GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Next generation GS F?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-19, 10:28 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts
Default Next generation GS F?

I was reading the latest Car and Driver today and in the article for the new BMW I mean Toyota Supra they said Gazoo Racing Development will be working on the next generation GS F. Interesting for a car rumored to be dead after 2019.

Thoughts?
Old 01-27-19, 09:27 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

The Lexus VP stated a few weeks back that the GS and GSF will continue to live on.

https://carbuzz.com/news/lexus-tells...he-gs-and-gs-f

Same article says that this doesn't mean there will be a 5th generation GS though so idk.
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (01-28-19)
Old 01-27-19, 09:31 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Did they just inadvertently confirm the 5GS? We'll have to wait and see to know more, obviously, but it's looking more and more like we'll see a 5GS after all, but I've been saying this all along.
Old 01-27-19, 10:24 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm getting those excited butterflies in my stomach...hope the GS lives on as the best Lexus yet on the new platform!!
Old 01-27-19, 04:29 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

The bastards need to bring the EU/Canadian spec to the US. The american model is pathetically equipped for such a high window sticker. I mean, how hard can it be to add the door-mounted window shades and the rear power shade?

Given how outdated and ignored the GS is, I completely expect the 2020 model to be the exact same as the 2019. Aggravating because I love mine but want more features out of it. It doesnt feel premium with so many features missing.

If they really want to compete with S6/E43/550iX, the GSF needs to have all the canadian/eu stuff stock. I'd love to have the shades/heated rear seats/heated wheel and third-zone climate.
The following 2 users liked this post by texaslexii:
signdetres (01-27-19), Stormryu (02-08-19)
Old 01-27-19, 10:01 PM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by texaslexii
The bastards need to bring the EU/Canadian spec to the US. The american model is pathetically equipped for such a high window sticker. I mean, how hard can it be to add the door-mounted window shades and the rear power shade?

Given how outdated and ignored the GS is, I completely expect the 2020 model to be the exact same as the 2019. Aggravating because I love mine but want more features out of it. It doesnt feel premium with so many features missing.

If they really want to compete with S6/E43/550iX, the GSF needs to have all the canadian/eu stuff stock. I'd love to have the shades/heated rear seats/heated wheel and third-zone climate.
Don't forget the power trunk, otherwise I completely agree with you.
Old 01-28-19, 09:33 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Don't forget the power trunk, otherwise I completely agree with you.
They may have scrapped that for weight???.... Id be happy with the springs, so truck opens in it's own, like in the RC
Old 01-28-19, 10:07 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

GS will stay on for another 3 yeas or so until they can offer multiple trims in the ES like AWD etc...

Rumors are that the next GS-F will be a TTV6
Old 01-28-19, 11:25 AM
MRonan83
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Amen to the heated steering wheel!! 8 degrees is the high in Kansas City on Wednesday and I am not looking forward to that cold start up after work....
Old 01-28-19, 12:04 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

I doubt they'll go AWD, not enough power to justify it, even though they already have an AWD GS. TT v6 would be nice, and I suspect they're doing it for emissions purposes.
Old 01-28-19, 12:05 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nehal51086
Id be happy with the springs, so truck opens in it's own, like in the RC
Ditto. .
Old 01-29-19, 03:30 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Its mostly to keep cost down as they don't think the US market will pay that much. The price would go up for these added features, hence the reason they don't have them.
Old 01-29-19, 10:16 AM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by nehal51086
They may have scrapped that for weight???.... Id be happy with the springs, so truck opens in it's own, like in the RC
No way... Members have done retrofits, the parts seem fairly small, I can't imagine all of those components weighing more than like 8 pounds but regardless, lack of a power trunk screams cheap on a near $100,000 sedan. Show me a new E63 or M5 without that feature, you can't. I know it sounds petty given the mission of the GS F, but at the end of the day, it's still the top-of-the-line model of an executive luxury mid-size sedan at or near $100,000. The fact that they don't include all of the luxury options in addition to all of the performance they can throw at it (at least for the US market), just like Mercedes and BMW have done for ages, is a joke and is still something that boggles my mind to this day.

If they want to de-content the GS F, at least make a track-focused edition focused on weight savings so that all of these feature deletions make sense. At this class of car and this price point, one should not be forced to compromise & for this reason, we've backed out of GS F deals multiple times. I'd hate giving up a number of features on my GS350 just to get into the GS F. It feels so backwards (granted, this was before the GS F got an adaptive suspension & the updated Lane Keep Assist, Steering Assist, & All-Speed Cruise Control so there were more nails in the coffin at the time, but I'm still not a fan of the IS/RC steering wheel, this should've never made it into the GS F). I'm really hoping we see a next-gen GS F that wows on performance and features in relation to the current GS F but especially in comparison to the competition.

Last edited by signdetres; 01-29-19 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 06:04 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Its mostly to keep cost down as they don't think the US market will pay that much. The price would go up for these added features, hence the reason they don't have them.
All the R&D and engineering/manufacturing costs are now minimal since the tech is old. The costs have been amortized over the life of the vehicle so retrofitting are minimal. To me its all cheapness on the part of Lexus. They offer the power trunk worldwide, adapting it to the US market will only diminish the costs due to economies of scale.
The following users liked this post:
bigblack06 (01-30-19)
Old 01-29-19, 06:09 PM
texaslexii
Pole Position

No way... Members have done retrofits,
Interesting... Any links?

the parts seem fairly small, I can't imagine all of those components weighing more than like 8 pounds but regardless, lack of a power trunk screams cheap on a near $100,000 sedan. Show me a new E63 or M5 without that feature, you can't. I know it sounds petty given the mission of the GS F, but at the end of the day, it's still the top-of-the-line model of an executive luxury mid-size sedan at or near $100,000. The fact that they don't include all of the luxury options in addition to all of the performance they can throw at it (at least for the US market), just like Mercedes and BMW have done for ages, is a joke and is still something that boggles my mind to this day.
Couldnt have said it better myself.

If they want to de-content the GS F, at least make a track-focused edition focused on weight savings so that all of these feature deletions make sense. At this class of car and this price point, one should not be forced to compromise & for this reason, we've backed out of GS F deals multiple times. I'd hate giving up a number of features on my GS350 just to get into the GS F. It feels so backwards (granted, this was before the GS F got an adaptive suspension & the updated Lane Keep Assist, Steering Assist, & All-Speed Cruise Control so there were more nails in the coffin at the time, but I'm still not a fan of the IS/RC steering wheel, this should've never made it into the GS F). I'm really hoping we see a next-gen GS F that wows on performance and features in relation to the current GS F but especially in comparison to the competition.
Or get a fully-loaded GS 350 with all the niceties, supercharge it and call it a day?

Quick Reply: Next generation GS F?