GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

R.i.p.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 11:32 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts
Default R.i.p.

RIP wheel and Pirelli Tire, thanks to lovely MA road conditions following winter. Emergency flat repair kit failed as well, though after seeing what happened I’m not surprised. The pothole gashed my rim and split the sidewall of the tire pretty badly, but I actually could not see the damage until the sealant started leaking out .

Thankfully I bought the wheel and tire protection program ( already used it once before ) so I should be covered on a new wheel, a new tire and the tow charges (yes forgot to use Lexus Roadside Assistance so used AAA)

Old 04-21-19, 12:44 PM
bolaga
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wheel protection plan will not cover the rim damage, unless its unusable or dangerous.

I am on the same boat, Lexus wouldn't cover for the rim scratch. They gave me a hint to "hammer" it and bring it back in, so they can replace it.....
Old 04-21-19, 01:24 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bolaga
Wheel protection plan will not cover the rim damage, unless its unusable or dangerous.

I am on the same boat, Lexus wouldn't cover for the rim scratch. They gave me a hint to "hammer" it and bring it back in, so they can replace it.....
true the won’t replace a wheel that has scratches but they will pay for it to sanded. In this case there is a huge gash in the rim that deformed the metal so it is sticking into the tire, I’m going to push for replacement.

I’m putting on my summer wheels now so tomorrow morning I’m just going to drop it off and let them take care of it either way.
Old 04-21-19, 01:41 PM
bolaga
Rookie

Originally Posted by jonez
true the won’t replace a wheel that has scratches but they will pay for it to sanded. In this case there is a huge gash in the rim that deformed the metal so it is sticking into the tire, I’m going to push for replacement.

I’m putting on my summer wheels now so tomorrow morning I’m just going to drop it off and let them take care of it either way.
mine is slightly worse than the photo and they still won’t bother with anything ... except replacing my tires..

let me know how it goes so I can go back to shop and argue :P
Old 04-21-19, 01:46 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bolaga
mine is slightly worse than the photo and they still won’t bother with anything ... except replacing my tires..
really? I’m surprised, section B of my contract covers sanding/refinishing cosmetic damage. You have the same plan or does it differ between years/models?

Old 04-21-19, 03:42 PM
bolaga
Rookie

really? I’m surprised, section B of my contract covers sanding/refinishing cosmetic damage. You have the same plan or does it differ between years/models?

My dealer told me it does not include the chrome rim for this specific one.
Old 04-22-19, 03:41 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

RIP wheel and Pirelli Tire, thanks to lovely MA road conditions following winter. Emergency flat repair kit failed as well, though after seeing what happened I’m not surprised. The pothole gashed my rim and split the sidewall of the tire pretty badly, but I actually could not see the damage until the sealant started leaking out .

Thankfully I bought the wheel and tire protection program ( already used it once before ) so I should be covered on a new wheel, a new tire and the tow charges (yes forgot to use Lexus Roadside Assistance so used AAA)

Yep, I have hit a couple and they have hit my soul. I think the only thing that saved my tire was the RFT which I do hate on my car. The one thing I will say is the wheel and tire is def worth it in Mass for sure. Which wheel protection do you have, Mine is covered for wheel replacement from what my dealer told me before I purchased it.
Old 04-22-19, 06:31 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Yep, I have hit a couple and they have hit my soul. I think the only thing that saved my tire was the RFT which I do hate on my car. The one thing I will say is the wheel and tire is def worth it in Mass for sure. Which wheel protection do you have, Mine is covered for wheel replacement from what my dealer told me before I purchased it.
Yep totally worth it, roads are in horrible shape in the spring during the freeze/thaw cycles we have during day/nights. I used it last year when a nail went through my tire.

I have the Wheel and Tire protection program with Cosmetic Coverage. They explained to me that if I get curb rash on any part of the GSF wheel they will either repair it or if the damage is greater, replace it for free. I spent a good 5 minutes with the finance guy talking about the protection and he said a lot of people use it and they almost always cover repair/replacements so I bought it.

I'm about to call them so I guess now we'll see if they live up to that promise.
Old 04-23-19, 03:03 AM
bigblack06

Yep totally worth it, roads are in horrible shape in the spring during the freeze/thaw cycles we have during day/nights. I used it last year when a nail went through my tire.

I have the Wheel and Tire protection program with Cosmetic Coverage. They explained to me that if I get curb rash on any part of the GSF wheel they will either repair it or if the damage is greater, replace it for free. I spent a good 5 minutes with the finance guy talking about the protection and he said a lot of people use it and they almost always cover repair/replacements so I bought it.

I'm about to call them so I guess now we'll see if they live up to that promise.
Yeah it is money well spent, you should definitely be covered though for a new one. You literally made me re-read mine last night. I didn't know it covers aftermarket wheels as well.
Old 04-24-19, 11:18 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Yeah it is money well spent, you should definitely be covered though for a new one. You literally made me re-read mine last night. I didn't know it covers aftermarket wheels as well.
Ok just an update, It just so happened that the contractor who they use to repair wheels was there while I visited. I brought a second wheel that had some curb rash and he said he should be able to refinish that one. For the one that i damaged he'll have to look at it further because the gash went straight through the inside part of the rim and it may impact the seal of the tire to the wheel The service rep told me Lexus won't let them replace the wheel unless the tire can't form a seal with it, so basically exactly what the service rep for @bolaga was saying except my dealership is saying they will cover sanding/refinishing it.

We'll see what comes of it... the gash really is on the inside of the rim so even if they sanded this down it wouldn't be very noticeable and i use these rims in the winter, no one is looking at nice wheels in the winter in MA

Another thought... the finance rep who sold me this package told me they would replace wheels for hitting curbs, never did he mention it would require the tire not to properly seal to the wheel (and I was too gullible in the moment to read the fine print). If I had to go back and choose to get this program again, I would but I would negotiate a discount.
Old 04-25-19, 03:57 AM
bigblack06

Ok just an update, It just so happened that the contractor who they use to repair wheels was there while I visited. I brought a second wheel that had some curb rash and he said he should be able to refinish that one. For the one that i damaged he'll have to look at it further because the gash went straight through the inside part of the rim and it may impact the seal of the tire to the wheel The service rep told me Lexus won't let them replace the wheel unless the tire can't form a seal with it, so basically exactly what the service rep for @bolaga was saying except my dealership is saying they will cover sanding/refinishing it.

We'll see what comes of it... the gash really is on the inside of the rim so even if they sanded this down it wouldn't be very noticeable and i use these rims in the winter, no one is looking at nice wheels in the winter in MA

Another thought... the finance rep who sold me this package told me they would replace wheels for hitting curbs, never did he mention it would require the tire not to properly seal to the wheel (and I was too gullible in the moment to read the fine print). If I had to go back and choose to get this program again, I would but I would negotiate a discount.
That's how they get the sale. That is good that it is located in the inside and not the outer part. On a side note, I've been using the 311 Boston app to report the potholes, making my excise tax dollars got to work.
Old 05-02-19, 07:27 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

Got a call from the dealership this week, they replaced the Pirelli winter tire and refinished both wheels back to looking almost brand new. That’s now 2 tires replaced and 2 wheels refinished, I think I got my money’s worth. The bill they had on this work I can’t quite remember but it was upwards of $600.

Old 05-02-19, 07:28 PM
jonez
Pit Crew

On a side note, I've been using the 311 Boston app to report the potholes, making my excise tax dollars got to work.
i should probably do the same