GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Do Axle Back Exhaust systems make more power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19 | 12:26 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
Have you considered the JoeZ full exhaust?
I wanted to keep the car relatively stock sounding. I had the JoeZ exhaust for my IS-F, and while I loved it when it had the stock headers, it was a bit too loud once I upgraded to PPE Headers. I think JoeZ make one of the nicest, if not the best quality, exhaust systems for our cars, but just a tad louder than I want for the GS-F right now.
The following users liked this post:
bbaugher47 (07-14-19)
Old 07-15-19 | 11:17 PM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsfmike
Got my tanabe exhaust and plan on running it with the apexi midpipe. Haven't seen anyone with that setup yet on GSF.
Let me know how that works out for you.
Mid pipes tend to introduce "rasp"... that's my only issue.
Old 07-16-19 | 07:16 AM
skhmund
Rookie

Originally Posted by gsfmike
Got my tanabe exhaust and plan on running it with the apexi midpipe. Haven't seen anyone with that setup yet on GSF.
Upload some videos of the Tanabe! There aren’t enough online to get a good idea of how it sounds.
Old 07-16-19 | 09:02 AM
2016GSF
Driver School Candidate

Default Stock vs Tanabe

Just installed the Tanabe yesterday sounds great to me . You can there is a lot of restrictions on the factory axle back . Josh over at Meraki Autoworks , put order in last Monday and I got it the next day.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2016GSF:
designo (07-16-19), Meraki Autoworks (07-17-19)
Old 07-16-19 | 01:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 2016GSF
Just installed the Tanabe yesterday sounds great to me . You can there is a lot of restrictions on the factory axle back . Josh over at Meraki Autoworks , put order in last Monday and I got it the next day.
After some years of testing flow and porting cylinder heads, I can confidently say it is impossible to "see" restrictions. I've seen things look utterly disastrous that flow ridiculously. Gases are funny that way.

Glad you are happy with the outcome!
Old 07-16-19 | 03:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Wait for it I knew that post was coming

Lou
NotFSport (07-17-19)
Old 07-16-19 | 05:08 PM
skhmund
Rookie

Any sound clips/vids?
Old 07-16-19 | 06:00 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Originally Posted by skhmund
Any sound clips/vids?
Would really appreciate video while in cabin as well. Specifically would like to know if louder (at cruising speeds) than ASC (when ‘On’).

Last edited by Dukeaudio; 07-16-19 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-16-19 | 11:08 PM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
After some years of testing flow and porting cylinder heads, I can confidently say it is impossible to "see" restrictions. I've seen things look utterly disastrous that flow ridiculously. Gases are funny that way.

Glad you are happy with the outcome!
Strange you say that, because from experience, I lost performance when I installed the Greddy Supreme system.
I only later discovered that the pipes of the Greddy were smaller in diameter than the Tanabe.

I also was experiencing a lot of "air blowing" noise when at WOT. I made sure I checked all the flanges and there was absolutely no leaks. It's only when I placed the two systems next to each other that i realized the pipes of the Greddy were smaller than the Tanabe.

Also, very noticeable was the the soiling "carbon build-up" of the outer tip on each side.
Old 07-17-19 | 07:19 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Originally Posted by designo
Strange you say that, because from experience, I lost performance when I installed the Greddy Supreme system.
I only later discovered that the pipes of the Greddy were smaller in diameter than the Tanabe.

I also was experiencing a lot of "air blowing" noise when at WOT. I made sure I checked all the flanges and there was absolutely no leaks. It's only when I placed the two systems next to each other that i realized the pipes of the Greddy were smaller than the Tanabe.

Also, very noticeable was the the soiling "carbon build-up" of the outer tip on each side.
I noted that as well with the Greddy system when I was doing my research about currently available exhaust systems for the GS-F. I came across a pic that was a little concerning for me about the Greddy system in regards to the exhaust soot only being visible on the outer most tips, see pic below. This makes me think there is some sort of internal flaw with the Greddy Axle back system which is causing a restriction and thus lower power.

As Lobux stated, you can't "see" a restriction on the stock axle back, and if most of the current axle back systems are not yielding any extra measurable power, and in some cases, actually causing you to lose power, the stock axle back maybe more than adequate! The stock system still seems to been mandrel bends and the "pinches" that you see maybe actually there to cause a venturi effect to speed up the gases (maybe, just a guess), but they must be there for a reason. All I know is that most of the time stock systems have a lot more R&D in regards to design and function than most aftermarket parts.

designo (07-18-19)
Old 07-17-19 | 10:26 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Sweeet!!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-19-19 | 12:17 PM
MasterWork
Rookie

I have the Tanabe on my 16 with factory midpipe and headers. Definitely no power loss and surely no power gain either. Love the sound of it, it brings out the V8 rumble a little bit. There is undeniably some lower rpm drone, but its more so throttle input related. On the highway you can barely even tell it has an aftermarket muffler.

Really considering the Apexi Midpipe to go along with it in the near future so would love to hear some sound clips as well.
designo (07-20-19)
Old 07-19-19 | 03:57 PM
Dukeaudio
Advanced

Originally Posted by MasterWork
I have the Tanabe on my 16 with factory midpipe and headers. Definitely no power loss and surely no power gain either. Love the sound of it, it brings out the V8 rumble a little bit. There is undeniably some lower rpm drone, but its more so throttle input related. On the highway you can barely even tell it has an aftermarket muffler.

Really considering the Apexi Midpipe to go along with it in the near future so would love to hear some sound clips as well.
I drive with Active Sound Control turned off 99% of the time. Not because its loud but because its enhanced. Is the lower rpm drone similar to ASC when switched on?
designo (07-20-19)
Old 07-20-19 | 12:51 AM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MasterWork

I've heard Tanabe axle back systems with Apexi mid Pipes, and I can tell you.... stick to your setup!
Mid pipes add rasp.

Save up big time and get the Novel headers, your car will sound exotically orgasmic

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
I drive with Active Sound Control turned off 99% of the time. Not because its loud but because its enhanced. Is the lower rpm drone similar to ASC when switched on?
Not really.... ASC is artificial enhancement and very refined. Low RPM drone is basically when your coins or loose items rattle. Not a lot, but enough for you to notice is you're picky and drive in utter silence.
Old 07-20-19 | 08:15 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Have a couple Apexi GSF midpipes coming in end of August..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Quick Reply: Do Axle Back Exhaust systems make more power?