GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-23, 06:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,075 Likes on 2,469 Posts

There is no initialization procedure in TIS for a 2021 IS350. Not sure where your problem is, but this initialization isn't shown at all for your model and year.
Old 05-10-23, 06:58 AM
4Gabe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Most codes like this need to be cleared. The NX uses a different procedure. You need to short the pins, then pull the switch to the lock (set) position 5 times.

Within 5 seconds after turning the engine switch on (IG), pull the electric parking brake switch (integration control and panel assembly) to the lock side 5 times.
Hello all new guy been lurking a little. I followed this process on my 2015 nx200t at first it looked like it was working the brake malfunction error went away, however the red park light was flashing on the dash and red light on the button as if brake was on. I thought I needed to release the EB, so a stepped on brake and pushed down on button/lever, could hear actuator moving, but both lights still flash. any suggestions?
Old 07-01-23, 11:18 PM
ctuccinardi
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Just want to update this thread in case someone in future comes up with this issue, can confirm this works!

With a paperclip and 8 seconds of instructions my parking brake was reinitialized!

PM me or Lobuxracer for the how to.

Thanks Lobux!
Can you please help me with the paperclip instructions? I'm in dire need of my car and don't know what happened.
Old 09-25-23, 02:01 PM
zaghirahmed
1st Gear

Default Please tell me how you fixed this.

I would really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Supraman18
Just sent you a PM.
Old 02-03-24, 02:42 AM
Marc780
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

THIS is one of the most lit posts I've seen in a long time. Something to learn about so many procedure and components I never even knew existed.

Due to possible issues involved with a mere battery change I have decided the best way to change the battery myself (if I have to) is

1. Block the wheels.
2. RELEASE THE PARKING BRAKES
3. Connect this thing if there's any chance the battery is holding memory settings...

4. Only after doing all that, cross your fingers, perhaps say a quick prayer or two and change the battery.
5. Better yet have the dealer do it probably...
Old 02-03-24, 08:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

That's way overkill. I've changed the battery in the GS F in my garage with zero issues more than once. Just be prudent and don't make/break connection by fumbling around with the battery connections.
Old 03-10-24, 02:51 PM
LucianoNX
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M

Most codes like this need to be cleared. The NX uses a different procedure. You need to short the pins, then pull the switch to the lock (set) position 5 times.

Within 5 seconds after turning the engine switch on (IG), pull the electric parking brake switch (integration control and panel assembly) to the lock side 5 times.
Thank yOu very much! Helped a brazilian , imagine how dificilt is to find a dealer...

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-17-24 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-16-24, 09:12 PM
Kirkwood2123
4th Gear

I can't believe lexus went this route with this silly parking break system so much for reliability?? Note disconecting the 2 plugs in the ecu in the trunk and reconnecting them basically does the same as the memory reset procedure with pin 4 and 13 shorted.

. So has anyone replaced the brown box ecu inside the trunk on the driver side to see if this cures this?
New part is 749 , many on eBay for 50 to 100 bucks I've ordered one to see if this cures it.

After the memory reset I can engage and disengage the E brake about 5 to 7 times before this error returns. I can't see this being wiring, mechanucal actuator or the relay or switch. Which leaves the ecu in question 🤔.

Last edited by Kirkwood2123; 03-16-24 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-16-24, 09:16 PM
Kirkwood2123
4th Gear

Whats funny my moms 2018 gs 300 h has a foot pedal e brake, go figure 🤔
Old 03-17-24, 01:28 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

OK. So you do this thing not in the manual, and it doesn't happen again for 5 to 7 times, but if you do what's in the manual, it NEVER happens again. Nice fix!
Old 03-17-24, 03:09 AM
Kirkwood2123
4th Gear

OK. So you do this thing not in the manual, and it doesn't happen again for 5 to 7 times, but if you do what's in the manual, it NEVER happens again. Nice fix!
no both methods only clear it for 5 to 7 cycles of normal use then it errors again. I'm gonna throw an EPB ECU see if that helps any. I have not scanned any codes when its in error as I don't own anything to read these EPB codes. Just curious if anyone here has replaced the EPB ECU
Old 03-17-24, 07:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Kirkwood2123
no both methods only clear it for 5 to 7 cycles of normal use then it errors again. I'm gonna throw an EPB ECU see if that helps any. I have not scanned any codes when its in error as I don't own anything to read these EPB codes. Just curious if anyone here has replaced the EPB ECU
No need to, this fixes it permanently if it is done right and there are no other faults. Is this a GS F or something else?
Old 03-17-24, 11:56 PM
Kirkwood2123
4th Gear

No need to, this fixes it permanently if it is done right and there are no other faults. Is this a GS F or something else?
2015 gs350. I was missing the proper steps in the procedure and I think I was not completing it correctly. Did it exactly as its explained and seems ok for now. I'll test it and see if it comes back.
Old 04-07-24, 12:56 AM
jimtom
7th Gear

I've tried this both ways where I remove the wire then release the E brake switch in the end or keep the wire in the DLC and release the E brake both clear the error in the dashboard but it returns right after 1 or 2 uses. One time it took 3 miles of driving before it came up, really disappointed with this lame idea of lexus introducing this crappy ebrake crap when the foot pedal and cable has worked fine for the last 60 years. If its working reliably why change it toyota????
Old 04-07-24, 04:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by jimtom
I've tried this both ways where I remove the wire then release the E brake switch in the end or keep the wire in the DLC and release the E brake both clear the error in the dashboard but it returns right after 1 or 2 uses. One time it took 3 miles of driving before it came up, really disappointed with this lame idea of lexus introducing this crappy ebrake crap when the foot pedal and cable has worked fine for the last 60 years. If its working reliably why change it toyota????
Most people do not use the parking brake and it slowly kill the parking pawls in the transmission. So the engineers decided to come up with a zero effort way of applying the parking brake to minimize the opportunity to damage the parking pawls in the gearbox. I have had zero, and I mean completely zero issues with this system. I posted the procedure only because other people were having issues and it seemed to me to be pretty ridiculous to have to get the car towed to solve the problem. In your case, there's probably something seriously wrong that needs to be addressed before it will work as intended by the engineers at Lexus.

Quick Reply: Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction