GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Factory Carbon Front Lip

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 08:40 PM
vtecpwr
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by embassured
When driving around in past rides, the things that would haunt me included turbo failure, air suspension replacement, 1 of 2 batteries dying, creaks, rattles, etc.. It's pretty cool the only thing that concerns me (like everyone else on this thread) is what the hell do you do once the Carbon Lip takes a beating!

Based on the small numbers produced and a desired ROI, I can't imagine anyone tooling a replacement lip (even non carbon) but I have my fingers crossed. I was hoping the local shop could sand and reclear but if that's not feasible (and surprised it's not) then some gloss black wrap may have to do the trick. I can tell you that there is about zero chance I'll spend anything north of $200 to fix. For those that still have pristine examples, I hope you get it clear wrapped as soon as possible (I should have).

Best,
Eric

Seems like that's my biggest concern too. I'm heading to a one more body shop next week that said they could probably fix it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It'll definitely get wrapped if they can.
Old 01-30-20, 08:03 PM
GSFast
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend the whole front clear bra. It will be well worth it. Kits will include the piece to protect that ridiculously expensive carbon piece.
Old 01-30-20, 08:29 PM
vtecpwr
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSFast
I highly recommend the whole front clear bra. It will be well worth it. Kits will include the piece to protect that ridiculously expensive carbon piece.

That's my plan after mine is fixed.
Old 03-23-20, 06:05 PM
vtecpwr
Rookie

Finally got the carbon painted. Here's the before picture.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/77781443@N07/, on Flickr

Here's the after pic.

​​​​​​
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/77781443@N07/, on Flickr

It only cost $150. It came out perfect!
Old 03-23-20, 07:32 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

OP - that does look great, especially for the price.

Who ended up doing the work for you? What was their process ?

This kind of gives me hope to walking away from all GSF's with chewed up front lips.
Old 03-23-20, 07:58 PM
vtecpwr
Rookie

Originally Posted by IMAGINTHAT
OP - that does look great, especially for the price.

Who ended up doing the work for you? What was their process ?

This kind of gives me hope to walking away from all GSF's with chewed up front lips.

Here's the place that did it. They just sanded it down and re-cleared it. I didn't think that they could do it, but I couldn't be happier. I was worried about the lip also. Especially when I saw the price for a new one.

​​​​​​http://www.rnrauto.com/
Old 03-23-20, 11:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

You guys need to look at some carbon fiber bicycle frame repairs and get over your fear of refinishing carbon parts. No magic. Nothing special, especially if you're in a body shop with a decent paint booth. I'd do the prep myself and hand it to them to shoot. Stupid simple stuff and it's not even structural like a bike frame.
The following users liked this post:
MasterWork (03-27-20)
Old 03-24-20, 09:09 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I have a carbon MTB and scratches are very common, to be honest its not that hard to fix carbon fiber The scratches and minor chips can be sanded out and touch up with epoxy/resin would do the trick.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You guys need to look at some carbon fiber bicycle frame repairs and get over your fear of refinishing carbon parts. No magic. Nothing special, especially if you're in a body shop with a decent paint booth. I'd do the prep myself and hand it to them to shoot. Stupid simple stuff and it's not even structural like a bike frame.
Old 03-24-20, 05:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
I have a carbon MTB and scratches are very common, to be honest its not that hard to fix carbon fiber The scratches and minor chips can be sanded out and touch up with epoxy/resin would do the trick.
For non-structural parts like these, any decent clear coat will suffice. I agree if it were structural, an epoxy would be ideal, but the factory just takes a sheet of pre-preg, forms it, autoclaves it, and shoots it with clear.

I am also wondering where you guys are driving. The wife has over 65k miles on her car now, and there's hardly a scratch of any kind on the nose of the car save the one where I scraped a curb by accident. The carbon piece still looks new.
Old 03-24-20, 07:25 PM
vtecpwr
Rookie

I'm definitely do not have the patience to do any of that myself. That's why I left it too the experts. I've watched the videos, and I'm sure I'd just mess something up. I wanted it perfect. I just dropped the car off at the clear bra place so I won't have to worry about getting chips anymore.
Old 03-24-20, 07:26 PM
vtecpwr
Rookie

For non-structural parts like these, any decent clear coat will suffice. I agree if it were structural, an epoxy would be ideal, but the factory just takes a sheet of pre-preg, forms it, autoclaves it, and shoots it with clear.

I am also wondering where you guys are driving. The wife has over 65k miles on her car now, and there's hardly a scratch of any kind on the nose of the car save the one where I scraped a curb by accident. The carbon piece still looks new.

I was wondering where the previous owner drove it also. It only had 10k miles on it and it was trashed!
Old 03-24-20, 09:31 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by vtecpwr
I was wondering where the previous owner drove it also. It only had 10k miles on it and it was trashed!
Probably tailgates, that increases rock chips. Maybe gravel or dirt roads.
Old 03-25-20, 04:35 PM
vtecpwr
Rookie

Originally Posted by peasodos
Probably tailgates, that increases rock chips. Maybe gravel or dirt roads.
That's what I was thinking, but it just seemed like a lot for the miles on the car.
Old 03-26-20, 08:03 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Good thread guys and like lobuxracer asked, where the heck are you guys driving for I am at 33K and have one small chip and I drive the **** out to my car?

Again, good info when/if the time comes and the one before-and-after pic looks really good.
Old 03-26-20, 09:21 PM
vtecpwr
Rookie

Originally Posted by mr2dave
Good thread guys and like lobuxracer asked, where the heck are you guys driving for I am at 33K and have one small chip and I drive the **** out to my car?

Again, good info when/if the time comes and the one before-and-after pic looks really good.

I wondered where the previous owner of mine drove it also. I'm just glad it's fixed now. It's getting clear bra installed now.

I'm glad I could steer people in the right direction instead of buying a new one. I almost pulled the trigger on a used one, but glad I didn't now.

Quick Reply: Factory Carbon Front Lip