GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 06:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by rclfast
I replaced rear brakes yesterday on my 2015 NX200t F Sport. Part of this entails removing the electronic parking brake contraption. Anyway, after putting everything together "Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction" comes on. The car drives fine, brakes work well but this warning light is on. Should I do what is suggested, going through each step? Or, should I do something else?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.
Do you want the parking brake to work properly? If you do, follow the procedure. If it doesn't matter, leave it as is.
Old 04-06-21, 07:37 AM
rclfast
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you. I really don't care if the parking break works or not. The warning on the dashboard is a bit conspicuous and annoying, however. I'm getting my car inspected Wednesday(tomorrow), I live in PA and not sure what they're going to say, if anything. I will probably go through the steps you posted. Regardless, thanks again.
Old 12-04-21, 02:58 PM
jimtom
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPB not operational in dash

Has anyone determined if this due to a faulty control board inside the trunk on driver side? Or is this the actual break mechanism actuator near the differential???? The reset with shorting obd2 pins works, when the car is running the parking engages and disengage just fine with no errors, but if I engage it the off the car, turn it back on and release it I get the error, and have to reinitialize it, so annoying. Battery is new. Anyone change the control board in the trunk and see this go away???
Old 05-03-22, 06:26 PM
Thythy0805
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by janski
thanks for sharing this! It would seem i actually do have an issue.

I followed the instructions and noticed while in diagnostic mode and inside of the 8 seconds, i get a parking brake available message the first time i press it according to the instructions. I interpreted them as;

1. Jumper pins 4 (gnd) and 13 (tc)
2. Press engine start to start engine
3. Complete steps 4 and 5 within 8s of starting the car
4. Activate and deactivate the park brake twice
5. Press and release the brakes twice.
6. Remove the jumper while engine is still running

after i see the message from first attempt at activating the park brake, the park brake light is already blinking once per second. The issue remains after removing the jumper and also after having shut the car off and starting it again.

A scanner connected to the obdii port revealed and error stating the door lock circuit does not have power. I did have a remote starter installed two weeks prior, so i will bring this info to them.

Any further ideas will also be appreciated. This model of car does not like having the battery disconnected. I had to run the driver's seat through a recalibration as well.

Thanks.
will this procedure work for 2018 lexus rx350 too? So if yes can you explain more clearly about the 8 second step 1 please?
Old 05-03-22, 06:34 PM
Thythy0805
Driver School Candidate

Will this reseting procedure work for 2018 rx 350? If yes can you explain more clearly about 8 seconds step 1? I got a message parking brake malfunction and is not working (on the dashboard after changing the rear brake pads and now the parking brake is not working but everything else is fine.. Can you please help? Thank you in advanced.
Old 05-03-22, 11:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Thythy0805
Will this reseting procedure work for 2018 rx 350? If yes can you explain more clearly about 8 seconds step 1? I got a message parking brake malfunction and is not working (on the dashboard after changing the rear brake pads and now the parking brake is not working but everything else is fine.. Can you please help? Thank you in advanced.
This procedure does not apply to the 2018 RX350. There isn't a memory initialization procedure I can find in TIS for this model and year.
Old 06-06-22, 12:52 PM
Jngo87
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Thythy0805
Hi, were you able to get rid of the error? I have the same year and model with the same issue after pads replacement. Ty
Old 06-12-22, 06:31 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Parking brake disable?

Hey so I had a question. Is there a way to permanently disable the electronic parking brake malfunction code as I swapped my calipers all around to the gsf calipers and wanted to remove the warning from the dash. Is there a possible way in tech stream and anyone with access to tech stream can you confirm ?
Old 06-12-22, 06:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by LexoticJ
Hey so I had a question. Is there a way to permanently disable the electronic parking brake malfunction code as I swapped my calipers all around to the gsf calipers and wanted to remove the warning from the dash. Is there a possible way in tech stream and anyone with access to tech stream can you confirm ?
Doesn't sound like you have a GS F. What car is this for and have you looked in that forum?

