flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Yes, a good "Street" Pad.

Lou
Old 12-19-19 | 08:24 PM
ziGSF
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,

I own a 2016 GSF and my brake pads and rotors are overdue. I was wondering what you guys are paying to get your GSF's brakes changed? I live in East Bay, CA, and I'm debating if I should take it into nearby Lexus dealership or any auto shop recommendations!

Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
DanfromTX (10-06-23)
Old 12-20-19 | 03:05 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by ziGSF
Hi All,

I own a 2016 GSF and my brake pads and rotors are overdue. I was wondering what you guys are paying to get your GSF's brakes changed? I live in East Bay, CA, and I'm debating if I should take it into nearby Lexus dealership or any auto shop recommendations!

Thanks in advance.
We can sell you better replacement brake pads from Toms Racing. As for brake rotors we can do a Stoptech rotor setup.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-20-19 | 05:06 PM
Jasoneo5
Instructor

What are you guys doing for the wear sensors? Purchased a set from rock auto which are flashing the brake wear indicator worse than my worn OEM's. Is there a re-set procedure that I missed?
Old 12-22-19 | 09:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No reset. It's just a wire, so if you still have a wear indicator you don't have continuity on one or more of the sensors. I didn't like the quality of the Rock sensors, so I rewired mine with the OEM connectors. The Rock Auto connectors are pretty sketchy IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
DanfromTX (10-06-23)
Old 12-24-19 | 11:01 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Brake pads are subjective, it really depends on what you are looking for.
There are a lot of brands out there that are cheaper but most GSF guys complain about the dust and the squeak

Crowd favorite for street driving is the Project Mu type NS.
I went with the type PS on my GSF for a little more performance but yet no sound and very little dust.
Tom's racing performer pads are also a good option.

If you don't want a noisy and dusty brake pad set up, make sure you don't get race pads. Unless of course you don't mind it and do track your car.

I also don't recommend resurfacing rotors, there are cheaper yet good enough aftermarket rotors like Stoptech/Centric that is 1/4 the price of the OEM.

Old 01-02-20 | 09:00 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gsfmike
Anyone else have a squeaking problem with their gsf brakes? The tech said my pads were good. Kind of embarrassing stopping at a red light and it always squeaks.
- Do a hard stop from 50MPH (without engaging ABS or coming to a fully stop) to about 5MPH once or twice
-Pressure wash the brake dust out through the wheels

-You'll probably need to wear the brakes in evenly maybe once every 700 miles. If the problem persists, you can take the brakes apart, grab a wire brush, some brake cleaner and get to work removing the excess dust.
Old 01-03-20 | 06:53 AM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Tom's brake pads. I have them for 6 months now in Toronto. No brake dust, great stopping powers, and works well even in the snow.
Old 01-03-20 | 05:44 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Project Mu Type NS. Much better than the OEM Brembos in terms of dust and noise. With 4400lbs of heft minus the driver it seems the bite isn’t much different. They get much better as they warm up.
Old 01-04-20 | 06:57 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

If anybody would like a great read on brakes click here :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...then-some.html
Old 01-04-20 | 06:58 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Generally speaking I recommend any sort of European brake pad material such as Textar Ferodo Pagid Jurid if applicable to this vehicle
Old 01-05-20 | 08:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Moisture
Generally speaking I recommend any sort of European brake pad material such as Textar Ferodo Pagid Jurid if applicable to this vehicle
Why? Jurid is OEM according to the stamps on the backing plates. I run different pads from a wide range of manufacturers on different applications, and have run Ferodo pads on my race bikes. However, there isn't any magic to brake pads as long as they suit your application.
Old 01-06-20 | 03:35 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Why? Jurid is OEM according to the stamps on the backing plates. I run different pads from a wide range of manufacturers on different applications, and have run Ferodo pads on my race bikes. However, there isn't any magic to brake pads as long as they suit your application.
Because these dusty european brake pads "sacrifice" the pad and uses these special abrasives to effectively sand off deposits from your rotors everytime you brake. It sort ofmassages the rotors and gently conditions them unlike the pads you will find on many casual commuter cars with those basic dustless pads. The japanese hate brake dust with a passion and use very expensive friction modifiers to prevent it so unless you do a light bedding procedure you run the risk of uneven deposits and reduced braking performance.

Basically speaking - whether you are a real spirited driver or barely warm up your brakes at all during your regular drive these European brake pads are much better for the overall health of your rotors which results in overall better braking performance without needing to worry about occasionally "bedding" your pad into the rotor to help it wear evenly and restore full braking performance.

Last edited by Moisture; 01-06-20 at 03:40 AM.
Old 01-06-20 | 07:45 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^What is the source of for your statements Rotor Massage

Lou
Old 01-06-20 | 10:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Moisture
Because these dusty european brake pads "sacrifice" the pad and uses these special abrasives to effectively sand off deposits from your rotors everytime you brake. It sort ofmassages the rotors and gently conditions them unlike the pads you will find on many casual commuter cars with those basic dustless pads. The japanese hate brake dust with a passion and use very expensive friction modifiers to prevent it so unless you do a light bedding procedure you run the risk of uneven deposits and reduced braking performance.

Basically speaking - whether you are a real spirited driver or barely warm up your brakes at all during your regular drive these European brake pads are much better for the overall health of your rotors which results in overall better braking performance without needing to worry about occasionally "bedding" your pad into the rotor to help it wear evenly and restore full braking performance.
This does not reflect my experience with Project Mu at all. I'd say Project Mu HC+800 feel, dust, and wear identically to Carbotech XP12 on the street (I have run both on my IS F to fully worn out). Haven't tracked the HC+800 so I won't comment on their track abilities, but they've been indistinguishable on the street. Not sure where you got the idea the Japanese hate brake dust because the OEM pads on both the IS F and GS F dust immensely compared to many other options out there, and Lexus/Toyota have a world of options when they choose their OEM pads.

Quick Reply: Best brakes for GSF