Oil Change - Synthetic/ Full Synthetic/ Conv

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-20, 11:51 PM
Asandhu92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil Change - Synthetic/ Full Synthetic/ Conv

Hi guys,

What engine oil are we using for the GSF; Synthetic, Full synthetic, Conventional?

Time for my 1st oil change in my 2018; what brands of oil & filters have been working well for you guys?

Owners Manual.
https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...f/OM30G34U.pdf

Page 519.GS F

*: The engine oil capacity is a reference quantity to be used when changing the engine oil. Warm up and turn off the engine, wait more than 5 minutes, and check the oil level on the dipstick.

Outside temperature

With filter Without filter

9.3 qt. (8.8 L, 7.7 Imp.qt.)
8.3 qt. (7.9 L, 7.0 Imp.qt.)

Vehicle specifications

“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Lexus vehicle. Use Lexus approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.

Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil

Recommended viscosity: SAE 5W-30

SAE 5W-30 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good start- ing in cold weather.

If SAE 5W-30 is not available, SAE 10W-30 oil may be used. However, it should be replaced with SAE 5W- 30 at the next oil change.

Oil viscosity (5W-30 is explained here as an example):
  • The 5W in 5W-30 indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold

startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of

the engine in cold weather.
  • The 30 in 5W-30 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the

oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

How to read oil container label:

The International Lubricant Specifi- cation Advisory Committee (ILSAC) Certification Mark is added to some oil containers to help you select the oil you should use.

Last edited by Asandhu92; 01-13-20 at 11:52 PM. Reason: removed pics
Old 01-14-20, 01:14 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Full synthetic, I use Mobil 1 and the OEM filter, but any brand filter should work fine too.
Old 01-14-20, 10:38 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...o-you-use.html

Lou
Old 01-14-20, 04:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,957 Likes on 2,396 Posts

This:
http://renewablelube.com/store/motor...product_id=140

If you're looking for something easier to find and more affordable, this oil outperformed Renewable 5w-30:
Originally Posted by 540RAT Motor Oil Engineering Test Data Blog
4. 5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, dexos 1 – Gen 2, API SN “Plus”, synthetic (green bottle) = 133,125 psi
This oil was tested again in late 2019 for two reasons:
1. It became available with the API SN “Plus” certification, so there was an interest in seeing if there were any changes in its performance.
2. This oil was purchased at Walmart. And that was significant because it was so shockingly cheap at Walmart, compared to mainstream Auto Parts Stores, that there were concerns that Walmart might be selling counterfeit oil. Here’s why:
This oil was purchased at Walmart in late 2019, where the price was about $6.00 per quart bottle, and about $20.00 per 5 quart jug. At the same time, a few miles away, this oil’s price at Pep Boys Auto Parts Store was about $9.00 per quart, and about $35.00 per 5 quart jug. So, there was a need to find out if this oil being sold so cheap at Walmart was legitimate or not. Sure, you could say that Walmart makes such large purchases that it gets a break on price. But then, you could say the same thing about Pep Boys Auto Parts chain stores. But, the proof was in the pudding as they say. And as you can see by the psi value and ranking position above, this is the best performing 5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, that I’ve ever tested. So, Walmart gets a clean bill of health. They are selling legitimate QSUD, and there is nothing to be concerned about. Now, we would have a hard time justifying buying this oil anywhere besides Walmart.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category.
However, I went on to also test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, any hotter and thinner oil is expected to experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. And this oil did have a 13% drop in capability. However, even at that reduced value down to 115,764 psi, this much hotter and thinner oil was in the INCREDIBLE Wear Protection Category.
I also tested this oil to find out its onset of thermal breakdown, which was 275*F.
The only reason I continue to use Renewable Lubricants is because it maintains its load capacity better:
Originally Posted by 540RAT Motor Oil Engineering Test Data Blog
5. 5W30 Renewable Lubricants, Super High Performance Passenger Vehicle, Bio-SynXtra, motor oil = 130,436 psi
This patented biobased motor oil uses agricultural vegetable oil base stock, and is biodegradable. It claims to provide optimum performance in newer High Output Turbocharged and Supercharged “GASOLINE” engines. It also claims to have been formulated with the latest additive package components added to that base stock. It has no Motor Oil Industry certifications, but claims the formula passed the tests required for API SN. And it claims superior wear protection and high temperature stability, both of which proved to be true in my Engineering tests. In addition, it also claims to have a very high Viscosity Index value, which helps against fuel dilution concerns. The higher the Viscosity Index value, the less the oil’s viscosity is reduced as it heats up.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested Summer 2018.

