GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Apple Play for GSF

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 11:20 AM
1wacko
Intermediate

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Inertia
Is that an option that you have to configure yourself or the installation team (meaning is that part of the product itself or something after market)? It sounds like something you can change after the fact in some type of menu option. This is really good to know. I wonder if this is available for the mirroring product. Thanks for the reply!
The dip switches come configured for using all of the screen (stretched), but you can change it to use the non-stretch option. The dip switches are not a menu item and they have to be configured before tucking away the product behind the dashboard. The guys that did my installation asked me if I wanted to change it and I kept it on option 1, which is stretched. Once they did all of the wiring, they tucked the product under the glove box tight and secure without adding double sided tape or anything else as they recommended, and so far it seems tight and not moving. Below is the section from the manual that explains the dip switches.

The following users liked this post:
finny76 (01-25-21)
Old 10-01-19, 05:23 AM
Marth06
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1wacko
Good news; it works with Radio on and Waze. Video below.

https://youtu.be/-1UaPuQmLzM
Thanks for doing that
thats great....I reckon I’ll get it for sure.
also I think leaving it stretched is probably the way to go. Doesn’t look way over stretched.
also ios13 will probably make it better with the split screen
1wacko (10-01-19)
Old 10-05-19, 01:51 AM
1wacko
Intermediate

I found out that it's currently available at https://www.modinjapan.com/apple-car...us-models.html as per the website, if you guys are interested. it looks like the one I have and the SKU is BEAT-CARPLAY. I know that Beat-Sonic is out of stock currently, I think.
Old 10-05-19, 11:31 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks! I just ordered this for my GSF. I also looked at the installation video online, seems pretty straight forward. the only thing I'm not seeing is where everything gets hidden? I see you mentioned something gets tucked away in the glove box and you connect it from there. I would like this install to be as clean as possible. so the usb that's in the center console will not take you to apple car play? there's a different USB connection that's needed to use this?

if that's the case might be worth it waiting for the wireless version.
Old 10-05-19, 11:47 AM
1wacko
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CobraGSF
Thanks! I just ordered this for my GSF. I also looked at the installation video online, seems pretty straight forward. the only thing I'm not seeing is where everything gets hidden? I see you mentioned something gets tucked away in the glove box and you connect it from there. I would like this install to be as clean as possible. so the usb that's in the center console will not take you to apple car play? there's a different USB connection that's needed to use this?

if that's the case might be worth it waiting for the wireless version.
Yes, you can not use carplay with the center console usb hub. It comes with its own usb connector, which I had it laid in the glove box, and I connect the lighting cable to it. When I want to use the CarPlay, I pull the cable out from the glove box, and when i’m done, I tuck it back in the glove box. Doing it this way, I did not have to do any changes to the car and kept things clean; also in their install video that’s what they show and I think it is the best way to go without doing any changes to the car other than the straightforward install. As for the new cable and parts they all fit behind the infotainment system and glove box or under the glove box.
Old 11-04-19, 10:14 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 772 Likes on 481 Posts

Going to ask a dumb question but why has Lexus not updated the infotainment system on the GS-F at all? I would have purchased it already but I really can't stand the joystick method they have on this. My wife's NX has the touch pad and that can be frustrating at times but the joystick is just not for me. Does Lexus ever plan on updating the infotainment? I feel like this car has 90% of the checks for me and would easily be at 100% if they would have implemented a better system.

-Nigel
1wacko (11-04-19)
Old 11-04-19, 10:28 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
Going to ask a dumb question but why has Lexus not updated the infotainment system on the GS-F at all? I would have purchased it already but I really can't stand the joystick method they have on this. My wife's NX has the touch pad and that can be frustrating at times but the joystick is just not for me. Does Lexus ever plan on updating the infotainment? I feel like this car has 90% of the checks for me and would easily be at 100% if they would have implemented a better system.

-Nigel
It's really not that bad. I'd prefer Android Auto, but I focus on driving. The joystick works fine for me. I typically use Google Maps on my phone. I leave the Lexus screen with secondary map in the background, and usually music, hvac settings, or drive data on the right screen.
1wacko (11-04-19)
Old 11-04-19, 11:32 AM
1wacko
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Teutonic
It's really not that bad. I'd prefer Android Auto, but I focus on driving. The joystick works fine for me. I typically use Google Maps on my phone. I leave the Lexus screen with secondary map in the background, and usually music, hvac settings, or drive data on the right screen.
I agree with you Teutonic, and the same with me. I don't mind the joystick and I too typically use Google maps. The Apple Carplay or Android Auto is just an additional option to use when you need to, and once you get used to any of them, its hard not to have it. It is like the car becomes your phone. I have no regrets installing the Apple Carplay on my GSF and I enjoy using it.

Also nigel821 you can use siri to open and run any application for you if you hate the joystick. So far Lexus seems not interested in coming up with an Apple Carplay or Android Auto option for our cars.

Last edited by 1wacko; 01-22-21 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-22-21, 09:42 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Any updates on people installing this as an Apple car play option on GSF?

I was also thinking of just using an AC vent magnetic vent holder. Looks like a Uber/Lyft driver but maybe it’s better than doing a retrofit.

another issue to consider is if this voids factory warranty which I’m almost certain it will.
Old 01-22-21, 10:21 AM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom44
Any updates on people installing this as an Apple car play option on GSF?

I was also thinking of just using an AC vent magnetic vent holder. Looks like a Uber/Lyft driver but maybe it’s better than doing a retrofit.

another issue to consider is if this voids factory warranty which I’m almost certain it will.
I have not purchased this yet for the highly likely reason that it will likely void warranty on the whole info system. That's a no go for me right now since I have almost a full 4 years left on warranty.
DJFrakis (01-23-21)