The calipers have nothing to do with the parking brake system.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-12-22 at 06:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LexoticJ (06-13-22)
Old 06-13-22, 05:26 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Doesn't sound like you have a GS F. What car is this for and have you looked in that forum?

The calipers have nothing to do with the parking brake system.

i have a 21 is350 and did this swap back in December 2020 when I bought the car. Just seeing if there is a fix for the warning light that stays on the dash. My 21 came with factory electronic parking brakes built into the calipers and had a plug connected to it so when I unplugged that and taped it off ever since then the light has been on.
Old 06-13-22, 11:04 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The ABS ECU controls the parking brake. There is no way to get the warning turned off using Techstream.

I can't believe they've gone back to such a poor parking brake implementation. They did this in the 80's and 90's and it was a huge PITA for the service department because the brake pads would transfer material to the disc when the parking brake was applied and cause shuddering in the rear brakes. They've used separate drum brakes ever since to avoid this, but it appears the accountants won this time on these models. What a disaster.
Old 06-29-22, 07:47 PM
LS460Lex
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, people are getting stranded by this thing after a simple battery change. Here's what to do:

RESET PARKING BRAKE MEMORY without TECHSTREAM
(a) Turn the engine switch off.
(b) Using a shorting wire like a paper clip, connect terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.

(c) Turn the engine switch on (IG).
The parking brake indicator light (red) will blink rapidly at 0.25 second intervals.
(d) Perform both of the following procedures within 8 seconds:
(1) Perform the following with the electric parking brake switch twice: lock condition → off → release condition → off.
(2) Perform the following with the brake pedal: depress → release → depress → release.
(e) With the engine switch on (IG), disconnect the connection of terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.
(f) Check that the parking brake indicator light (red) blinks at 1 second intervals.
If terminal 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3 are not disconnected, the blinking pattern (1 second intervals) cannot be checked. If the parking brake indicator light (red) blinking pattern (1 second intervals) is confirmed, the clear procedure is completed. If not confirmed, repeat the procedures above.
ACQUIRE TENSION SENSOR ZERO POINT
After performing reset memory, perform the release control. Check that the parking brake indicator light turns off.

If I manually disengaged the parking brake from the trunk under the spare do I need to reengage the parking brake before resetting the module following the above instructions first or will it do it automatically?
Old 06-29-22, 08:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Under the spare? Doesn't sound like a GS F.
Old 07-16-22, 05:43 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Damn that sucks that they went backwards as when upgrading the rear to the brembo calipers this just ignited an error on the dash that stays and won’t go away even after dismissing it goes away for a few but comes back.
Old 07-19-22, 06:10 AM
gustavette
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clarification and applicable to NX200T 2017?

Ok, people are getting stranded by this thing after a simple battery change. Here's what to do:

RESET PARKING BRAKE MEMORY without TECHSTREAM
(a) Turn the engine switch off.
(b) Using a shorting wire like a paper clip, connect terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.

(c) Turn the engine switch on (IG).
The parking brake indicator light (red) will blink rapidly at 0.25 second intervals.
(1) Perform the following with the electric parking brake switch twice: lock condition → off → release condition → off.
(2) Perform the following with the brake pedal: depress → release → depress → release.
(e) With the engine switch on (IG), disconnect the connection of terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3.
(f) Check that the parking brake indicator light (red) blinks at 1 second intervals.
If terminal 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3 are not disconnected, the blinking pattern (1 second intervals) cannot be checked. If the parking brake indicator light (red) blinking pattern (1 second intervals) is confirmed, the clear procedure is completed. If not confirmed, repeat the procedures above.
ACQUIRE TENSION SENSOR ZERO POINT
After performing reset memory, perform the release control. Check that the parking brake indicator light turns off.

Great info...
a) Will the above work for a 2017 NX200T?
b) Can you explain in more detail the following step:
(1) Perform the following with the electric parking brake switch twice: lock condition → off → release condition → off. (does this mean I press the button down 2 times in a row, then pull it up 2 times in row?)
(2) Perform the following with the brake pedal: depress → release → depress → release.(does this mean I press the brake pedal twice?)

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction