GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Trackday readout; Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 04:30 PM
Dre01SS
Rookie

Received 143 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Trackday readout; Road Atlanta

Wrapped up another single-day event, this time at Road Atlanta. Have turned a couple of hundred laps there over the years (and over 4 and 2 wheels), but it was my first time back to RA since 2015, and my first time there in the GS-F... A good litmus test to the car.

The Good: The GS-F behaved flawlessly. I had to get my bearings worked out since the F is a good 900lbs heavier than the last car I tracked at Road Atlanta, and the weather was HOT getting up to 90*. I ran the OEM Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which I'm quite familiar with on and off the track, and they did well. Overall the car was quite composed throughout, and let me have plenty of fun while still being reserved and testing the edges throughout the day. Had a blast, and cannot wait to go back to RA and start pushing the car more.

The Bad: As I mentioned, it was hot, and oil temps were crawling up some, hovering to a bit below 3/4 of the markings. Though I file this under the 'bad' it's only because there weren't many lowsides to the day at all. The temperatures were manageable, and this was no cause for concern, however the event has a 45-60min session at the end of each day, and I'm not sure how the temp would've held up. My previous Z06 benefited tremendously with an extractor hood, and I think the F could do the same.

The Ugly: As mentioned before, the F is a ~4000+lb car and coupled with the hot weather, I struggled with some temperature control on the tires. In the early AM sessions, temperatures got up to 40ish psi, and the front felt stiff. Lowered them a couple of pounds and had a great post-lunch session at 38psi. The following session, I must've gotten into my comfort zone, and even though the psi got to 38 hot again, after I got back to the pits I noticed I had MAJOR sidewall rollover. I ran another full session after (albeit weary of the rollover), and even though I still clocked a faster lap time, the tires were showing tearing so I called it for the day with a total of 50 laps clocked give or take.

What's next: New tires for the track are a must. Tossing the idea of RE71Rs, R888Rs, NT01s or others. Something in the 200TW range. The car is not a daily driver per se, so I can run stickier compounds as I have the option to drive another vehicle if the weather calls for it. Not sure if I'll get an extra set of wheels (19sx9.5/19x10.5 forged Titans TS-5 are top of list), but leaning towards it just to have the flexibility and opportunity to getting a wider tread. Also pondering about adding the RC-F extractor and/or NOVEL Vortex Generator as a means to better manage temperatures and allow for underhood airflow.

More to come, next event possibly Road Atlanta again late-June.

Fast-Lap of the day, 1:47. Projected best of 1:46, but my previous lap got messed up at the last turn by a slower car, which in turn also hampered the start of my fast-lap (as shown on the video).

Cheers

Last edited by Dre01SS; 05-27-20 at 04:35 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Dre01SS:
1A1 (05-28-20), 1wacko (05-28-20), ac253189 (05-29-20), DaveGS4 (05-27-20), Dukeaudio (05-27-20), lobuxracer (05-28-20), ScatmanATL (05-28-20), Teutonic (05-28-20) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-27-20, 06:12 PM
rexio83
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice write up, I had a similar experience with the pss on my rcf.
Did you try the different tvd settings?
Old 05-27-20, 06:26 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like you had a fun time out there!

Just wondering would the USRS fix this outer tire wear issue? Or is it more camber related? I seem to have this outer wear too on the front tires, even though it's just street driven.

Originally Posted by Dre01SS
Old 05-28-20, 03:59 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks for posting! Sounds like if you ran in cooler temps (70-80F), had LCA bushings and/or more camber (adjustable UCA) it would be a rather durable package?
Old 05-28-20, 05:48 AM
Dre01SS
Rookie