The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category.

I also went on to test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, any hotter and thinner oil is expected to experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. This oil had only an extremely small 0.7% drop in capability. Even at that elevated temperature, it produced 129,486 psi, which still kept this much hotter oil in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category.

I also tested this oil for its onset of thermal breakdown point, which was 275*F.

This was the first biobased motor oil I ever tested. And its performance was EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE. These results probably surprise a lot of people, since this oil wasn’t even made from petroleum base stock. So it appears, there could be a very bright future for biobased motor oil, if they are formulated well.

And the test data produced by this biobased oil, further backs up what I have said about a motor oil’s “base stock” NOT being all that critical, it is the “additive package” that IS critical.
You would not be making a mistake running either of these oils. If you want to know what tops the list, Amsoil Signature Series has the highest load capacity tested. Many names you would think should be at or near the top are not.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-14-20 at 04:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dre01SS (01-15-20)
Old 01-15-20, 12:28 PM
shu5892001
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe the dealer oil is conventional for the RCF GSF and LC500
Old 01-15-20, 04:59 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shu5892001
Yes, that’s what they use.
Old 01-15-20, 09:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The "dealer" oil is whatever they buy in bulk. It could be anything, but it is for sure something inexpensive. Many have reported getting a 5w-20 fill in their engines because that's what the dealer buys in bulk.
Old 01-16-20, 10:52 AM
shu5892001
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The "dealer" oil is whatever they buy in bulk. It could be anything, but it is for sure something inexpensive. Many have reported getting a 5w-20 fill in their engines because that's what the dealer buys in bulk.
My dealer technician actually brought me back to the shop sometime to watch him do work. The dealership I go to, (Don Valley North Lexus in Markham, Ontario) they have different tubes running in the shop which pumps out different grades of bulk oil. I am not sure what variety of oils it has, but he explicitly told me most Lexus models calls synthetic except for RC-F, GS-F and the LC500, which calls for conventional 5w30.
Old 01-16-20, 06:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

My dealer technician actually brought me back to the shop sometime to watch him do work. The dealership I go to, (Don Valley North Lexus in Markham, Ontario) they have different tubes running in the shop which pumps out different grades of bulk oil. I am not sure what variety of oils it has, but he explicitly told me most Lexus models calls synthetic except for RC-F, GS-F and the LC500, which calls for conventional 5w30.
Ask him where this is documented. I can find nothing in TIS (techinfo.toyota.com) specifying synthetic or conventional oils for anything. The LFA requires Mobil 1 specifically. It's the only Lexus with a specific recommendation other than weight.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-16-20 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-17-20, 05:22 AM
hoodrat21
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm using AMSOIL signature series 5W-30
Old 01-18-20, 08:23 PM
Crafty408
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am interested in which oil type is recommended, I am almost due to my first oil change. I was planning on buying Valvoline full-syn.
Old 01-19-20, 01:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Crafty408
I am interested in which oil type is recommended, I am almost due to my first oil change. I was planning on buying Valvoline full-syn.
5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, dexos 1 – Gen 2, API SN “Plus”, synthetic (green bottle) = 133,125 psi
This is the cheapest option with the highest load capacity.
Old 01-26-20, 10:23 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 on the GSF. I use Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 on my wife's RX330.

Definitely go synthetic over dinosaur oil. Take your pick of either one.
Old 02-03-20, 08:35 AM
gsfdream
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I use Pennzoil Platinum since i can get it at Walmart for cheap.
Im not a fan of Mobil 1 at high temps its durability drops off significantly.
and i do my oil changes now at 4k intervals with oem filter.
Old 02-03-20, 09:08 AM
Onsit
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

For a daily driver, I was going to go with what I use in my I300. I do not intend to track my GS-F (maybe some auto-x, but that is much more focused on suspension wear than engine wear). Which granted I have not done any UOA on - are highly regarded on bob's oil forum.
  • German Castrol 0w40 (this really acts like a 5w30 read up on it)
  • Penzoil Platinum
  • Quaker State Ultimate Durability
  • Motul... I forget which one, but AMAZING results from UOA on my old 20g Turbo WRX.
Mobile 1 I personally never had a good UOA result on my Subaru, IS300. There are better oils for the money.

Quick Reply: Oil Change - Synthetic/ Full Synthetic/ Conv