virtual cockpit. The E63 has the best interior in this segment, but they also go for like $130k plus.

Regarding pricing, I was able to get mine at employee pricing last month. So it took about $5k off the price of the car....and they over allowed on my trade (exactly $5k ore than Carmax) so I got a decent deal. I do live in SoCal so they really don't have to discount that much here. I was looking in Atlanta and they seem to be doing better deals online...but I am not sure if they are a non negotiating best internet type place. I know you said you are in the final twelve months of the Lexus lease...just FYI, they stop the order bank in February 2019 and will probably shut the lines down not long after.

All in all, I really like the CTS V. The car is seriously fast. I am definitely looking forward to my free 2 day V academy trip to Spring Mountain in April. Hopefully I learn how to confidently navigate this thing around a track. PM me if you have any more questions.

P.S. A Cadillac dealer is not a Lexus dealer when it comes to service department hospitality etc. Lexus has everyone beat (besides my experience with Porsche) when it comes to this. And to prevent the wise cracks...no I haven't had the car serviced yet, I am basing this off my walk through of the service department as part of my delivery experience.

That is a lot of very good information, I agree about the annoyance of the F resetting to normal every time you start the car and I am probably in the minority regarding the mouse-like control, its not terrible for me. I honestly have loved my F and no buyers remorse whatsoever. I've never owned a GM product and usually you hear most of the bad stuff which I know is generally a small % but I have always liked the V so its definitely on my radar.

Thank you so much for all the info, enjoy your car and have a blast at the track day!
Old 01-17-19, 01:07 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Spam89
only people who have no money to blow or have a tight income will say that.
Stupid comment with no value added.

I was simply stating a fact that buying this car at 90k and three years later it dropping in some cases half the value would be regretable. This car is priced to high from new in my opinion. The car is a way better value used. Since there are plenty of 16s and 17 s out there with low miles, a great deal can be had. Paying 90k for a gsf and or a lc500 I know i would have buyers remorce. This is my opinion of course. Performance wise its not in the same league as its competitors. This car should of been priced at mid 70s. I bought my 16 in the 60s with very low miles and I enjoy the car so I personally have no regrets.

Last edited by MercuryISF; 01-17-19 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 01:27 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MercuryISF

I was simply stating a fact that buying this car at 90k and three years later it dropping in some cases half the value would be regretable. This car is priced to high from new in my opinion. The car is a way better value used. Since there are plenty of 16s and 17 s out there with low miles, a great deal can be had. Paying 90k for a gsf and or a lc500 I know i would have buyers remorce. Performance wise its not in the same league as its competitors. This car should of been priced at mid 70s. I bought my 16 in the 60s with very low miles and I enjoy the car so I personally have no regrets.
Agreed. I bought my car 2.5 years old with 15k for 54k. If some “rich” guy bought it new for $88k did he get a better experience from 0-15k miles than I have had so far? He enjoyed a car with one less scratch or two and that’s about all.
Old 01-17-19, 05:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500

Agreed. I bought my car 2.5 years old with 15k for 54k. If some “rich” guy bought it new for $88k did he get a better experience from 0-15k miles than I have had so far? He enjoyed a car with one less scratch or two and that’s about all.
That "rich" guy didn't buy it. He leased it and wrote it off his taxes as a business expense. And yes, indeed he got a better experience. I've bought both new and used cars. New cars always win because when I have a problem I can go to the factory service manual and everything in the car is as it should be from the manufacturer, nothing has been bent, twisted, butchered, or modified to someone else's liking. Why is the elusive unmodded used car so valuable? Because it is all factory. We all know when the car gets modified, the resale value falls with only a very few exceptions. Hang around this forum for a while and you'll see exactly this over and over again - it's rampant in the IS F forum. "I want to find a perfect unmodified used car so I can immediately modify it." It is true comedy.