Originally Posted by kukudm
Looks like you had a fun time out there!
Just wondering would the USRS fix this outer tire wear issue? Or is it more camber related? I seem to have this outer wear too on the front tires, even though it's just street driven.
Always a blast when you come back with everything in 1 piece! Have the USRS on the car already. Haven't noticed abnormal wear, however my street mileage is limited.
Originally Posted by Teutonic
Thanks for posting! Sounds like if you ran in cooler temps (70-80F), had LCA bushings and/or more camber (adjustable UCA) it would be a rather durable package?
The temps weren't really an issue, I didn't have to slow down or anything in order to keep them from going into the red - but there's opportunity for improvement. Camber would help, but I'm leaning towards weight/psi as primary root cause (sidewall roll), which lead to the tearing... since I ran 2 sessions on the same setup, but only the 2nd one (quicker pace, few degrees hotter) is where the issue began to present itself. I probably should've ran a few more psi, or slowed down a hair.
Here's a good example from the session when the rollover first presented itself, a banked right hander followed by a flat bus-stop, and onto the backstraight:
Originally Posted by rexio83
Nice write up, I had a similar experience with the pss on my rcf.
Did you try the different tvd settings?
Tearing and/or sidewall roll? Kept the car in Sport+/Track all day long, TVD works wonders and you can feel it working to pivot the car while on hard the throttle at times.
Old 05-28-20, 06:02 AM
rexio83
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dre01SS
Always a blast when you come back with everything in 1 piece! Have the USRS on the car already. Haven't noticed abnormal wear, however my street mileage is limited.

The temps weren't really an issue, I didn't have to slow down or anything in order to keep them from going into the red - but there's opportunity for improvement. Camber would help, but I'm leaning towards weight/psi as primary root cause (sidewall roll), which lead to the tearing... since I ran 2 sessions on the same setup, but only the 2nd one (quicker pace, few degrees hotter) is where the issue began to present itself. I probably should've ran a few more psi, or slowed down a hair.
Here's a good example from the session when the rollover first presented itself, a banked right hander followed by a flat bus-stop, and onto the backstraight:
https://youtu.be/LaLXC-w12dE

Tearing and/or sidewall roll? Kept the car in Sport+/Track all day long, TVD works wonders and you can feel it working to pivot the car while on hard the throttle at times.
Side wall roll was very evident, also had big chunks come off the outer edges of front tires, but this was a tight course and I was just learning throttle steer, hence lots of unnecessary understeer
Old 05-28-20, 08:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

That wear is camber/tire pressure related. PSS like to do this with street alignment on heavy cars like this one. Just looking at the pics there's probably a 20+ degree difference in compound temp from inside to outside. Some toe out might help, but I doubt it would solve the problem. Looks like you were understeering quite a bit.
The following users liked this post:
Dre01SS (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 02:15 PM
ScatmanATL
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I've only owned my 2017 GSF for 3 months, but from day one felt like a functional vent on the hood would be both practical and look incredible (like the RCF). Not wiling to get an aftermarket hood for mine since it's a DD, but would be open to any custom work at the right price.
Old 05-28-20, 02:40 PM
Dre01SS
Rookie

Originally Posted by ScatmanATL
I've only owned my 2017 GSF for 3 months, but from day one felt like a functional vent on the hood would be both practical and look incredible (like the RCF). Not wiling to get an aftermarket hood for mine since it's a DD, but would be open to any custom work at the right price.
One of my best friends has a bodyshop in ATL, I've been meaning to show him the vortex generator and factory rc-f hood vent and see what he thinks.
I'll be the guinea pig and you can have the 2nd go at it.
1wacko (07-23-20)
Old 05-28-20, 02:44 PM
ScatmanATL
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm definitely interested in this. Thanks for the heads up!

We need to start an Atlanta sticky thread by the way.
Dre01SS (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 09:11 PM
myclue
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Are you on oem brakes? How did they hold up? Any brake fade?
Old 05-29-20, 03:44 PM
Dre01SS
Rookie

Originally Posted by myclue
Are you on oem brakes? How did they hold up? Any brake fade?
Yes, and they held up fine for the day, however I will say I was leaving time on the table under breaking and being cautious, could've gone harder on them if I wanted or needed to.

They did just as well as my previous day at AMP.
​​​​
​​​​
Old 07-19-20, 03:27 PM
ac253189
Driver

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Z06 to GSF is quite the switch. Do you miss the Z06?
shu5892001 (07-20-20)
Old 07-20-20, 04:27 PM
Dre01SS
Rookie

Originally Posted by ac253189
Z06 to GSF is quite the switch. Do you miss the Z06?
Miss it? Sure... Great car, gobs of power. But different stage in life now, and backseat gets put to use often. The F is tremendously enjoyable, even if not as fast.
ac253189 (07-21-20)
Old 07-22-20, 08:08 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Yea I love the SS too. But after the track day of 30 laps the tires rolled too, also with chunks off. Car is just too heavy and it understeers. But hella fun on the track imo.

I got the new p4s but not going to track them... the 3pc VSTX might not hold up XD.

Quick Reply: Trackday readout; Road Atlanta