GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Why Lexus is not and likely will never be, a performance brand.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19 | 12:24 PM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Default Why Lexus is not and likely will never be, a performance brand.

Lexus makes its career on safe, luxury vehicles, sold to people with little interest in actual cars. Oh sure, customers, like the luxury and dependability, but try asking the average Lexus owner how many cylinders in their RX and marvel at their puzzled stare. It's an internet stereotype, but Lexus truly is simply a Toyota with better trim.

Are you angry yet? Ready to take a baseball bat to my beloved Atomic Silver GS F? Maybe pound out my sumptuous Mark Levinson speakers. You may even want to destroy the beautifully positioned and designed infotainment screen. Which is, hilariously, universally panned by retarded auto journalists.

But violence is almost never the answer. Before getting violent, try an experiment: Call your five closest Lexus dealerships and ask "Do you service F cars"? Repeat the experiment with BMW, "Do you service M cars". Ditto Mercedes, "Do you service AMG cars"? What are your results? Mine are telling: 100% (5/5) of Lexus respondents were clueless about what F cars are. 100% of BMW and Mercedes service reps knew M and AMG, respectively. About half the BMW/Mercedes folks were astounded I would even ask.

From top to bottom, Lexus dealerships are designed to pump out mass market RXs and (leased) ESs.

Still disagree? Ask yourself why my service rep literally laughed at me when I brought the F in for factory recommend 1,000 mile service. He was working off GS 350 data. Why do I still get email service reminders for a GS 350?

This low level incompetence can lead to major consequence: A flat recently put me in a very bad situation. a dealer falsely told me they had a tire in stock, because they were unfamiliar with F. Oh, I am sure it was my fault. I was reluctant to walk down the highway IN A THUNDERSTORM to get my VIN so they could fill in Lexus parts idiot boxes.

Lexus techs will, with impunity, scratch your lovely orange rotors. Why? The ES doesn't have painted rotors, be as rough as you want!

Admittedly, Toyota is forward thinking and maybe in 20 years, they can fix the top-to-bottom problems, But my next performance car will be an actual performance brand, not Lexus.
Old 08-02-19 | 12:26 PM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Default Joke of the day: Lexus a performance brand

Lexus makes its career on safe, luxury vehicles, sold to people with little interest in actual cars. Oh sure, customers, like the luxury and dependability, but try asking the average Lexus owner how many cylinders in their RX and marvel at their puzzled stare. It's an internet stereotype, but Lexus truly is simply a Toyota with better trim.

Are you angry yet? Ready to take a baseball bat to my beloved Atomic Silver GS F? Maybe pound out my sumptuous Mark Levinson speakers. You may even want to destroy the beautifully positioned and designed infotainment screen. Which is, hilariously, universally panned by retarded auto journalists.

But violence is almost never the answer. Before getting violent, try an experiment: Call your five closest Lexus dealerships and ask "Do you service F cars"? Repeat the experiment with BMW, "Do you service M cars". Ditto Mercedes, "Do you service AMG cars"? What are your results? Mine are telling: 100% (5/5) of Lexus respondents were clueless about what F cars are. 100% of BMW and Mercedes service reps knew M and AMG, respectively. About half the BMW/Mercedes folks were astounded I would even ask.

From top to bottom, Lexus dealerships are designed to pump out mass market RXs and (leased) ESs.

Still disagree? Ask yourself why my service rep literally laughed at me when I brought the F in for factory recommend 1,000 mile service. He was working off GS 350 data. Why do I still get email service reminders for a GS 350?

This low level incompetence can lead to major consequence: A flat recently put me in a very bad situation. a dealer falsely told me they had a tire in stock, because they were unfamiliar with F. Oh, I am sure it was my fault. I was reluctant to walk down the highway IN A THUNDERSTORM to get my VIN so they could fill in Lexus parts idiot boxes.

Lexus techs will, with impunity, scratch your lovely orange rotors. Why? The ES doesn't have painted rotors, be as rough as you want!

Admittedly, Toyota is forward thinking and maybe in 20 years, they can fix the top-to-bottom problems, But my next performance car will be an actual performance brand, not Lexus.
Old 08-02-19 | 12:33 PM
Hoovey689

/rant
Old 08-02-19 | 12:35 PM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Don't disagree. Now post your experiment results.
Old 08-02-19 | 12:35 PM
Flying3
Intermediate

Ummmm... OKAAAAAYY. Feel better?
Old 08-02-19 | 12:38 PM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Yes. Now post your experiment results.
Old 08-02-19 | 12:38 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

I agree, also to add the service technicians would always overfill my Lexus RCF with oil every time for an oil change. One time I even brought the my RCF to service, and the service advisor looked at me confused asked me to follow him to his manager and asked if they can service an Acura at this dealership. He had never seen an RCF before. Also I got in altercation with a different service advisor about how i cannot rotate the tires on a staggered set up. Quite comical, honestly. After a wreck of the RCF i had, instead of going back into another one, which i had the option too, I chose to just get a chevy camaro and mod the hell out of it for true performance. Oh well, I gave Lexus a shot, maybe in 20 years, they will make a true sports car, that is not $400k+.
Old 08-02-19 | 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Flying3
Ummmm... OKAAAAAYY. Feel better?

