GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Best Exhaust Choices for New to Me 16' GS-F

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 12:22 AM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best Exhaust Choices for New to Me 16' GS-F

Hi all, it's literally been years! Anyway, after my PERFECT 2010 IS F got destroyed in a roll over crash (not me, the guy who hit me from behind), I tooled around in a very utilitarian IS350 thinking it was like 3/4 of an IS F, as most of you know, it just isn't. (nothing wrong with it, but it's not a baby f). Anyway Just traded for a 16' GS F (NOW that's an "F"), not as hardcore but an "F" non the less AND WAAAY nicer in the interior materials and creature comforts. Previous owner did a bunch of mods, happy with all, EXCEPT they unfortunately went with the Muffler Delete and Cat delete mid-pipe from PPE. It sounds AWESOME and is sick loud. Unfortunately, it also drones like a ***** at 1600-2500 rpm And YOU CANT TURN THE VOLUME DOWN! (although ECO helps a bit, but not on a cold start.)

I had a great solution on my IS F that I was EXTREMELY Pleased with. PPE coated EL Headers, Stock Mid, HKS SSM exhaust axle back. I know its impossible to reproduce that but was going to THAT quality of sound. I know I'll need EL headers (Novel or PPE), but as for the rest, I'm at a loss. (Full Novel valved, GT Haus GTC, Toms' Ti Etc.) It took a mishmash to get it just right the last time and I went through four exhausts in the process, Stock ,Joe Z, ISS QES, and HKS SSM (only had headers for the last two). So I'm kindly soliciting your assistance. I've Already listened to all the After market exhausts I can find and listed the three that drew my attention the most. My goals are I want it to sound spectacular, be able to be tame when I want or need it to be (throttle control is fine by me, that's how the SSM worked) and most importantly NO MORE DRONE, none, it gives my kids headaches in the back seat (had it also in my IS F UNTIL I got the HKS, this current PPE Drones like my old ISS QES but also sounds just as good. Budget is healthy enough to consider options listed (I Love buying a USED Car), as for the rest, i hope to hear your feed back.

Here's a link to what I believed the perfect exhaust to be for a DOHC 5.0 VTEC V-8 circa 2016ish. (Hopefully you hear sophistication not just a ton of loud racket).

Thanks!

Old 01-27-20, 06:27 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 697 Likes on 612 Posts

Hey,

I would think PPE equal length headers and a Toms Racing axle back should replicate a very close sound..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 01-27-20, 06:42 AM
IredSF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Hey,

I would think PPE equal length headers and a Toms Racing axle back should replicate a very close sound..

-Josh
josh, thanks for the reply!
had similar thoughts.
Do you suggest running the stock midpipe in addition to the rest? I know there is a big price difference between the toms Ti and SS. Anyone heard the SS version to compare? I myself have only heard the Ti Version. Sounded Fantastic IMHO.
Old 01-27-20, 07:41 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,404 Likes on 645 Posts

If youre interested, I would say Facebook might be a better option for hearing exhaust combo's. I'd say if you went with EL headers and our RR Racing Valvetronic Catback you'll be pretty well off in closeness of tone and comparison.

-Sean
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 01-27-20, 09:55 AM
IredSF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IredSF
josh, thanks for the reply!
had similar thoughts.
Do you suggest running the stock midpipe in addition to the rest? I know there is a big price difference between the toms Ti and SS. Anyone heard the SS version to compare? I myself have only heard the Ti Version. Sounded Fantastic IMHO.

Just for comparison, this is how my GS F sounds right now (excuse my daughters camera work she just got her braces off and could obviously car less about recording a car).

Old 01-27-20, 03:11 PM
skhmund
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just for comparison, this is how my GS F sounds right now (excuse my daughters camera work she just got her braces off and could obviously car less about recording a car).

GS F PPE Muffler Delete
correct me if I’m wrong, your setup is PPE Midpipe with muffler delete? This sounds really good.
Old 01-27-20, 03:51 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skhmund
correct me if I’m wrong, your setup is PPE Midpipe with muffler delete? This sounds really good.
yes resonated cat delete PPE mid, PPE muffler delete axle back
Old 01-27-20, 03:54 PM
skhmund
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes resonated cat delete PPE mid, PPE muffler delete axle back
how much did this cost?
Old 01-27-20, 03:55 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skhmund
how much did this cost?
the car came this way but I think it’s under $2400
Old 01-27-20, 04:25 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

the car came this way but I think it’s under $2400
I have a substantive update. Took the car to my garage to check for leaks and whatnot. They put it on a stand and found that the middle tunnel brace was bent upwards causing the brace to rub against the exhaust (car has swift lowering springs). Anyway, they dropped the brace bent it back and shimmed and reinstalled
it in place, no rub!

Now drone is much less than my old ISS QES, cabin vibration due to the rub is GONE. The exhaust is HELLA loud, I mean I drowned out a Mustang GT 350 in loud mode for comparison.
So that $46 dollar fix at the garage was pretty amazing actually.

having second thoughts... sounds amazing...livable after the fix.... but... still hella loud at WOT.

ideas gents?
Old 01-27-20, 06:47 PM
ac253189
Driver

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a substantive update. Took the car to my garage to check for leaks and whatnot. They put it on a stand and found that the middle tunnel brace was bent upwards causing the brace to rub against the exhaust (car has swift lowering springs). Anyway, they dropped the brace bent it back and shimmed and reinstalled
it in place, no rub!

Now drone is much less than my old ISS QES, cabin vibration due to the rub is GONE. The exhaust is HELLA loud, I mean I drowned out a Mustang GT 350 in loud mode for comparison.
So that $46 dollar fix at the garage was pretty amazing actually.

having second thoughts... sounds amazing...livable after the fix.... but... still hella loud at WOT.

ideas gents?
Good to know. I've been experiencing some exhaust rub after installing a PPE midpipe only when I make left hand turns at certain angles.

PPE is currently developing a nonvalved exhaust option in the coming months, which may be worth the wait since you're having second thoughts. Their goal is loudness somewhere between the closed and open valves and a borlaesque sound.
Old 01-27-20, 06:56 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 697 Likes on 612 Posts

If you're going for that exotic sound PPE equal length for sure still.

Still paired with the toms axle back and keep the PPE midpipe lol!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
The following users liked this post:
ac253189 (01-28-20)
Old 01-27-20, 09:09 PM
chay2263
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Apexi mid pipe and Tom’s axleback. It’s a happy medium between no drone at cruising speeds and a nice smooth sound under load. I actually could stand for it to be a little louder at times but I think it’s nice overall
The following users liked this post:
ac253189 (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 06:48 AM
Dre01SS
Rookie

Received 143 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chay2263
I have the Apexi mid pipe and Tom’s axleback. It’s a happy medium between no drone at cruising speeds and a nice smooth sound under load. I actually could stand for it to be a little louder at times but I think it’s nice overall
+1 on setup and share the exact same sentiment 👍
Old 01-28-20, 07:52 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Sounds good. Keep it that way haha. If it's too loud, then like others suggested, leave the PPE mid pipe and get mufflers.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust Choices for New to Me 16' GS-F