GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Be careful shopping for your GSF

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19, 06:57 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Be careful shopping for your GSF

Here is a great example of why you can't trust pictures or carfax. This is the car that another member just had totalled. Now maybe it wasn't 100% totalled but that's what he said and he no longer has it (obviously). I only recognize it because I almost bought it myself since it was in my area. This link won't last forever since eventually it will sell, but you cannot tell it has ever been in a wreck from the pictures, the carfax, vincheck, or even Lexus service records. Just be careful out there shopping and get a pre purchase inspection!

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight
Old 03-29-19, 10:29 AM
jallow33
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This is Interesting that a major car brand dealer like would do something like this if this is indeed the same subject car from another user that was totaled.

If so, I would understand a shady car lot doing this, but this is surprising coming from a major car brand dealer.

I also have been looking at this vehicle.

The below is stated on their site as condition.

"Certified. RWD BALANCE OF FACTORY WARRANTY, NAVIGATION/NAV/GPS, LEATHER, HEATED LEATHER SEATS, REAR BACKUP CAMERA, POWER SUNROOF/MOONROOF, ONE OWNER CLEAN CARFAX NO REPORTED ACCIDENTS, PREMIUM WHEELS, MULTI ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL, STEARING WHEEL CONTROLS, Q-CERTIFIED, CRUISE CONTROL, GS F, 4D Sedan, Navigation System.
* Q-Certified for up to 2 years or 100k mile warranty * Rental Reimbursement * 128 point inspection * Never buy a pre-owned vehicle without it!
Certification Program Details: after passing our thorough 128-point inspection, we back it with a 2 year/100k limited pwrtrn warranty which includes 24/7 roadside service (gas, battery, fluids, tire and lock out). Rental Car Reimbursement. What other dealer offers this kind of piece of mind? We do!
Please call today to check extra options and availability.
Awards:
* 2016 KBB.com Brand Image Awards * 2016 KBB.com Best Resale Value Awards Reviews:
* Reasonable base price; high quality interior. Source: Edmunds
Our goal is to make your car buying experience stress free. We look forward to earning your business."
[/SPOILER]
[SPOILER]"Certified. RWD BALANCE OF FACTORY WARRANTY, NAVIGATION/NAV/GPS, LEATHER, HEATED LEATHER SEATS, REAR BACKUP CAMERA, POWER SUNROOF/MOONROOF, ONE OWNER CLEAN CARFAX NO REPORTED ACCIDENTS, PREMIUM WHEELS, MULTI ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL, STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS, Q-CERTIFIED, CRUISE CONTROL, GS F, 4D Sedan, Navigation System.
* Q-Certified for up to 2 years or 100k mile warranty * Rental Reimbursement * 128 point inspection * Never buy a pre-owned vehicle without it!
Certification Program Details: after passing our thorough 128-point inspection, we back it with a 2 year/100k limited pwrtrn warranty which includes 24/7 roadside service (gas, battery, fluids, tire and lock out). Rental Car Reimbursement. What other dealer offers this kind of piece of mind? We do!
Please call today to check extra options and availability.
Awards:
* 2016 KBB.com Brand Image Awards * 2016 KBB.com Best Resale Value Awards Reviews:
* Reasonable base price; high quality interior. Source: Edmunds
Our goal is to make your car buying experience stress free. We look forward to earning your business."
Old 03-29-19, 10:49 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

I agree. A car can't legally be sold if totalled without the "salvage title" designation. Maybe the insurance paid him out but it wasn't quite bad enough to be totalled and he immediately traded. I have no idea. All I know is that this is the exact car. He was T boned by a red light runner and I am assuming it was passenger side.

Also a dealer may not know a car has body work if it's done really well. I traded my is350 with body repair and a CLEAN carfax. Nobody ever batted an eye

Last edited by shenry500; 03-29-19 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 11:32 AM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow! Is Texaslexi still on here?
Old 03-29-19, 12:22 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by crazych42
Wow! Is Texaslexi still on here?
I doubt it. He said he was buying something different. I sent this to him though and didn’t get a reply
Old 03-29-19, 12:27 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

This is the reason that anyone that is shopping for any used car should obtain a 3rd party inspection to check for prior damage.

This is actually one reason why I do not buy any cars used.
Old 03-29-19, 01:38 PM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

He said it's different car.

Originally Posted by texaslexii
Identical to my former car. Looks great in person. It is/was atomic silver on gray interior. This one is missing some stuff like the cargo net, first aid kit and looks like floor mats in the rear. At least it has the CF decals and you can still see the Lcert decal on the door jamb.

