Coilovers guidance

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 11:03 AM
ppgsf37
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coilovers guidance

Guys,

NOOB Alert!!, been researching for days on the forums around coilover upgrade for my GSF. There almost too many threads out there but they never really talk about some of the concerns I have with after-market suspension. My gripes with stock that I'm hoping to address with this upgrade:
1. Stock setup too harsh even on the slightest road bumps, I live in Dallas and with all these concrete pavements it's the day in life here.
2. Taking sharp freeway exists makes this car very unreliable over road debri, it pretty much tries to bob over them.
3. Ride height, I honestly think the front wheels look ridiculous with the huge gap in the fenders.

Setup considered (mainly due to the price point)
1. RR Racing R2
2. CKS Coilovers (@gsfdream, love your videos around these and you are part of the reason I'm considering these.)

I've looked at the Ohlins, RR Racing Penskes etc,. but they seem more of a track setup IMO. Feedback welcome, easy on the FNG!! (Frigging New Guy!!).

Old 07-12-20, 11:36 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

How about RSR coilovers?

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-12-20, 11:49 AM
ppgsf37
Driver School Candidate

Saw those too, definitely strong choice. How does the ride compare to stock? I haven't seen a lot of comparison videos/writeups.
Old 07-12-20, 01:40 PM
ac253189
Driver

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Is it for a 2016 or 2017+?

If you're on adaptive suspension you may not like the more performance.oriented coilovers because they are going to be more firm than the most comfortable setting in adaptive mode. I went with RR Racing Penskes and love them, the handling is transformational, but the ride quality is firm, somewhere between sport plus and track mode on OEM springsosprings equivalent to sport plus on Swift lowering springs.

I can't comment on how the coilovers will compare to the 2016 suspension.

The CKS and RR-Racing are the only true rear coilovers setups. For comfort, I've heard great reviews on the KWs.
The following users liked this post:
user 692802 (09-20-23)
Old 07-12-20, 04:15 PM
ppgsf37
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ac253189
Is it for a 2016 or 2017+?

If you're on adaptive suspension you may not like the more performance.oriented coilovers because they are going to be more firm than the most comfortable setting in adaptive mode. I went with RR Racing Penskes and love them, the handling is transformational, but the ride quality is firm, somewhere between sport plus and track mode on OEM springsosprings equivalent to sport plus on Swift lowering springs.

I can't comment on how the coilovers will compare to the 2016 suspension.

The CKS and RR-Racing are the only true rear coilovers setups. For comfort, I've heard great reviews on the KWs.
Mine is a 2016, no adaptive suspension here. Never heard of KWs tho, will look into it.
Old 07-13-20, 10:37 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

KW Doesn't have an application for the GSF.

But RSR is a great coilover, most popular option for us and then Tom's Racing coilovers but those are $$!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-13-20, 01:06 PM
ppgsf37
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks

But RSR is a great coilover, most popular option for us and then Tom's Racing coilovers but those are $$!

-Josh
What kind of spring rates are the RSRs? The website says 10kg/mm in the front & 14kg/mm rear. Most people in the forum are opting for 16kg/mm in the front and 14kg/mm in the rear.

I'll PM you to discuss further. I have a lot of questions & concerns.
Meraki Autoworks (07-13-20)
Old 07-13-20, 03:27 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ppgsf37
What kind of spring rates are the RSRs? The website says 10kg/mm in the front & 14kg/mm rear. Most people in the forum are opting for 16kg/mm in the front and 14kg/mm in the rear.

I'll PM you to discuss further. I have a lot of questions & concerns.
Have you talk with mike at figs engineering, i will go with his ohlins set up, everyone with the isf whosoever got this set up love them.
Old 07-14-20, 08:31 PM
ac253189
Driver

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks

-Josh
What about these? https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/KW-CO-RCF

I thought MercuryGSF has KWs on his GSF? The top hats required some cutting, I think
Old 07-15-20, 08:27 AM
ppgsf37
Driver School Candidate

Seems promising. I'll reach out to Fig and see what their feedback it. Too pricey, I think RSR is better positioned and the quality.

@Josh - Still owe you a PM been too busy as usual.
Meraki Autoworks (07-15-20)
Old 09-14-20, 07:40 PM
dlin4229
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually I've installed Ohlins DFV (16K/12K) from FIG on my 2017 GSF over 6 months ago...

The short answer for my impression on it is "I LOVE IT!!!"

My previous car is 2007 G35S with PSS10. I also installed KW V3 on my previous G before PSS10. When I changed from my modified G to my current GSF, I think GSF was very good but still lacked some semi-race car's nimbleness like my previous modified G thanks to much stiffer springs.

I also find GSF's steering is actually very good (thanks to very stiff body structure) but only when you push it on mountain roads(one of front springs are compressed by G force) or above 75 mph(front springs are compressed by wind down force)

After I've installed the Ohlins, both of the above issues are all gone...

I also rented a M4(competition) for a day. I didn't like M4 suspension, either. M4 is still a road car, not a race car. Actually GSF's steering feels more direct(less rubber) when it's pushed on mountain roads thanks to more stiff body structure.

Of course, KW, PSS10, Ohlins are very stiff suspension(much higher spring rates which give more direct driving feel and quicker response). You will definitely need to sacrifice some ride comfort to keep them well-damped on unpredictable public roads.

What I did is to reduce factory tire pressures by 10%. In addition, these dampers may be subject to weather temperature. (May need to change damper settings when season changes) So you may need to keep your eyes on damper settings and tire pressures to maintain well-damped and also comfortable ride.

My wife is a over 50 office lady and doesn't complain the new Ohlins suspension... She confirms that my modified GSF is still very comfortable(of course, the factory suspension still more comfortable)

In my opinion, Ohlins is more comfortable(20%) and better rebound damping than KW but KW compression damping is stiffer(10%) than Ohlins. As a result, KW provides a little more driving feel(hardcore) than Ohlins...

Last edited by dlin4229; 09-14-20 at 08:02 PM.
ppgsf37 (10-11-20)
Old 09-14-20, 07:49 PM
dlin4229
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

By the way, I don't track my GSF or do street racing... So the lap time is not so important for me(These coilovers may not reduce the lap time. To reduce the lap time I can put sticky or wide tires instead) Actaully GSF is already very fast and faster than lawful maximum speed limits!!!

In fact what I really want is extra nimbleness, confidence and fun provided by these coilovers when I'm driving my GSF or my previous G35S...

In addition, I don't not work in auto industry. So, the above is just my experiences.

Last edited by dlin4229; 09-14-20 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-10-24, 11:43 AM
Nunz
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 70 Posts

Reviving this thread. How do CKS compare?
Old 07-10-24, 02:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Nunz
Reviving this thread. How do CKS compare?
What are you comparing?
Old 07-11-24, 06:49 AM
Nunz
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What are you comparing?
FIGS Ohlins R&T vs CKS

Quick Reply: Coilovers guidance