GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

gsf alignment and steering ratio

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 07:30 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Default gsf alignment and steering ratio

Hi guys, was doing some research on the gsf some more and tried to look up the gsf alignment and steering ratio. Apparently the steering ratio is 13.2:1 (according to the 2016 Preliminary Product Information) and I was wondering if someone could maybe clarify if that is true?.Also, I can't find the alignment specs/ranges. Maybe someone could help me out a bit?
Old 02-14-20, 02:51 PM
Yri
Advanced

Originally Posted by XDLand
Hi guys, was doing some research on the gsf some more and tried to look up the gsf alignment and steering ratio. Apparently the steering ratio is 13.2:1 (according to the 2016 Preliminary Product Information) and I was wondering if someone could maybe clarify if that is true?.Also, I can't find the alignment specs/ranges. Maybe someone could help me out a bit?
I do think the steering ratio is 13.2:1, but as always, I don't know what the alignment specs are :P
Old 02-14-20, 03:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by XDLand
Originally Posted by Yri
I do think the steering ratio is 13.2:1, but as always, I don't know what the alignment specs are :P
What are you trying to figure out with these cars? They only have adjustments for toe from the factory, and where the actual alignment ends up is as individual as the range of production tolerances. All the information you seek is available on TIS (techinfo.toyota.com) for $15. This gives you access to everything Toyota. Lexus, and Scion since 1990 and includes access to factory training modules for all car systems. Might be easier since you seem to be in an information gathering mode with detailed technical questions.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-14-20 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-15-20, 07:13 AM
Yri
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What are you trying to figure out with these cars? They only have adjustments for toe from the factory, and where the actual alignment ends up is as individual as the range of production tolerances. All the information you seek is available on TIS (techinfo.toyota.com) for $15. This gives you access to everything Toyota. Lexus, and Scion since 1990 and includes access to factory training modules for all car systems. Might be easier since you seem to be in an information gathering mode with detailed technical questions.
Well I am trying to tune a IS F in a game to factory spec, and I was just curious to see if the GS F's alignment looks similar to the IS F's stock alignment. Thanks for the link to that website btw!
Old 02-15-20, 11:43 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

What makes you believe the game is an accurate simulation of the real thing?

I have a friend in the gaming industry and he is quite familiar with the physics engines (among other things), in conversations with him I have my doubts about the fidelity with real world.
Old 02-16-20, 07:11 AM
Yri
Advanced

What makes you believe the game is an accurate simulation of the real thing?

I have a friend in the gaming industry and he is quite familiar with the physics engines (among other things), in conversations with him I have my doubts about the fidelity with real world.
It might not be exact, but it might be close to real life.

Last edited by Yri; 02-16-20 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-22-22, 09:21 AM
OMGV8
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I've searched this website and could not find GSF alignment specs either. I lowered my car a little on CKS coilovers but the car pulls to the right even after several alignment attempts. I wanted to compare my numbers against factory alignment specs next time I go for alignment. Can anyone share the GSF factory GSF alignment specs?
Old 07-22-22, 10:57 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I just got my car back from the shop after installing rear bushings on my front lower control arm.
I will get you the specs later today.
Old 07-23-22, 08:41 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Factory Service Manual specs:

Front end numbers:

Front toe:

Rear end specifications:

