GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Engine temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19 | 03:39 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Where did you find these numbers? They're pretty cool for normal operation.
Scangauge. That lower temp is when the needle first touches the center. The water then seems to fluctuate as the thermostat opens/closes around 185F. The oil goes on up to at least 190F while still in the middle. I assume that is pan temp.---If not I'd be concerned the oil temp was too low as well.
Old 10-03-19 | 06:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Teutonic
Scangauge. That lower temp is when the needle first touches the center. The water then seems to fluctuate as the thermostat opens/closes around 185F. The oil goes on up to at least 190F while still in the middle. I assume that is pan temp.---If not I'd be concerned the oil temp was too low as well.
I'll have to do some data logging with Techstream and see what the wife's car is doing. I am really surprised the oil temperature is intended to stay so low. Normally it runs hot enough to boil water because you need to boil off the condensation from start up. Might also be a function of the sensor location. I doubt it's a pan temperature, probably the main feed going to the filter like the IS F, but it's reporting to the ECM where the IS F does not. The IS F ECM is completely unaware of the engine oil temperature.
Old 10-04-19 | 09:25 AM
hoodrat21
Driver School Candidate

yeah you're right about that..I wish my mine runs cooler too like yours LOL
my cars temp during summer and winter is the same always both stay on middle.
Originally Posted by designo
That would not make sense in my personal opinion.

If the thermostat remained open all the time, there would not be enough time for the coolant to cool down in the radiator. Hence, I would assume engine would run even hotter, especially in traffic.

I am almost certain our engines run richer Air/Fuel ratios.
My 2009 GS460 on the dyno showed A/F ratios of 10:1 consistently and power output was rated at 322hp compared to US model which were rated at 342hp.

Just my 0.02