GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 10:24 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,957 Likes on 2,396 Posts

See post #6. Complete instructions from the factory service manual.
Old 05-31-20, 11:22 AM
4GS954
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Ok, people are getting stranded by this thing after a simple battery change. Here's what to do:

RESET PARKING BRAKE MEMORY without TECHSTREAM
(a) Turn the engine switch off.
(b) Using a shorting wire like a paper clip, connect terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.

(c) Turn the engine switch on (IG).
The parking brake indicator light (red) will blink rapidly at 0.25 second intervals.
(d) Perform both of the following procedures within 8 seconds:
(1) Perform the following with the electric parking brake switch twice: lock condition → off → release condition → off.
(2) Perform the following with the brake pedal: depress → release → depress → release.
(e) With the engine switch on (IG), disconnect the connection of terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.
(f) Check that the parking brake indicator light (red) blinks at 1 second intervals.
If terminal 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3 are not disconnected, the blinking pattern (1 second intervals) cannot be checked. If the parking brake indicator light (red) blinking pattern (1 second intervals) is confirmed, the clear procedure is completed. If not confirmed, repeat the procedures above.
ACQUIRE TENSION SENSOR ZERO POINT
After performing reset memory, perform the release control. Check that the parking brake indicator light turns off.

will this work for a 2013 GS?
Old 05-31-20, 02:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes if it has an electronic parking brake.
Old 08-22-20, 07:28 PM
lgene
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TrevorR
So last week my cars battery was dead and I had to manually release the parking brake to be able to push the car out of my garage since it was nose in.. So I jump started my car and now the car has the message "Emergency Parking brake malfunction". The emergency parking brake doesn't work. I'm assuming this is because I had to manually release the parking brake. Does anyone know how to reset the system? Nearest Lexus dealership is 88 miles away. I don't really want to make the trip just to reset it...

I spoke with the master technician there over the phone and explained what I did and he said that it just needs to be reset because I manually released the parking brake.

Any advice? I looked in the manual and it says to visit the dealer.... I'm mechanically inclined so if I have to crawl under the car I will. Any help appreciated!

Edit: The battery was tested good btw, it just was low on charge.
So how did you manually release the parking brake?

Here is my situation. The battery in my NX300 is dead. There is no space in my garage to bring another car by the side of the NX300 so that the jumper cables can reach and do a jump start. So I have no other choice than to push the NX300 out of the garage and after that, get a jump start. I have figured out how to disengage the gear shift lever from 'P' to Neutral. But the car is not budging even with 3 people pushing it, presumably because the parking brake is engaged.

Please let me know how to disengage the electronic parking brake with no power at all.
Old 08-22-20, 09:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Not going to be easier than just finding another car battery (or a jump pack) and putting jumper cables on it from a convenient place in your garage. You don't need a car, you just need a good battery.
Old 10-09-20, 12:17 PM
Packboygee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Just want to update this thread in case someone in future comes up with this issue, can confirm this works!

With a paperclip and 8 seconds of instructions my parking brake was reinitialized!

PM me or Lobuxracer for the how to.

Thanks Lobux!

how was it done ??
Old 10-09-20, 12:29 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by lgene
So how did you manually release the parking brake?

Here is my situation. The battery in my NX300 is dead. There is no space in my garage to bring another car by the side of the NX300 so that the jumper cables can reach and do a jump start. So I have no other choice than to push the NX300 out of the garage and after that, get a jump start. I have figured out how to disengage the gear shift lever from 'P' to Neutral. But the car is not budging even with 3 people pushing it, presumably because the parking brake is engaged.

Please let me know how to disengage the electronic parking brake with no power at all.
Would be easier if you just got a lithium ion jump starter. Or a Ctek.
Old 11-02-20, 09:14 AM
vov4uk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic brakes won’t engage when parking me car.

RESET PARKING BRAKE MEMORY without TECHSTREAM
(a) Turn the engine switch off.
(b) Using a shorting wire like a paper clip, connect terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.

(c) Turn the engine switch on (IG).
The parking brake indicator light (red) will blink rapidly at 0.25 second intervals.
(d) Perform both of the following procedures within 8 seconds:
(1) Perform the following with the electric parking brake switch twice: lock condition → off → release condition → off.
(2) Perform the following with the brake pedal: depress → release → depress → release.
(e) With the engine switch on (IG), disconnect the connection of terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.
(f) Check that the parking brake indicator light (red) blinks at 1 second intervals.
If terminal 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3 are not disconnected, the blinking pattern (1 second intervals) cannot be checked. If the parking brake indicator light (red) blinking pattern (1 second intervals) is confirmed, the clear procedure is completed. If not confirmed, repeat the procedures above.
ACQUIRE TENSION SENSOR ZERO POINT
After performing reset memory, perform the release control. Check that the parking brake indicator light turns off.

Hi. I’ve got electronic parking brake malfunction message after replacing rear brake pads. I’m glad this instruction helped me to get rid of this message. Thanks a lot. Still something is not back to normal. Electronic brakes won’t engage when parking the car. It still won’t move using transmission park like in old cars. Is there a way to reset that? Appreciate your response.

Following on my inquiry. Feel stupid. Figured this out myself. May help someone else. Electronic parking brake will engage when parkin the vehicle only if AUTO green light is on. To turn it on just simply lift the parking switch to engage it and hold it for few seconds until it turns on. To Turn it off just push it down and hold it for few seconds. That’s all.

Last edited by vov4uk; 11-02-20 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-05-20, 01:05 PM
Santa01
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great info, question...where is the fuse box? Also, is the switch on for the ignition or should the engine be running? Thanks

Last edited by Santa01; 11-05-20 at 01:07 PM. Reason: new info
Old 11-05-20, 03:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No need to start the engine at all.

Fuse box? What for?
Old 11-06-20, 08:18 AM
Santa01
Rookie

My bad, where/what is the DLC?
Old 11-06-20, 09:45 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The DLC is a connector underneath the driver's side dashboard. It's a standard OBDII connector and it provides the interface to connect Techstream or other diagnostic tools to read codes from the ECM/ECUs and to modify personalization settings. It's completely underneath, so you need to literally look up from the floor to see it.
Old 11-06-20, 11:59 AM
Santa01
Rookie

Thank you sir!!!
Old 11-06-20, 12:14 PM
Flying3
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

I didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if I am repeating this.

I bought one of these and store it in the compartment under the trunk floor. I top the charge every three months or so. Perfect for a dead battery. The days of jumping from another car are over.

The following 2 users liked this post by Flying3:
BruceinFla (08-21-23), lobuxracer (01-17-22)
Old 04-05-21, 08:30 AM
rclfast
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced rear brakes yesterday on my 2015 NX200t F Sport. Part of this entails removing the electronic parking brake contraption. Anyway, after putting everything together "Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction" comes on. The car drives fine, brakes work well but this warning light is on. Should I do what is suggested, going through each step? Or, should I do something else?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.
The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (05-12-24)

Quick Reply: Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction