GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

3 childs in the rear / mileage ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 12:28 AM
PierreFR
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 3 childs in the rear / mileage ?

Hello !

Owner of an IS300h, i want to go on a V8 again (had a 2007 Mustang GT/CS...)
But here in France, used GS-F are very few. Only 2 for sale in all the country ! Even Lexus is rare. In my 50000hab town, i see 1 antoher IS, and less than 10 NX+RX...

I have 2 questions :
- the first : our 3d child is coming this summer. Our 2 daughters will be 8 and 6 years. Is there enough room on the rear seats to have a baby-seat on a side , a "little seat" for 6-y on the other side, and our 8y daughter in the middle ? won't she have pain in the bottom after a 2 hours trip ? (usually, trips are 10 min long).

- Next : I can read very few about fuel consumption. Here, in France, gas is more expensive than in US : you fill a 60L tank (aka 16 gallons) for 80 euros (that make 92 USD, but have in mind that people earn around 1800€/2000$ a month). My usually trip is a 10Km, city, but traffic is very good : very few red-lights, no traffic jam at all, saying that the car is stopped less than a minute. You can very easily run at 30mph. I see here you do around 16mpg, but how do you think i can run ? for info, the car will sleep outside, 41°F winter, 60°F summer.
This is no saying i can't afford the price, i make around 7000 miles a year, and have a good job, but i only want to know how many it will cost me

I'm also considering buying an Audi S3 or Porsche Cayenne, but when you've had a V8, your only wish is to get another....

Thanxxx
Old 01-16-19, 04:08 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

As much as I love the GSF. I would suggest you not to get one but the Cayenne instead.
​​​​​​
I have a baby seat on right side and I have tried two adults in the back. Short trips are fine but longer ones the rear center seat is rock hard, and very uncomfortable for long trips. Hope that helps.
Old 01-16-19, 04:18 AM
PierreFR
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it helps.
Most of cars aren't that good for 3-people on the rear...
But if i buy it qith the idea of keeping the F only 5 years, I thin it'll be OK. In 5 years, our children will be 13, 11 and 5.
I have 2 daughters, and in my parents VW Passat (in the 2000's) it was OK.

If I think of the past 4 years, an adult was on the rear for only 2 trips of 20 miles (go-and-back).

Here, in France, with a Cayenne, jealous people (and there are many...) see you as a "****ing rich", when I see a cool 6 cylinders plus hybrid 416cv car....
So a grey GS F will be "unseen".
Old 01-16-19, 07:05 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreFR
Hello !

Owner of an IS300h, i want to go on a V8 again (had a 2007 Mustang GT/CS...)
But here in France, used GS-F are very few. Only 2 for sale in all the country ! Even Lexus is rare. In my 50000hab town, i see 1 antoher IS, and less than 10 NX+RX...

I have 2 questions :
- the first : our 3d child is coming this summer. Our 2 daughters will be 8 and 6 years. Is there enough room on the rear seats to have a baby-seat on a side , a "little seat" for 6-y on the other side, and our 8y daughter in the middle ? won't she have pain in the bottom after a 2 hours trip ? (usually, trips are 10 min long).

- Next : I can read very few about fuel consumption. Here, in France, gas is more expensive than in US : you fill a 60L tank (aka 16 gallons) for 80 euros (that make 92 USD, but have in mind that people earn around 1800€/2000$ a month). My usually trip is a 10Km, city, but traffic is very good : very few red-lights, no traffic jam at all, saying that the car is stopped less than a minute. You can very easily run at 30mph. I see here you do around 16mpg, but how do you think i can run ? for info, the car will sleep outside, 41°F winter, 60°F summer.
This is no saying i can't afford the price, i make around 7000 miles a year, and have a good job, but i only want to know how many it will cost me

I'm also considering buying an Audi S3 or Porsche Cayenne, but when you've had a V8, your only wish is to get another....

Thanxxx
I agree the GS-F is not a good fit for three, the cayenne is a better choice. S3 is going to be smaller than the GS-F. Have you looked into the new Q6 or even the used Q6, I think that would be cheaper and better.
Old 01-16-19, 07:22 AM
PierreFR
Driver School Candidate

Actually, i don't really enjoy SUVs.... it's hard to be a car lover with 3 childs !!! all i want is a gas (hate diesel) 250+ hp, sunroof and auto trans. For the auto trans, in France, they are few. apart german an high class vehicles, they're all manual

And here, in France, we don't have many big SUV/trucs : no pickups, no vans, the bigger car you can see have the size of a RX450h.
The S3 will be smaller, but in this case my wif will buy something larger, like a VW Tiguan

Tomorrow, i'm going too see the space in a GS300h. Wish i won't be disappointed
Old 01-16-19, 09:18 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreFR
Actually, i don't really enjoy SUVs.... it's hard to be a car lover with 3 childs !!! all i want is a gas (hate diesel) 250+ hp, sunroof and auto trans. For the auto trans, in France, they are few. apart german an high class vehicles, they're all manual

And here, in France, we don't have many big SUV/trucs : no pickups, no vans, the bigger car you can see have the size of a RX450h.
The S3 will be smaller, but in this case my wif will buy something larger, like a VW Tiguan

Tomorrow, i'm going too see the space in a GS300h. Wish i won't be disappointed
If you like cars, have you thought about an LS?
Old 01-17-19, 11:03 AM
bklszl
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

To the OP: I had also an IS300h, currently I am driving a '18 GSF in Hungary.

Fuel
Fuel prices are also high here, I am averaging 14-16L/100km per month. It depends on your city/highway driving ratio, I get a range of 300-400 km. Most definitely not the best car for economy driving, but you will get used to it, if you owned a Mustang GT.

Passengers
3 people riding in the back is not comfortable, same as in the IS, but with a little more legspace.

Conclusion
If the points above are the only that matters to you, you should look elsewhere.

If you really want a Lexus, an LS is a great option, but you will sacrifice trunk capacity and the V8 feeling.. My dad also owns an LS500h and he said its a step back performancewise from his '08 LS600h, but it's interior and exterior is very nice and traveling is very comfy. If you may test drive one, try the non-hybrid version with F-Sport package!
Old 01-17-19, 03:07 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

The child in the middle seat will have to deal with the hump in the floor. Diono makes narrow car seats that can help maximize the space for the other children. I had (3) Dionos across the rear of my previous car (2013 WRX) which was not as large as the GS F.
The following users liked this post:
MileHIFcar (01-18-19)
Old 01-17-19, 03:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

A Cayenne was the alternative to the GS F. The wife didn't want to pay that much for her vehicle. It's the best choice if you have three car seats. Ingress/egress will be much easier and you'll have plenty of luggage space. While the GS F is a great car for two children (as we have), I wouldn't want to have put a third one in the back. Any car seat with decent lateral support will be a challenge three wide, especially when you get to the booster seat phase.