GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

AEM Cold Air Intake Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 12:11 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I am not sure how an open flap would make you lose low end power.
Originally Posted by designo
Question:

Why was there a secondary air intake flap in the first place?
Isn't that part of limiting intake for the Variable Valve Timing System?

If the air intake is disrupted by removing the flap, doesn't that affect the way the engine works?

I remember after fitting my Takeda system, the mechanic forgot to close the secondary flap before installing the filter element, and that causes the flap to remain stuck open as it was hitting the filter element head. That made the car sound great at the low end, but I definitely lost low-end power.
Old 05-04-20, 11:57 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
You are correct in that you are not sure. Neither am I but I am merely speaking from experience.
I went back to the shop, they closed the flap before installing the cone element, and the car is now fine.

Last edited by designo; 05-05-20 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-05-20, 03:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

The intake flap has nothing to do with VVT. It is primarily for noise abatement, but IS F owners have found modifying it to stay open all the time does reduce performance at the drag strip. It's better the way it comes from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
designo (05-05-20)
Old 05-05-20, 11:35 PM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The intake flap has nothing to do with VVT. It is primarily for noise abatement, but IS F owners have found modifying it to stay open all the time does reduce performance at the drag strip. It's better the way it comes from the factory.
Fair enough, still curious as to why the loss of power?
Anyone here knowledgable enough to explain?
Old 05-06-20, 07:44 AM
tudank
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

it does. I’ve dynoed with the flap disabled and active and you do lose hp and torque on the low end
designo (05-06-20)
Old 05-06-20, 01:23 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

that's amazing, flap open on the low end would attribute to more air the engine more air=more hp. did you dyne the car with any of the intakes by any chance.
Originally Posted by tudank
it does. I’ve dynoed with the flap disabled and active and you do lose hp and torque on the low end
designo (05-06-20)
Old 05-06-20, 02:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by designo
Fair enough, still curious as to why the loss of power?
Anyone here knowledgable enough to explain?
This is what Lexus says:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Intake Air Control System.pdf (78.4 KB, 135 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
designo (05-06-20), footballpl (05-28-21)
Old 05-06-20, 02:58 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 304 Likes on 209 Posts

It could be that the tune is set up to maximize the low end torque the engine makes in the lower rpms and by increasing airflow without adjusting the tune, you may actually lose power?

Steve
designo (05-06-20)
Old 05-06-20, 03:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

It's really not clear why you lose power with the flap stuck open. It might be interesting to datalog intake temperature with the flap open and the flap closed. I have a suspicion with the flap open all the time there's more hot air getting into the engine just because the flap is not in a place where you would expect to find cold air, but the scoop that's always open is fairly likely to have cold air compared to the engine compartment ambient temperature. I also suspect it's a power loss that's brief, not sustained, which is why it definitely shows up on a dyno or a drag race, but I really doubt leaving the flap open would be a problem if the car is moving at any speed over 15 mph.

Given that all the aftermarket intakes do not do anything like this, whatever the difference is, it can't be dramatic.
designo (05-06-20)
Old 05-06-20, 06:46 PM
Mazderati
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Intake tuning is a thing. Diameter of intake runners, shape of intake runners, length of intake runners. Biggest and most wide open is not always best.
designo (05-06-20)
Old 05-06-20, 07:01 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

good point, seems like folks from RR racing are right, temperature is a factor in the working on flap. We had the same setup in the ISF too?. I mean its the same design since 2008 when ISF came out which carried over in RCF/GSF possibly LC too. Lexus engineers won't notice to route the colder air to the Flap too so the internal motor temperature do not make you lose few HP.

It's really not clear why you lose power with the flap stuck open. It might be interesting to datalog intake temperature with the flap open and the flap closed. I have a suspicion with the flap open all the time there's more hot air getting into the engine just because the flap is not in a place where you would expect to find cold air, but the scoop that's always open is fairly likely to have cold air compared to the engine compartment ambient temperature. I also suspect it's a power loss that's brief, not sustained, which is why it definitely shows up on a dyno or a drag race, but I really doubt leaving the flap open would be a problem if the car is moving at any speed over 15 mph.

Given that all the aftermarket intakes do not do anything like this, whatever the difference is, it can't be dramatic.
designo (05-06-20)
Old 05-07-20, 12:02 AM
designo
Pole Position

I think you are absolutely right.
I live in a very hot country, so yes it makes total sense that at low speed and traffic, heat soak is tremendous and affected my engine performance with flap open.
Old 05-07-20, 09:03 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I originally wasn't going to mess with an Intake kit. I was only going to opt for the K&N DropIn OEM filter. After reading this thread....I am going to go with.....
the Takeda Retain Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System

Any Negatives on this choice?

thankyou in advance
Old 05-07-20, 11:53 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

I drank the kool-aid too and ordered the RR heat shield; I think eventually I will pair it with the takeda intake .
RC51TOFUMA (05-07-20)
Old 05-07-20, 01:06 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

I drank the kool-aid too and ordered the RR heat shield; I think eventually I will pair it with the takeda intake .
Mine came in last night, but I’m just going to use an A’pexi air filter and the stock system for now.
The following 2 users liked this post by 504GSF:
RC51TOFUMA (05-07-20), UZ214 (05-07-20)

Quick Reply: AEM Cold Air Intake Review