GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

All speed dynamic radar cruise control question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 07:57 PM
UZS160
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default All speed dynamic radar cruise control question

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has thought about retrofitting all speed DRCC into their 2016/2017. Not sure what exactly would be needed but I haven’t been able to find much info about what system uses what to differentiate between all speed and high speed DRCC. I don’t have a GSF yet, I was planning on getting a 2016 but realized they don’t have all speed DRCC.
Old 07-16-19, 11:11 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

Not sure what that is... do our 2016 models function on a particular speed only?
My 2016 has this option, I literally drive it from work to home on auto pilot.

I set the cruise speed, and the car will slow down and accelerate keeping the distance between itself and the object in front. I also have the lane departure and guidance system on so I basically don't even touch the wheel.
Old 07-17-19, 12:06 AM
UZS160
Rookie

Yeah 2016-2017 GSF only have “high speed dynamic radar cruise control” but 2018+ has “all speed dynamic radar cruise control” I drove a NX rental that had the all speed DRCC, I would be able to cruise city streets at 40-45 and if a car was in front of me, it would slow down to their speed and if the car in front of me came to a stop at a red light, the NX did too without me stepping on the brake.
Old 07-17-19, 02:11 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by UZS160
Yeah 2016-2017 GSF only have “high speed dynamic radar cruise control” but 2018+ has “all speed dynamic radar cruise control” I drove a NX rental that had the all speed DRCC, I would be able to cruise city streets at 40-45 and if a car was in front of me, it would slow down to their speed and if the car in front of me came to a stop at a red light, the NX did too without me stepping on the brake.
Well, I can confirm tat my 2016 GSF does that at those speeds.
I was cruising on auto pilot at 80 km/h ( 45mph )
Old 07-17-19, 06:28 AM
stormhamme
Rookie

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
Well, I can confirm tat my 2016 GSF does that at those speeds.
I was cruising on auto pilot at 80 km/h ( 45mph )
I believe All Speed works below 25mph, while the High Speed does not.

https://www.lexusofatlanticcity.com/...control-465950
The following 3 users liked this post by stormhamme:
1wacko (09-06-20), lobuxracer (07-17-19), mcomer (09-07-20)
Old 07-17-19, 03:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,958 Likes on 2,397 Posts

Originally Posted by stormhamme
I believe All Speed works below 25mph, while the High Speed does not.

https://www.lexusofatlanticcity.com/...control-465950
That's what I understood too. Just another way of texting and driving without ever having to look up.
Old 07-17-19, 03:44 PM
UZS160
Rookie

So to clarify, the 2016 “high speed” does not come to a complete stop when the car in front has?
Old 07-17-19, 03:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,958 Likes on 2,397 Posts

Precollision takes over and stops the car unless you've temporarily/permanently disabled it.
The following users liked this post:
designo (07-18-19)
Old 09-06-20, 06:19 PM
madmantwo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has thought about retrofitting all speed DRCC into their 2016/2017. Not sure what exactly would be needed but I haven’t been able to find much info about what system uses what to differentiate between all speed and high speed DRCC. I don’t have a GSF yet, I was planning on getting a 2016 but realized they don’t have all speed DRCC.
You ever find out if this is possible? I'm wondering the same thing
Old 09-08-20, 11:06 AM
Inertia
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is the information on the Lexus websiteAll-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control(9), which is designed to also cover speeds below 25 MPH. All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control(9) is designed to function at approximately 0 to 110 MPH. All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (9) may enable low-speed following, speed matching, stopping and acceleration/deceleration relative to a preceding vehicle.

• An all-speed following function has been added to the DRCC system.

• Using equipment such as millimeter-wave radar and a camera sensor, the system can recognize the vehicle traveling ahead and then mirror the speed of the preceding vehicle until it stops while maintaining a set distance between vehicles.

• Since the vehicle may stop while maintaining an appropriate distance to the vehicle ahead, the system may help reduce driver burden when driving in congested highway traffic.

• When there is no vehicle traveling ahead, the vehicle travels at a constant speed in accordance with the speed setting.

• By implementing the following control at all vehicle speeds, the system may help alleviate driving fatigue and supports efforts to maintain a set distance between vehicles.
https://www.lexusofatlanticcity.com/...ding%20vehicle.