Finally, if you've ever bought a used car and had electrical problems only to find someone hacked up the wiring harness with some sketchy "improvement" and had to sort through repairing the typically shoddy electrical work most shops do (my favorite is the people who solder on a wiring harness - its nothing but a long term disaster waiting to happen), you'll understand why I default to buying new whenever possible. That and I keep my cars 10+ years makes buying worth it.
TrevorR (01-20-19)
Old 01-17-19, 05:20 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MercuryISF

I was simply stating a fact that buying this car at 90k and three years later it dropping in some cases half the value would be regretable. This car is priced to high from new in my opinion. The car is a way better value used. Since there are plenty of 16s and 17 s out there with low miles, a great deal can be had. Paying 90k for a gsf and or a lc500 I know i would have buyers remorce. This is my opinion of course. Performance wise its not in the same league as its competitors. This car should of been priced at mid 70s. I bought my 16 in the 60s with very low miles and I enjoy the car so I personally have no regrets.
Every car is not worth the msrp then.
Old 01-17-19, 06:56 PM
Fatbarney
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That "rich" guy didn't buy it. He leased it and wrote it off his taxes as a business expense. And yes, indeed he got a better experience. I've bought both new and used cars. New cars always win because when I have a problem I can go to the factory service manual and everything in the car is as it should be from the manufacturer, nothing has been bent, twisted, butchered, or modified to someone else's liking. Why is the elusive unmodded used car so valuable? Because it is all factory. We all know when the car gets modified, the resale value falls with only a very few exceptions. Hang around this forum for a while and you'll see exactly this over and over again - it's rampant in the IS F forum. "I want to find a perfect unmodified used car so I can immediately modify it." It is true comedy.

Finally, if you've ever bought a used car and had electrical problems only to find someone hacked up the wiring harness with some sketchy "improvement" and had to sort through repairing the typically shoddy electrical work most shops do (my favorite is the people who solder on a wiring harness - its nothing but a long term disaster waiting to happen), you'll understand why I default to buying new whenever possible. That and I keep my cars 10+ years makes buying worth it.
I'm another "dummy" that bought brand new. Also not a fan of used cars, and if the delta between new and "new" with 2k miles and a year older was 10k, the extra 10k is worth it (referring to my own shopping experience). My only financial buyers remorse is that on a certain level, no car over 50k is a good value.
Old 01-17-19, 07:03 PM
embassured
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This appears to be spiraling into a money question vs a buyer's remorse post - not sure there will be any opinion conversions. New vs. used seems to be an age old debate and value is always in the eye of the beholder.

Relative to the CTS-V option, I find that pretty fascinating. The V, and having been a V1 and V2 owner, is the undisputed bang for the buck/power winner - new or used. If so, did Lexus choose not to compete OR is it simply a more discriminating/refined car than the V; i.e. Cayman vs Corvette?

Came close to pulling the trigger on either a V3 or e63 but bought the less powerful GSF - something I never would have done 10 years ago. Relative to the V3 and based on prior V1 and V2 experiences, I valued initial and long-term fit, finish, and quality of the GSF. Against the e63, I have not enjoyed experiences with being tied to dealer proprietary service/knowledge and repair bills outside of warranty. FWIW, the value/price proposition of all 3 cars seems to remain relatively consistent whether new or used based on similar depreciation curves.
Old 01-19-19, 06:06 PM
Kev99sv
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500

I don't understand this very well. I bought both of my GSFs new as well as my LFA. It seems on this forum many bash the "rich" (your word not mine) for buying new when they can wait a couple years and buy a low mileage car for half price. I look at if differently, as I then get to enjoy it for a couple years while you are watching me drive around wishing you had one. So yes, my experience is better. And I hate scratches.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kev99sv:
lobuxracer (01-21-19), mr2dave (01-26-19), shu5892001 (01-22-19), TrevorR (01-20-19), usafakid09 (01-19-19)
Old 01-20-19, 04:31 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

I love my GSF. It will stay with me for a long time. I might sell it only to make room for an elegant looking F coupe.
While I prefer new (who doesn't), I like to buy mine slightly used, preferably executive demo (driven by Lexus Corp people).
RC51TOFUMA (01-20-19)
Old 01-20-19, 11:56 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

This is exactly why I buy my car brand new every single time. I don't care so much about depreciation because I know that if I keep my car for 10+ year and when it comes time sell it, my car will be somewhat more valuable than another car that is exactly the same as mine but has had 2+ owners. I don't know what the first owner has done to it, and the 2nd owner might not be so truthful.