Good looking car, low miles and a good price IMO.
Originally Posted by texaslexii

Originally Posted by andytrio

Probably is yours. Not buying this one. It has some issues now.Nope, mine was totaled three weeks ago. Its already scrapped.

Last edited by songoku; 03-29-19 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-29-19, 03:34 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by songoku
He said it's different car.
I feel foolish. If you click the carfax and look it was sold by the same dealership in basically the same month and year with the same mileage. After being sold the next service records are in Lubbock which is where the buyer lived. I believe he ended up in San Antonio (could be wrong about this) which is where the car currently is. It is identical in color, interior, calipers etc. I shopped for months for a GSF and knew of every one for sale in dfw. If this isn't it I don't know how I would have missed it since I bought mine in the same month as well. Either way if he says its not his I'm highly confused but whatever. I suppose delete this thread and sorry for wasting everyone's time lol
Old 03-29-19, 08:26 PM
ZC94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500
I feel foolish. If you click the carfax and look it was sold by the same dealership in basically the same month and year with the same mileage. After being sold the next service records are in Lubbock which is where the buyer lived. I believe he ended up in San Antonio (could be wrong about this) which is where the car currently is. It is identical in color, interior, calipers etc. I shopped for months for a GSF and knew of every one for sale in dfw. If this isn't it I don't know how I would have missed it since I bought mine in the same month as well. Either way if he says its not his I'm highly confused but whatever. I suppose delete this thread and sorry for wasting everyone's time lol
You didn't waste my time and I learned something actually. Thank you sir.
Old 03-30-19, 04:50 PM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I never trust the pictures and a carfax. always inspect all the doors, trunk, hood, bumpers, for factory VIN number. if the sticker is missing or painted over, that's a red flag despite what the carfax may say (or not say). if it's been a major accident, i'd suspect you'll catch it when inspecting in this manner.
Old 03-30-19, 06:42 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Late Model Lexus vehicles no longer have VIN Stickers on Panels.
Old 03-30-19, 07:38 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Buy a paint meter and never look back.

I bought an Elcometer 311FNF about twenty years ago, and never looked back. This is what any high end used car buyer agent at the auction uses when inspecting prior to bidding. Any used car manager or buyer worth their name, would use one on your car before offering a trade or buy price. Takes about five minutes to use and tells all the truth about about body and paint. No need to buy new, as they are always available on EBay or CL.

This is the newer revised model currently sold new:

https://www.elcometer.com/en/coating...int-meter.html

I personally have the old style one, and works good enough for me. An example of what I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Elcometer-3...-/183721190460

I break it out on any car I'm looking to purchase, used or new. Most salesman don't have a clue what it is, and could care less. A sale is a sale to them, and If I'm happier with inspecting myself and going through with the purchase, then even better. It's the sales managers that sometimes have a cow when they hear I have it with me. If I don't buy the car some ask what I found and would I share? Can be entertaining at times.

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 03-30-19 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 11:27 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

An inspection by a competent inspector, and using a paint thickness meter, will easily detect a wreck.

I've always used Lemonsquad with excellent results.
Old 03-31-19, 11:09 AM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
Late Model Lexus vehicles no longer have VIN Stickers on Panels.
Wow, I looked when you said that and you're right! I never thought to check because i've never had to on mine. I also looked on my 2013 Audi S6 and no VIN sticker either, but they're still there on my 2017 Tacoma.
Old 04-03-19, 10:09 AM
MasterWork
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The whole "Totalled" and "carfax" topics are a bit of a slippery slope since the true details are never disclosed. You can technically roll a car off a cliff and repair it on your dime and nobody will ever know since it wont appear on the carfax. As far as a total goes its not necessarily always the "damages are over 75% of the vehicles worth" clause that deems it a total. I have had several cars come into my shop that ultimately were deemed a total loss over the concern of future issues or parts sourcing.

Perfect example, had a 2013 RX in my shop with a front end collision damage (no airbag deployment) however the radiator support tapped the intake manifold. This was in 2016 and the car has 12,000miles on it, the insurance company had decided that even though there was only 6-7k worth of damages the risk of the vehicle needed a new engine later down the line was not worth it for them to repair.

Lets also not forget that just because vehicle has salvage title in one state that does not automatically mean it will receive the same status in another state.

In a nutshell, Carfax and dealers cant be fully trusted on a pre-owned vehicle. It truly comes down to you going over the car and educating yourself on the matter.