GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Headlight lens cracked

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 02:45 PM
N3M35IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight lens cracked

Has anyone dealt with a headlight lens cracking? both my headlights has hairline cracks on the top area about 6 inches long. i don't see any impact on the lights which could have caused this damage so i'm not sure if this is a defect in part or not. Plan to stop by dealership when i have some free time. Also does anyone know if the lens off a regular headlight non tri beam would fit the tri beam headlight? just trying to figure out some alternative options in case this isn't warranty.
Old 06-26-19, 05:12 PM
Amazon
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by N3M35IS
Has anyone dealt with a headlight lens cracking? both my headlights has hairline cracks on the top area about 6 inches long. i don't see any impact on the lights which could have caused this damage so i'm not sure if this is a defect in part or not. Plan to stop by dealership when i have some free time. Also does anyone know if the lens off a regular headlight non tri beam would fit the tri beam headlight? just trying to figure out some alternative options in case this isn't warranty.
I didn't have any issue with headlights but did have taillights stress crack recently that was covered under warranty.Any pictures of the headlight cracking issue?
Old 06-26-19, 05:35 PM
N3M35IS
Driver School Candidate

It was kind of hard to capture this with my phone. This was the best I could do.
Old 06-26-19, 05:52 PM
Amazon
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It was kind of hard to capture this with my phone. This was the best I could do.
Wow never seen that before, If you can't feel the crack then it should be covered under warranty.
My buddy with a rcf had similar cracking like yours but on the inside lower lense which was covered by warranty.
Old 06-26-19, 09:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

53k miles, production date 11/2015, and no cracks. Is your car normally parked outside?
Old 06-26-19, 09:30 PM
N3M35IS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
53k miles, production date 11/2015, and no cracks. Is your car normally parked outside?
Normally in the garage. Normally drive it on weekends but i do take it to work at times which sits outside.
Old 06-27-19, 12:42 PM
bigblack06

Received 325 Likes on 222 Posts

Normally in the garage. Normally drive it on weekends but i do take it to work at times which sits outside.
That is a very random spot, and on both sides at that.
Old 06-27-19, 05:06 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you use chemicals like acetone to clean them?
Old 06-28-19, 07:16 AM
N3M35IS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
Do you use chemicals like acetone to clean them?
Normally use water and soap if needed. Also use meguairs quick detailer at times.
Old 06-28-19, 10:09 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Normally use water and soap if needed. Also use meguairs quick detailer at times.
Head scratcher. Hope you’re able to figure it out.
Old 07-01-19, 07:28 AM
bklszl
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

To the OP:

I had the exactly same issue at 25.000 mileage (‘18 GSF). I was told that it’s a material fault and was replaced with brand new ones through warranty. I had also a small crack in my DRL leds, but the new headlight units come with new led DRLs, so I have no issue now. Without warranty the bill would have been $5,3k
Old 07-03-19, 03:48 PM
N3M35IS
Driver School Candidate

Funny how i have 24,500 miles on mine and this happened. so i dropped it off at the dealership and a day later they contact me to give me an update. they said they can't warranty the headlights because they think someone sat on my hood which caused the lights to crack. there's no damage signs on the hood to prove this and they have no way of proving this. so adviser said he will speak to foreman and manager again. calls me back hours later and tells me they cant warranty it because its not a lexus manufactured part. also said they have never seen this before on any other gs models and that's why they cant fix it under warranty. I'm about to go up to dealership to pick up and the car and talk to a manager if hes still there about this and file a complaint to lexus corp.
Old 07-03-19, 10:50 PM
bklszl
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I had these cracks, on the same position on both of my headlights. It’s definitely factory defective, Lexus should just file a complaint to the it’s headlight supplier and change it under warranty. I don’t understand why US dealerships are so against it’s consumers, here in Eastern-EU the process was simple and fair, but took a bit long though (almost 3 months passed between my complaint and the install, they blamed the shipping).
Old 07-05-19, 07:13 AM
N3M35IS
Driver School Candidate

thanks for posting pictures. maybe this can help me fight my case with lexus now.
Old 07-05-19, 09:03 AM
N3M35IS
Driver School Candidate

*UPDATE*

Lexus called me after i filed a complaint about this whole situation. The case manager that's handling my case is off today, so someone else called me to give me an update. she said there's notes written on this case stating lexus will not cover this under warranty. i asked for their reasoning and they said i have to wait until monday to get an explanation from the person handling this case.

Quick Reply: Headlight lens cracked