TBH, the ride height measurement makes no sense to me, it appears to be measuring a fixed number (difference between A and B will not change if the ride height changes, same with C and D, because B and D are the actual ground height and A & C are ground height (B & D) plus the difference between A and B & C and D. You're subtracting a relative constant from A and C. Supras were measured differently, basically, B and D were the numbers so it was simpler and varied directly with the pivot bolt height from the ground plane. To that end, guys tracking their Supras found they handled best and went fastest at the stock ride height. Lowering the suspension makes the MkIV Supra measurably slower. Something to consider when arbitrarily lowering the car and assuming it means better mechanical grip. Not necessarily.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-23-22 at 08:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
designo (07-23-22), OMGV8 (07-25-22)
Old 07-23-22, 08:56 AM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OMGV8
I've searched this website and could not find GSF alignment specs either. I lowered my car a little on CKS coilovers but the car pulls to the right even after several alignment attempts. I wanted to compare my numbers against factory alignment specs next time I go for alignment. Can anyone share the GSF factory GSF alignment specs?
You may want to check the preload on the spring or have the car corner balanced so pressure is not applied unevenly.
The following users liked this post:
OMGV8 (07-25-22)
Old 07-23-22, 09:11 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Corner weights are unlikely culprits. They have to be pretty far off to make a pull happen. Tires are the usual suspects, then caster, then toe. Step one, check tire pressures, make sure they are correct on all four corners. Step two, swap front tires left to right and vice versa. Step 3, check alignment critically, look for caster discrepancies left to right. Finally, check toe and make sure your alignment "tech" didn't toe one wheel in and one wheel out (as was shown in the RX forum a little while ago). Many alignment techs just adjust for green with no consideration for the overall settings and will definitely do stupid things like toe one wheel in and toe the other out as long as all the boxes are green.
Old 07-25-22, 06:51 AM
OMGV8
Rookie

@lobuxracer thanks for the feedback. I mainly lowered for aesthetics, but the main reason for coilovers was to increase ride comfort via dampening. And my car is now more comfortable than stock, which helps on Houston roads and with my commute. I was speaking with Matt from Figs and he mentioned I should check if the front UCAs (upper control arms) were accidentally swapped from side-to-side i.e, right side UCA installed on the LHS and the left side UCA on the RHS. I didn't think that was a possibility but I verified last night and the front UCAs are installed correctly. He was just surprised how my caster was ~+5, did not make sense how by lowering the car modestly I 'lost' so much caster. The other thing is I just don't understand how/why the car has started to pull to the right. Tire pressure is even, tires are almost new and did not have this issue prior to coilover install...I will swap front tires side to side today.

Front Toe
LHS: 0.05° | RHS: 0.05°
Front Camber
LHS: -0.45° | RHS: -0.75°
Front Caster
LHS: ° 5.2° | RHS: 5.0°

Rear Toe
LHS: -0.05° | RHS: -0.05°
Rear Camber
LHS: -0.85° | RHS: -0.85°

Old 07-25-22, 09:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

So your subframe is pretty close to square with the chassis centerline, but the side to side is not very good. Your camber imbalance is because the subframe isn't centered L/R. Rear looks a good as anyone could ever want from a factory build.

I would check all the front end bushings, and I'd also want to know if the bushings were loosened on all four points, then properly positioned to have no load at normal ride height before retightening. When the bushings are under stress at normal ride height, they act like ghost springs, they deform and cause weird numbers like you are seeing, and they wear out much faster than if they've been properly set so they are at neutral when the suspension is at normal ride height (whatever that may be, stock or otherwise). This is very clear in the factory service manual, but many shops do not do this and will tell you something ignorant like "the springs need to settle" which just underscores their incompetence.
Old 07-25-22, 09:13 AM
OMGV8
Rookie

So your subframe is pretty close to square with the chassis centerline, but the side to side is not very good. Your camber imbalance is because the subframe isn't centered L/R. Rear looks a good as anyone could ever want from a factory build.

I would check all the front end bushings, and I'd also want to know if the bushings were loosened on all four points, then properly positioned to have no load at normal ride height before retightening. When the bushings are under stress at normal ride height, they act like ghost springs, they deform and cause weird numbers like you are seeing, and they wear out much faster than if they've been properly set so they are at neutral when the suspension is at normal ride height (whatever that may be, stock or otherwise). This is very clear in the factory service manual, but many shops do not do this and will tell you something ignorant like "the springs need to settle" which just underscores their incompetence.
I had seen the exchange between you and @gsfdream many months ago and thought that was very insightful. When I mentioned this to the guy he basically shrugged and said it wasn't important. I do believe if tires are not the issue, then most likely the weirdness is coming from the bushings not being loosened and positioned to have no load at normal height before retightening. I am reading your "Suspension Torque Specs - Bushing Reset" thread now to see how it can be done.
Old 07-25-22, 09:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Check this thread for the necessary bolts and their torque specs. Bottom of first page on a PC.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-settings.html

Quick Reply: gsf alignment and steering ratio