GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

AFE Takeda Intake vs KN Drop-IN

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 08:48 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Smile AFE Takeda Intake vs KN Drop-IN

I would like some advice/opinions as I cannot decide. Which is the best way to go...
K&N drop-in /OEM Filter or AFE Takeda Intake WET FILTER ? Comparing these 2 setups......is one better than the other all the way around?

I was told the AFE Takeda is ONLY good for High end (freeway) and that I would lose on the low end.
I have both ready....to install.....
I appreciate the responses and thankyou in advance.

Last edited by RC51TOFUMA; 06-03-20 at 09:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
designo (06-04-20)
Old 06-03-20, 09:00 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

The Takeda because the cone offers more filtering area. The AFE filter is available in both wet or dry versions. Which one do you have? As far as wet filters go (the Wet AFE and the K&N) many members on the forum are opposed to their use because of the potential to foul the ECU. Personally When I had my ISF I ran both (K&N panel and AFE wet in my Takeda). I never had issues and I have used K&Ns in my earlier cars without issue. If you're smart with the reoiling process you should be fine.

With that said, I would recommend you stay with a dry filter because today they're pretty good. When I change the two panel filters on my LC I will be going with Wix filters.

Lou
Old 06-03-20, 09:03 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flowrider
The Takeda because the cone offers more filtering area. The AFE filter is available in both wet or dry versions. Which one do you have? As far as wet filters go (the Wet AFE and the K&N) many members on the forum are opposed to their use because of the potential to foul the ECU. Personally When I had my ISF I ran both (K&N panel and AFE wet in my Takeda). I never had issues and I have used K&Ns in my earlier cars without issue. If you're smart with the reoiling process you should be fine.

With that said, I would recommend you stay with a dry filter because today they're pretty good. When I change the two panel filters on my LC I will be going with Wix filters.

Lou
AFE TAKENDA WET FILTER is what i have
Old 06-03-20, 09:08 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Then the Takeda, but when you reoil be extremely careful to not overoil and let the filter drain over night on a newspaper. Do NOT drive for 24 hours after installation! And No - you will not lose anything in the low end

Lou
RC51TOFUMA (06-03-20)
Old 06-03-20, 10:49 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 304 Likes on 209 Posts

I think part of the problem is that when the secondary butterfly opens on the GSF, it pulls in engine bay air. Without an IAT in that area, it's hard to say whether or not it is bad, but the intake pulls in cold air from 0-3500rpms from the front grill area and when that butterfly opens it's pulling in cold from the front and probably hotter from the engine bay. I installed the RR-Racing heat shield that requires a slight trim of the seal area near the passenger side fender area. This will help the engine to pull in more cooler air from the fender after 3500rpms.

That said, a combination of the Takeda intake and RR-Racing heatshield may be the best as you increase filter area over the K&N drop in and hopefully reduce intake air temperatures by allowing cooler air to be sucked through the fender when the secondary butterfly opens at 3500rpms.

STeve
Old 06-03-20, 02:36 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1A1
I think part of the problem is that when the secondary butterfly opens on the GSF, it pulls in engine bay air. Without an IAT in that area, it's hard to say whether or not it is bad, but the intake pulls in cold air from 0-3500rpms from the front grill area and when that butterfly opens it's pulling in cold from the front and probably hotter from the engine bay. I installed the RR-Racing heat shield that requires a slight trim of the seal area near the passenger side fender area. This will help the engine to pull in more cooler air from the fender after 3500rpms.

That said, a combination of the Takeda intake and RR-Racing heatshield may be the best as you increase filter area over the K&N drop in and hopefully reduce intake air temperatures by allowing cooler air to be sucked through the fender when the secondary butterfly opens at 3500rpms.

STeve

Can anyone confirm at all ? I looked at the installation videos for the Takeda Intake. It does Not show that this intake disables the butterfly flapper that you are referring to. Or does it ?
Can anyone elaborate ?
Old 06-03-20, 05:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^One of the reasons I chose the Takeda for my ISF was because it left the flapper intact. The same is true for the RCF/GSF model.

Lou
RC51TOFUMA (06-03-20)
Old 06-03-20, 07:39 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

^^^^One of the reasons I chose the Takeda for my ISF was because it left the flapper intact. The same is true for the RCF/GSF model.

Lou
thanks Lou
Old 06-03-20, 08:50 PM
1A1
Instructor

Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMA
Can anyone confirm at all ? I looked at the installation videos for the Takeda Intake. It does Not show that this intake disables the butterfly flapper that you are referring to. Or does it ?
Can anyone elaborate ?
It doesn’t disable it like the AEM one does but it doesn’t modify it either to help bring in colder air. That is why I think the ultimate combo may be the AFE intake and RR Racing heat shield combined together.

Steve
Old 06-04-20, 12:12 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I had the BMC drop-in filter on my car previously and didn't feel anything honestly.
I then installed the Takeda (Cone filter DRY ) type in my car and immediately felt the initial throttle response.

I specifically installed for the look and sound factor only. From experience over 20 years, I can assure you that an open type filter element system on a naturally aspirated V8 will lose you power. Mid-range and top range will be compromised. I also coupled the system with the heat shield to avoid sucking engine compartment air in the secondary intake.

A wet type filter will most certainly over time, foul your MAFs.

Just make sure upon installation, you double-check to see if the cone element is not impeding the operation of the second flap. Otherwise, you're gonna hate your car's performance.

NOTE:
WITH AN OPEN TYPE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM, YOU WILL LOVE YOUR CAR IN THE WINTER AND HATE IT IN THE SUMMER.
DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, TRY IT YOURSELF.

Last edited by designo; 06-04-20 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 05:27 AM
EastATLGSF
Rookie

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

I did aFe with the heat shield. I can definately hear a difference in S&S+. I used the dry filter.
Old 06-04-20, 06:22 AM
1A1
Instructor

If your MAF gets "fouled" you can use some electric contact cleaner to clean off the oil.

Steve
Old 06-04-20, 08:16 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

thanks guys
Old 06-04-20, 09:30 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by designo
A wet type filter will most certainly over time, foul your MAFs.
I disagree - As I posted above, I have used wet types in the past (K&N and AFE) with no ill effects. However the reoiling procedure must be done correctly.

Lou
designo (06-05-20)
Old 06-05-20, 04:12 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I disagree - As I posted above, I have used wet types in the past (K&N and AFE) with no ill effects. However the reoiling procedure must be done correctly.

Lou
I believe our disagreement is due to the environment and climate.
I live in a very warm, humid and dusty country 9 months of the year

Quick Reply: AFE Takeda Intake vs KN Drop-IN