GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Thoughts about Carbon lip and side kits Any cons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 10:18 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Thoughts about Carbon lip and side kits Any cons?

Wanted your opinion on adding a carbon lip + side moldings for the GSF. I think it looks pretty good and I am thinking about getting the Toms or Artesian kit. But not sold yet.

Do you think adding a kit changes the aero dynamics of the car? My concern is adding unwanted drag to it. The guy from bullets garage had his front lip split into two when he was going fast, he might have hit something before. That got me thinking its probably adding drag to the front?

Almost added the novel fenders but read concerns that it partially blocks the vents so held off.
Old 05-14-20, 11:48 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 304 Likes on 209 Posts

The one that Bullets Garage had on his car is a knock off poorly constructed lip that isn’t designed for the GSF. I believe it is for a GS350 or F Sport. The brands you mentioned are much better designed and more solid. I am sure they will work great. I’d just be concerned about clearance. The GSF front lip is pretty low as it is and sticks out quite a bit which means you have to be careful with entrance angles, etc. A carbon lip will just exasperate that issue. If your car is lowered it’s even worse.

Since my wife also drives my car there is no way I’d spend that coin on it. Too much risk of it being broken.

Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by 1A1:
1wacko (05-15-20), anbark22 (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 12:03 AM
jonez
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 1A1
I’d just be concerned about clearance. The GSF front lip is pretty low as it is and sticks out quite a bit which means you have to be careful with entrance angles, etc. A carbon lip will just exasperate that issue. If your car is lowered it’s even worse.

Steve
+1

The main reason I am not putting a kit on it is because of those reasons and road debris — multiple times I have not been able to swerve and had to drive over something that a lip would’ve hit. Quite a few kits that I’ve seen on Facebook groups for sale have cracks or a lot of damage to the underside due to scraping.

The only trim piece I may get is the rear diffuser.
The following users liked this post:
UZ214 (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 05:25 AM
EastATLGSF
Rookie

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
Wanted your opinion on adding a carbon lip + side moldings for the GSF. I think it looks pretty good and I am thinking about getting the Toms or Artesian kit. But not sold yet.

Do you think adding a kit changes the aero dynamics of the car? My concern is adding unwanted drag to it. The guy from bullets garage had his front lip split into two when he was going fast, he might have hit something before. That got me thinking its probably adding drag to the front?

Almost added the novel fenders but read concerns that it partially blocks the vents so held off.

They charge too much for it IMO and they will probably get damaged. I doubt those kits are shaving off a ton of time. Even if it did unless I was making money from it I don't think it's worth it. I may get a diffuser because I like the look but I think that's it. I like the look of the front and sides of the gsf as is.

Old 05-15-20, 01:38 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

you have a good point- this car sits low, even getting out of my own driveway I have to slow down and sort of be careful or feel like I will hit the under carriage.
Originally Posted by 1A1
The one that Bullets Garage had on his car is a knock off poorly constructed lip that isn’t designed for the GSF. I believe it is for a GS350 or F Sport. The brands you mentioned are much better designed and more solid. I am sure they will work great. I’d just be concerned about clearance. The GSF front lip is pretty low as it is and sticks out quite a bit which means you have to be careful with entrance angles, etc. A carbon lip will just exasperate that issue. If your car is lowered it’s even worse.

Since my wife also drives my car there is no way I’d spend that coin on it. Too much risk of it being broken.

Steve
Old 05-16-20, 11:56 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 699 Likes on 613 Posts

The Toms racing one is developed by Toms Japan which is a race company in Japan. Their products are aero tested and functional rather than just look good.

Let me know when you're ready.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
1wacko (05-17-20)
Old 05-17-20, 06:30 PM
TA22Husker
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been comtemplating on the Novel CF aero kit. I do love the stock look but I wanna buy the kit because my wife drives it and has scraped the bottom from time to time. 6k is a drop in the hat to not have to pay for a new bumper and repaint...if I pull the trigger it'll likely be toward the end of the year when I get the wheels powdercoated. My biggest concerns are clearcoat required or already done; and is it an easy bolt on product. I think Tom's required drilling if I remember correctly. I want something that's easy to remove and back to stock.
UZ214 (05-18-20)
Old 05-23-20, 10:07 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

So novel is a bolt on? I figured Toms would just go with the factory screw holes in the front bumper. I dont want to be drilling at all in the front.
Originally Posted by TA22Husker
I've been comtemplating on the Novel CF aero kit. I do love the stock look but I wanna buy the kit because my wife drives it and has scraped the bottom from time to time. 6k is a drop in the hat to not have to pay for a new bumper and repaint...if I pull the trigger it'll likely be toward the end of the year when I get the wheels powdercoated. My biggest concerns are clearcoat required or already done; and is it an easy bolt on product. I think Tom's required drilling if I remember correctly. I want something that's easy to remove and back to stock.
Old 05-23-20, 10:24 PM
TA22Husker
Driver School Candidate

I'm not 100%, but I thought I read one third party seller state drilling was required. If you find out otherwise or someone knows the truth please let it be known.

Originally Posted by UZ214
So novel is a bolt on? I figured Toms would just go with the1 factory screw holes in the front bumper. I dont want to be drilling at all in the front.
Old 05-24-20, 11:24 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Toms is straight bolt on + double sided tape. Toms quality is great, its pretty dang strong.

-Josh

Orange County, CA
The following 2 users liked this post by Meraki Autoworks:
1wacko (05-25-20), UZ214 (05-24-20)
Old 05-27-20, 06:34 PM
TA22Husker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Toms is straight bolt on + double sided tape. Toms quality is great, its pretty dang strong.

-Josh
my only issue with Toms is the stupid logo on the side skirts...if I'm paying 6k for carbon fiber, it better be clean.
Old 05-28-20, 01:39 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

my only issue with Toms is the stupid logo on the side skirts...if I'm paying 6k for carbon fiber, it better be clean.
Funny world we live in eh? Just like designer clothes, people pay a premium to advertise for them!
That's nuts LOL
Old 05-28-20, 08:57 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

You can install them without the toms logo, you'l just have an indentation there for a logo, maybe put a custom one that says lexus or leave it blank.

-Josh

Orange County, CA