My car will be single owner, original and these are the cars that people typically seek out. In a few years, I'll be looking for a 2013 Viper in the near future and I'll only take one that has had 1 owner and is unmodified.
Old 01-20-19, 12:07 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by embassured
This appears to be spiraling into a money question vs a buyer's remorse post - not sure there will be any opinion conversions. New vs. used seems to be an age old debate and value is always in the eye of the beholder.

Relative to the CTS-V option, I find that pretty fascinating. The V, and having been a V1 and V2 owner, is the undisputed bang for the buck/power winner - new or used. If so, did Lexus choose not to compete OR is it simply a more discriminating/refined car than the V; i.e. Cayman vs Corvette?

Came close to pulling the trigger on either a V3 or e63 but bought the less powerful GSF - something I never would have done 10 years ago. Relative to the V3 and based on prior V1 and V2 experiences, I valued initial and long-term fit, finish, and quality of the GSF. Against the e63, I have not enjoyed experiences with being tied to dealer proprietary service/knowledge and repair bills outside of warranty. FWIW, the value/price proposition of all 3 cars seems to remain relatively consistent whether new or used based on similar depreciation curves.
Absolutely. People nowadays concentrate on the HP numbers of the V vs the GSF which leads them to believe that the V is a better value than the GSF. Which is probably an American thing where straight line performance matters most...

I think motor trend put those two head to head in one of their reviews and the CTS V did beat the GSF by a few seconds in lap times but I believe the CTS V came ahead because of the long straightaways that were used in their testing in which case of course the CTS V will come out on top. Or it could've been their "superior" suspension but that's debatable.

I heard this at work the other day, some guy said that the Supra will flop because why buy a Supra when you can get the new GT500 that has 700hp vs the supras measly 330hp... I genuinely felt like slapping the guy.
Old 01-21-19, 03:32 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev99sv
I don't understand this very well. I bought both of my GSFs new as well as my LFA. It seems on this forum many bash the "rich" (your word not mine) for buying new when they can wait a couple years and buy a low mileage car for half price. I look at if differently, as I then get to enjoy it for a couple years while you are watching me drive around wishing you had one. So yes, my experience is better. And I hate scratches.
I think my comments have been misunderstood. The last car I owned before this one was brand new. My "rich guy" comment wasn't meant to offend but rather to contrast the person earlier in this thread that stated " only people who have no money to blow or have a tight income will say that." (referring to depreciation of a new one). I personally would rather buy used like I did. Obviously many prefer new. To each his own and there's nothing wrong with either. It's all in what you value most. New or used, I don't think that most would have buyers remorse from a GSF. I'm loving mine.
Old 01-22-19, 09:11 PM
shu5892001
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev99sv
This,

To own a car that no one ever has farted in is priceless, so can't really be measured by whether it's "worth it or not".

I bought mine used because it made more financial sense to me, but I would buy brand new 2019 if I had the means.
MasterWork (01-25-19)
Old 01-25-19, 07:53 AM
MasterWork
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have absolutely zero buyers remorse, I bought mine CPO'd last year and wanted a 2016 model regardless. I personally don't like the adaptive suspension on the later years. The power and short comings that everyone won't stop talking about when compared to a BMW or AMG are nonsense to me. I fell in love with the styling, the tried and tested build quality and knowing this car will last for years without headaches. The idea of getting an F80/82 and after a JB tune and bolt ons you are basically asking for catastrophic engine failure, not to mention those cars are overpriced and depreciate like crazy. The only "competitor" car that might have been more fun for about a month is the F10 M5 with manual trans, but then its just another German turd. I would've paid the $89,930 sticker for mine in 2016 if I was in the market for it at the time without hesitation.

I will however be building another project car to scratch that wrenching itch as well as for track days. I just feel that buyer's remorse stems from lack of research and acting on impulse, every shred of information is available online; we are all aware it isn't the fastest, the high price tag, test drives are available so all the tools are there to avoid buyer's remorse.
The following 2 users liked this post by MasterWork:
Autobacs (01-28-19), lobuxracer (01-26-19)

Quick Reply: Any Buyers Remorse