GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Anyone have good luck with all season tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 08:31 AM
MRonan83
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anyone have good luck with all season tires?

I know I'm going to catch some slack on this but I'm looking for some recommendations on new tires that are not strictly performance tires. The stock tires were a complete joke this winter and a slight dusting of snow would not allow the car to move. As much as I'd like to stick with summer performance tires, I daily drive my car with kids and need something a little better for rain and snow. Anyone have decent luck with an all season tire? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-19, 08:50 AM
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

No slack at all man! I’ve wondered what my next set of tires will be too. Thanks for asking!
Old 04-01-19, 11:21 AM
SolidG1
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

The ideal setup will always be a dedicated summer tire/winter tire combo, if you have the room for tire storage and DIY tire swaps.

But every winter we only get a week of snow and the city is pretty good in clearing the streets. I understand winter tires are recommended for below 7c road conditions, but the tire I used below works well.

I ran the Continental DWS06 and it was good in light snow. There was a little bit of slippage of course, because it's not a winter tire, but the car was always in control and I never got stuck uphill. It's designed to be a high performance dry, wet and light snow tire. There's good road feel in the dry, but not as sticky as my Pilot Super Sports. I've done hard accelerations when it was 3c in the damp and the traction control never lit up. It was very good in heavy rain as well, no hydroplane and good cornering.

In my opinion, it's a very good tire for daily driving, and can handle light snow, which is what you're asking for. I've seen people use it on the C63 and M3s as well. Check out the reviews on YouTube and Tiretrack.
The following users liked this post:
akshunj (12-17-19)
Old 04-01-19, 12:07 PM
MRonan83
Driver

Originally Posted by SolidG1
The ideal setup will always be a dedicated summer tire/winter tire combo, if you have the room for tire storage and DIY tire swaps.

But every winter we only get a week of snow and the city is pretty good in clearing the streets. I understand winter tires are recommended for below 7c road conditions, but the tire I used below works well.

I ran the Continental DWS06 and it was good in light snow. There was a little bit of slippage of course, because it's not a winter tire, but the car was always in control and I never got stuck uphill. It's designed to be a high performance dry, wet and light snow tire. There's good road feel in the dry, but not as sticky as my Pilot Super Sports. I've done hard accelerations when it was 3c in the damp and the traction control never lit up. It was very good in heavy rain as well, no hydroplane and good cornering.

In my opinion, it's a very good tire for daily driving, and can handle light snow, which is what you're asking for. I've seen people use it on the C63 and M3s as well. Check out the reviews on YouTube and Tiretrack.
Awesome. I'll look into those. I went to the performance shop down the street and they were talking about the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. Have not had a second to look into them yet but will shortly.
Old 04-01-19, 03:30 PM
embassured
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

On past performance rides, I've run 3 different sets of Conti DWSs, loved them and have no complaints - a solid performance all season tire. On the GSF I'll either go with the DWS or the Michelin AS3. The prices are close enough that I'm probably leaning towards the AS3 just to try something different.

Last edited by embassured; 04-01-19 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-01-19, 05:10 PM
COisF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ll add another endorsement for the Continental DWS 06. I’ve had a set of the old DWS and two sets of the DWS 06 on an IS-F, RC-F and GS 350. Honestly they were good enough where I left them on year round and loved them.
The following users liked this post:
akshunj (12-17-19)
Old 04-01-19, 06:40 PM
Fatbarney
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I have AS3's on my GSF now and they are pretty good. Had DWS's on another car and thought they were too soft. Great in the snow though.
Old 04-02-19, 10:54 AM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

One more vote for Conti DWS06. I've been running them since November for the mild winters we have hear in VA. I'll be switching back to the PSS this month.
Old 04-03-19, 06:17 PM
whiteboost
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

DWS tires are great for all around .
Old 04-08-19, 04:17 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I to have the Continental DWS 06, went with them with previous experience with Continental DWS on previous cars.

although I didn't do much winter weather driving, the dry and wet performance are acceptable for me, I daily drive the car, use as much power as possible when ever possible.

I did have some snow driving on the DWS (is250) was not bad, made it home with several inches on the ground.

Last edited by nehal51086; 04-08-19 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-02-19, 05:23 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 166 Likes on 99 Posts

I have had both the AS3 and DWS06 on multiple cars - a couple years of daily driving and track (don't laugh). AS3 has greater dry traction and DWS06 has greater wet traction. AS3s were good in light snow for about 1 season and were terrible thereafter. DWS06 still doing good in light snow for an all season. Gonna order another set this week.
Old 05-04-19, 04:33 PM
akshunj
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I've run the DWS 06 on my IS350, ISF, and will be putting them on the GSF before the winter. Great tires after a nightmare experience with the Michelin AS3's.
Old 05-21-19, 07:41 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MRonan83
Awesome. I'll look into those. I went to the performance shop down the street and they were talking about the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. Have not had a second to look into them yet but will shortly.
I have the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus, they are bad in snow/slush condition, good in dry though.
Old 05-27-19, 07:17 PM
golfer17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread. If I end up going with a GS F for the next car, I plan to run Michelin Pilot AS3+ year round here in the CO Front Range. Currently have a 335i Xdrive on Pirelli PZero AS+. They have been fantastic so far and have incredible grip and feel. But the only time I've really needed AWD was on a really bad snow when getting stopped on a steep hill due to all the stuck cars people were struggling to navigate around. It's actually most useful when trying to make a quick pass in wet weather.

What I love about the GS F is that sweet torque vectoring differential. I'm thinking that should be enough to get going in most conditions I see with all season tires (and the Michelin's are supposed to be slightly better than the Pirellis in snow); provided I don't get stuck on a hill again in really bad snow (could also have just turned around and took a different route too, but kinda wanted to see if my car could make it up). Two wheels that actually work should be better than some of those "awd" systems that quickly turn into 1 wheel drive.
Old 11-20-19, 02:34 PM
MRonan83
Driver

Thank you again for everyone's input.

I ended up putting the DWS 06's on the car today. Immediately I'm upset that I didn't do this a long time ago being that I daily drive my car. The car has far less road noise. It's incredibly smooth and goes over cracks and bumps in the road with no noise or jolt in the car like it did with the Michelin's. For me, and I'll repeat myself, for me it's how the car should have came from the factory. It's the best of both worlds. It is a Lexus so it should be luxurious and comfortable but it also has the power and handling that a performance car should have. Couldn't be more happy right now with this decision. I'll follow up when we get some snow and let you know how it goes.

Thank you again!
The following 2 users liked this post by MRonan83:
akshunj (12-17-19), soepyanf (11-27-19)

Quick Reply: Anyone have good luck with all season tires?