Yup just a bunch of subjective opinions because of a bad experience. But a quick look at the OP's previous posts shows a lot of negativity towards Lexus more research and test drives of M, AMG etc.. is needed before buying next time

Last edited by Hoovey689; 08-02-19 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-02-19 | 12:52 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by stevesands
Don't disagree. Now post your experiment results.
Experiment results?

This was simply a rant from a frustrating experience. It happens. It appears there are 4 Lexus dealers in the whole state of Alabama, I doubt there are as many Lexus's sold in that state vs say domestic makes. Makes more sense that someone might be misinformed. California has a larger number of F's sold, support is better. Lexus does the 5,000 and 10,000 services complimentary. The 1,000 mile check-up stopped a few years ago, despite what some literature says.

In regards to the tire incident. That's not Lexus's fault, that is the dealer's fault. These are franchises. Try another Lexus if you're unhappy with your current one

In regards to "Joke of the day: Lexus a performance brand". Lexus is not a performance brand, the sub-brand F is the performance brand.

Sorry for your bad experience, but if you don't like your GS F, then there are M, AMG, V, RS options.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 08-02-19 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-19 | 12:53 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus is about balance and sensibility. The GSF is a prime example of having high enough horsepower to have fun but have unparalleled reliability in a car having 475hp. My IS350 wasn't the fastest car but it was nimble, had great handling, and after 60k miles, not a rattle to be heard. Most of the true performance badges are leased because nobody wants to keep an M car past warranty
Old 08-02-19 | 02:09 PM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
bunch of subjective opinions
I posted objective experimental data with my subjective assessment of said data. You are free to provide an alternate subjective assessment.

because of a bad experience.
A string of bad experiences from a brand that markets exceptional service.

But a quick look at the OP's previous posts shows a lot of negativity towards Lexus
I love my GSF. It has, like all cars, some flaws.

more research
I posted research. Lexus employees are ignorant of F cars. My Acura was a vastly inferior product with superior service.

test drives of M, AMG etc.. is needed before buying next time
Test drives won't reveal service dept ignorance.
Old 08-02-19 | 02:18 PM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Experiment results?

This was simply a rant from a frustrating experience. It happens. It appears there are 4 Lexus dealers in the whole state of Alabama, I doubt there are as many Lexus's sold in that state vs say domestic makes.
Atlanta dealerships were the majority.

Try another Lexus if you're unhappy with your current one
Not understanding here. A flat in a thunderstorm necessitates a deep assessment of Yelp reviews for Lexus dealerships in two? three? four? ...states?

Old 08-02-19 | 02:21 PM
Hoovey689

Atlanta dealerships were the majority.

Not understanding here. A flat in a thunderstorm necessitates a deep assessment of Yelp reviews for Lexus dealerships in two? three? four? ...states?
Georgia from what I counted has 9 Lexus dealers.

Sorry, meant try another Lexus dealer not another model
Old 08-02-19 | 03:33 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

I agree with this part. Recently took my car to get TSB pads. When I got home to check the brakes out of curiosity, I noticed all 4 rotors have damages - deep scratches and chips with some scars. I'm sure they weren't using the proper tools to remove the pads or push back the pistons. And the typical ES drivers probably won't even notice anything, as long as their car brakes.

Free pads cost me 4 rotors, I guess it turned out to be a bad deal.
Old 08-02-19 | 03:42 PM
Hoovey689

I posted objective experimental data with my subjective assessment of said data. You are free to provide an alternate subjective assessment.

A string of bad experiences from a brand that markets exceptional service.

I love my GSF. It has, like all cars, some flaws.

I posted research. Lexus employees are ignorant of F cars. My Acura was a vastly inferior product with superior service.

Test drives won't reveal service dept ignorance.
Okay so to sum up, you like your GS F, you don't like Lexus service departments. That's all we needed, the thread title is misleading.

Why Lexus is not and likely will never be, a performance brand.
As mentioned before, Lexus is not a performance brand. The F is the performance sub-brand.

Quick Reply: Why Lexus is not and likely will never be, a performance brand.