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (9) is designed to function at speeds of approximately 25 to 110 MPH. However, vehicle speed must be above approximately 28 MPH to initiate Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (9) as that is the lowest set speed.
https://www.lexusofatlanticcity.com/...ruise-control/

TLDR: If you have regular highway driving both are going to be exact same thing except for when a vehicle is stopped on the freeway. I believe both will come to a complete stop however the regular cruise control needs to be re-engaged. If you live somewhere where there is a lot of traffic (i.e. CA or Texas) then All speed is better because the car will automatically stop and re-engage cruise control automatically, no user interaction.
Old 09-08-20, 12:41 PM
UZS160
Rookie

Originally Posted by madmantwo
You ever find out if this is possible? I'm wondering the same thing
Nope haven’t found a GSF for the price I wanted yet and COVID happened but I’ve been seeing prices go up and stay there though.
Old 09-08-20, 12:44 PM
UZS160
Rookie

Originally Posted by Inertia
Here is the information on the Lexus websiteAll-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control(9), which is designed to also cover speeds below 25 MPH. All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control(9) is designed to function at approximately 0 to 110 MPH. All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (9) may enable low-speed following, speed matching, stopping and acceleration/deceleration relative to a preceding vehicle.

• An all-speed following function has been added to the DRCC system.

• Using equipment such as millimeter-wave radar and a camera sensor, the system can recognize the vehicle traveling ahead and then mirror the speed of the preceding vehicle until it stops while maintaining a set distance between vehicles.

• Since the vehicle may stop while maintaining an appropriate distance to the vehicle ahead, the system may help reduce driver burden when driving in congested highway traffic.

• When there is no vehicle traveling ahead, the vehicle travels at a constant speed in accordance with the speed setting.

• By implementing the following control at all vehicle speeds, the system may help alleviate driving fatigue and supports efforts to maintain a set distance between vehicles.
https://www.lexusofatlanticcity.com/...ding%20vehicle.

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (9) is designed to function at speeds of approximately 25 to 110 MPH. However, vehicle speed must be above approximately 28 MPH to initiate Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (9) as that is the lowest set speed.
https://www.lexusofatlanticcity.com/...ruise-control/

TLDR: If you have regular highway driving both are going to be exact same thing except for when a vehicle is stopped on the freeway. I believe both will come to a complete stop however the regular cruise control needs to be re-engaged. If you live somewhere where there is a lot of traffic (i.e. CA or Texas) then All speed is better because the car will automatically stop and re-engage cruise control automatically, no user interaction.
I wonder if it’s just changing out the radar and camera for the newer version that will unlock the all speed capability
Old 09-08-20, 01:41 PM
Inertia
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I wonder if it’s just changing out the radar and camera for the newer version that will unlock the all speed capability
I kind of doubt it would be that easy, would probably need a different electronic controller/computer for dealing with the cruise control software. That's my best guess.

I wonder lets say if you happened to see a totaled 2018+ Lexus GSF with the navigation/radar/camera if that could be done.

I know for sure when I replaced my nav unit, it has a different hardware version from earlier Lexus GSF
Old 09-15-20, 07:08 AM
MAXIKEEM
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was planning on doing this on my 16, I have all the stuff needed from a 2019.
power steering module,
Cruise control module
Camera module.

All from a 2019.

Will sell to who every wants to try it out.

Originally Posted by Inertia
I kind of doubt it would be that easy, would probably need a different electronic controller/computer for dealing with the cruise control software. That's my best guess.

I wonder lets say if you happened to see a totaled 2018+ Lexus GSF with the navigation/radar/camera if that could be done.

I know for sure when I replaced my nav unit, it has a different hardware version from earlier Lexus GSF
Old 09-15-20, 08:04 AM
madmantwo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAXIKEEM
Was planning on doing this on my 16, I have all the stuff needed from a 2019.
power steering module,
Cruise control module
Camera module.

All from a 2019.

Will sell to who every wants to try it out.
Interesting, were you just planning on plugging in the new modules and seeing what happens? For a feature like dynamic CC I'd have trouble trusting it even if I got it to work

Quick Reply: All speed dynamic radar cruise control question