GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Need some advice on complete brake job

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20 | 07:50 AM
myclue
Pit Crew

Default Need some advice on complete brake job

Hi clublexus,
starting this thread to seek some advice here. My 2016 gsf is currently sitting at 40,500 miles and it's almost time to do brake pads which have about 2-3mm left. I drive a lot so that will last me about a month until I trip the pad sensor probably. Rotors have a decent lip on them now, but my mechanic says it's still good for a bit. Probably another 10k miles, but will need to be swapped shortly.

So I'm asking you guys for recommendation. Looking for something similar to oem minus the all the dust. A little bit of squeal is ok. Really wanted to bring the gsf to local track this year so a set up that can also handle the heat and stresses of heavy braking. Also something that wont break the bank and is a little bit on the budget side. With the covid19 going around, my office is closed so future is a little uncertain financially.

Thanks guys and looking forward to hearing some recommendations
Old 03-23-20 | 11:20 AM
hoodrat21
Driver School Candidate

you got 40k miles from the oem brakepad? is this the first time you replacing them?..just need to ask because mine is still at 15k and the dealer recommend to change my pads and rotors..thank you
Old 03-23-20 | 12:33 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

yea was thinking the same thing, these performance brakes won't last more than 22-25k; the DIY on these are very simple; If I was you I would stick with OEM and change them myself to save some $$
Originally Posted by hoodrat21
you got 40k miles from the oem brakepad? is this the first time you replacing them?..just need to ask because mine is still at 15k and the dealer recommend to change my pads and rotors..thank you
Old 03-23-20 | 01:21 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

When I last checked mine when swapping to winter wheels, @ ~24k miles I still had 6mm of F&R pad left. Depends on your commute. I have fun in the car, but during some commutes I might only hit the brakes hard once for an exit ramp on the way into work, and maybe a few times on the way home over a 40mile round trip.
Old 03-23-20 | 01:28 PM
myclue
Pit Crew

I bought my GSF at 28k miles. So maybe the pads have been done once? I'm reading 2 sets of pads = 1 set of rotors usually.

Anyway, i did some research and I think I will be going with Project Mu PS pads for around $562 Front and Rear along with the Performance Centric Rotors at around $155 each.
Old 03-23-20 | 03:33 PM
beatlepd
Driver School Candidate

Dealer told me to get my pads/rotors replaced when I went in around 28k to check on something and the pads were at 4mm. They told me again at 30k to replace the pads and rotors when it was 3mm. I'm almost at 35k and still no brake light has turned on.

I'll be following this post as I'm sure the light will come on soon, although hardly driving these days due to COVID-19 and working from home.
Old 03-23-20 | 10:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The light comes on at 2mm to go. The factory service manual says the pads are OK to 1mm. So you can have the light on for quite a while before the pads really need to be changed.

My experience is ~20k miles on a set of front pads, 2 sets of pads to one set of front rotors. 40k miles on a set of rears and the rear rotors are worn out at the same time.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to turn the rotors. There's no reason to turn them and all you do is reduce available service life. If the rotors are scored or damaged, just replace them. They're not terribly expensive even for OEM.

Never trust your SA to be honest about brakes. Worn out Carbotech XP-12 pads from my IS F look like this:

No, there was no damage to the rotors even at this thickness AND these are track pads - the car was behaving perfectly normally on track before I removed these.
Old 03-24-20 | 06:20 AM
myclue
Pit Crew

Thanks for the insight! What pads and rotors did you swap your old ones out with?
Old 03-24-20 | 07:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by myclue
Thanks for the insight! What pads and rotors did you swap your old ones out with?
RockAuto sourced bits. It's the wife's car and daily driver stuff is just fine for her use case. My IS F has two piece rotors and Project Mu HC+800s. Totally different use cases and totally different feel/fade resistance.
Old 03-26-20 | 06:16 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

As stated, go by remaining thickness of brake pad left. SA's are motivated to generate repairs early, not all, but that's how they make money. Mileage for a set of pads is determined by the type of pad and the driver. How you drive your car is the biggest variable on how long pads will last.
Old 03-29-20 | 11:17 AM
SpdNguyen
Driver School Candidate

I went with Tom's Brake Pads and Centric Rotors. All in all, parts cost me roughly under 1k and i did the labor myself. Couldnt be happier with that combo. I dont track my car at all and the brake dust is near non existence! A lot better than the dealership quoting me 3,800 for complete job
Old 03-31-20 | 08:29 AM
myclue
Pit Crew

^^
thanks for the info!
I also got a quote from R1, one of the vendors here on CL for full set of rotors and performance pads with sensors. i will most likely give them a shot and order in the upcoming weeks. Will report back after I have them installed
The following users liked this post:
Teutonic (03-31-20)
Old 04-01-20 | 12:15 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SpdNguyen
I went with Tom's Brake Pads and Centric Rotors. All in all, parts cost me roughly under 1k and i did the labor myself. Couldnt be happier with that combo. I dont track my car at all and the brake dust is near non existence! A lot better than the dealership quoting me 3,800 for complete job
What Tom's brake pads are you and everyone else that are happy with it referring to as there are two types: Racing and Performer.
Old 04-04-20 | 09:30 AM
SpdNguyen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Autobacs
What Tom's brake pads are you and everyone else that are happy with it referring to as there are two types: Racing and Performer.
I dont remember lol i just had louie from modinjapan sent me the ones he recommended