GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Extended Warranty or no? 2016 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 11:19 AM
MRonan83
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Extended Warranty or no? 2016 Owners

Any 2016 owners that have their manufacturer warranty running out here soon looking to get an extended warranty? I feel like the GSF is well made and I thankfully haven't had issues. Just curious to see what others are thinking when that time comes? I have 5 days left...Yikes

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
RC51TOFUMA (04-02-20)
Old 04-02-20, 01:45 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MRonan83
Any 2016 owners that have their manufacturer warranty running out here soon looking to get an extended warranty? I feel like the GSF is well made and I thankfully haven't had issues. Just curious to see what others are thinking when that time comes? I have 5 days left...Yikes

Thanks!
My sentiments also. Only have 22,000 miles. No issues, but I still think the transmission downshifts funky at times from 5th to 3rd. Dealer checked it out several times and insists it's normal. Does it more so when cold. The good news is that the drivetrain warranty is longer than 4 years.

This is my third Lexus and had 3 Toyotas (still have a 1999 Land Cruiser) and never had any issues. I'd hate to lose money on an extended warranty. The GSF has the most electronics of any of my previous cars.

Thanks,
Old 04-03-20, 07:22 AM
ScatmanATL
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MRonan83

Thanks!
Thanks for posting this question, Mronan. I've been wondering this right now. Unfortunately, I didn't do enough math at the Toyota dealership where I purchased my car. When I took it to Lexus for a scheduled Nav update, they did another full inspection and told me how much warranty I have on my factory 2017. He mentioned I have 3 years still on my factory warranty (I won't hit the 70k miles or come close). However, I signed an additional Fidelty Warranty at Toyota for 6 years, but I'll only see 3 of those years due to the factory warranty still having 3 years left(and my fault for not asking enough questions, etc).

The Fidelity Warranty is able to be cancelled, and not that I can't afford my car, but an additional couple grand off my balance wouldn't hurt right now. I'm considering cancelling this because of the reliability of Lexus and the hours of research I did on this car to know that I haven't seen a "major" incident happen to a GSF (shoutout to everyone in this forum). It didn't hurt that my guy at Lexus said as long as you maintain your car at the factory dealership when you need to and nowhere else (I believe meaning other mom and pop shops, not DIY work), that he's actually seen Lexus cover items when a car is out of warranty for customers, especially if it is a higher-end replacement with lots of labor.

My Fidelity additional warranty is a Mechanical Failure Service Contract, meaning bumper to bumper minus the obvious wear and tear items (Brakes, filters, hoses, etc). Any input into continuing the Fidelity Warranty is welcomed, as I'm still 50/50 whether I should cancel it or not.
Old 04-03-20, 11:19 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I would cancel the warranty if I was you; there is always a "what if" and it might come down the line but even ISF are running as strong as they were 10 years ago might give us what to expect. I have couple of friends with 2013 GS and no issues on their cars as well. Ultimately it comes to your piece of mind; I usually don't get the warranty as I am sort of DIY & I hardly had to use the warranty on most lexus I have owned. save some money refinance to better rate.

Originally Posted by ScatmanATL
Thanks for posting this question, Mronan. I've been wondering this right now. Unfortunately, I didn't do enough math at the Toyota dealership where I purchased my car. When I took it to Lexus for a scheduled Nav update, they did another full inspection and told me how much warranty I have on my factory 2017. He mentioned I have 3 years still on my factory warranty (I won't hit the 70k miles or come close). However, I signed an additional Fidelty Warranty at Toyota for 6 years, but I'll only see 3 of those years due to the factory warranty still having 3 years left(and my fault for not asking enough questions, etc).

The Fidelity Warranty is able to be cancelled, and not that I can't afford my car, but an additional couple grand off my balance wouldn't hurt right now. I'm considering cancelling this because of the reliability of Lexus and the hours of research I did on this car to know that I haven't seen a "major" incident happen to a GSF (shoutout to everyone in this forum). It didn't hurt that my guy at Lexus said as long as you maintain your car at the factory dealership when you need to and nowhere else (I believe meaning other mom and pop shops, not DIY work), that he's actually seen Lexus cover items when a car is out of warranty for customers, especially if it is a higher-end replacement with lots of labor.

My Fidelity additional warranty is a Mechanical Failure Service Contract, meaning bumper to bumper minus the obvious wear and tear items (Brakes, filters, hoses, etc). Any input into continuing the Fidelity Warranty is welcomed, as I'm still 50/50 whether I should cancel it or not.
The following users liked this post:
ScatmanATL (04-03-20)
Old 04-03-20, 03:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
I would cancel the warranty if I was you; there is always a "what if" and it might come down the line but even ISF are running as strong as they were 10 years ago might give us what to expect. I have couple of friends with 2013 GS and no issues on their cars as well. Ultimately it comes to your piece of mind; I usually don't get the warranty as I am sort of DIY & I hardly had to use the warranty on most lexus I have owned. save some money refinance to better rate.
This is me for the most part. I DIY everything except tires, alignment, and body work. Anything else is fair game.

I bought the warranty, but got the best discount I could find on the Lexus sponsored (not dealership) warranty. Basically the same bumper to bumper coverage you have with the initial factory warranty. I did this because we keep cars a long time, drive them a lot, and because it's the wife's car, downtime isn't a good option. I did NOT do this for my IS F, and I haven't had any unexpected failures a warranty would have covered with my IS F. Because I DIY, there's a very low value in a warranty for me, but in the case of the wife's car it makes a whole lot more sense because she's carting the kids around and needs her car to be available. I have two cars available to me most of the time, so it's not an imperative to have my IS F working as long as my Supra is running.
Old 04-03-20, 11:49 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

No.

I also found out you need at least 10 characters to make a post.