GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Best way to Buy a Lexus GS F

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 11:43 AM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

If you’re using Carmax or carvana.....is it still possible to get a CPO? I’ve never used these sites but I’m also having a hard time searching only Lexus dealerships for a CPO
Old 10-19-20, 01:04 PM
madmantwo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GsLex02
If you’re using Carmax or carvana.....is it still possible to get a CPO? I’ve never used these sites but I’m also having a hard time searching only Lexus dealerships for a CPO
Lexus CPO warranty is non-transferrable, so you can only get a CPO car from a Lexus dealer. If buying from a private party or a non-Lexus dealer don't let them try to charge you more for the remaining CPO warranty coverage because it will not transfer to you.
The following users liked this post:
GsLex02 (10-19-20)
Old 10-19-20, 02:24 PM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by madmantwo
Lexus CPO warranty is non-transferrable, so you can only get a CPO car from a Lexus dealer. If buying from a private party or a non-Lexus dealer don't let them try to charge you more for the remaining CPO warranty coverage because it will not transfer to you.
I really want to stick with a CPO but damn it’s hard searching nationwide for these cars at a dealer
Old 10-19-20, 03:53 PM
JerryR13
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GsLex02
I really want to stick with a CPO but damn it’s hard searching nationwide for these cars at a dealer
not looking for an argument here or to mislead anyone but I do believe that a CPO is in fact transferable. One time only and only private seller to private seller. See my attached pic. I'm on my 3rd LCert car, this one being a GSF and it does say its transferable. Obviously a quick phone call to any lexus dealer will clear this up. Best of luck w your search for a GS F. My advice.... try not to pigeon hole yourself and only be willing to accept certain spec cars. If you hate molten orange then I

get it.....its off the list. If $$ is no object then you'll be fine. If your trying to be savvy then you may need to be flexible
Old 10-19-20, 04:36 PM
madmantwo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JerryR13
not looking for an argument here or to mislead anyone but I do believe that a CPO is in fact transferable. One time only and only private seller to private seller. See my attached pic. I'm on my 3rd LCert car, this one being a GSF and it does say its transferable. Obviously a quick phone call to any lexus dealer will clear this up. Best of luck w your search for a GS F. My advice.... try not to pigeon hole yourself and only be willing to accept certain spec cars. If you hate molten orange then I get it.....its off the list. If $$ is no object then you'll be fine. If your trying to be savvy then you may need to be flexible
Weird...everything I've ever read says it is non-transferable. If you download the warranty guide (L CERTIFIED - Certification & Warranty - Lexus Certified Pre-Owned) it says:

"The coverage under this warranty begins (a) at the expiration of the Basic Warranty, or (b) at the vehicle purchase date, whichever occurs later, and remains in effect until the earlier of two years, or the date on which you transfer your Lexus to a subsequent owner, whichever comes first (the "Warranty Period"). Mileage is unlimited. This warranty is not transferable to any subsequent owner. THIS WARRANTY IS NULL AND VOID IN ALL RESPECTS IF YOU PURCHASED YOUR LEXUS FROM ANYONE OTHER THAN AN AUTHORIZED LEXUS DEALER."

Though it says this only applies to cars purchased after January 6, 2016, so the terms may have been different before. Am I missing something?
Old 10-19-20, 05:15 PM
JerryR13
Pit Crew

So I just checked out all my paperwork. The only variable that may be at play here is that I ( during haggling) was able to have my L cert extended for an additional 60 months pro bono. Possibly because of that extension different rules apply. Im not quite sure but the L Cert booklet in my glove box that I just received a few months ago clearly says it's transferable 🤷‍♂️.... we need to get to the bottom of this 🙂
Old 11-11-20, 08:00 AM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

Good Morning. I have found a GS F on Carvana, and I have it on hold for 72 hours. Anyone have any thoughts on the price? Also here is the VIN, JTHBP1BL6GA001027 I checked Lexus and it appears to have been serviced at the dealership but it has had 3 owners. Looking for opinions. Not a fan of the black interior, but I guess I can live with it If the deal is right. Appreciate your help everyone
Old 11-11-20, 08:01 AM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

I forgot to mention, it is a 2016, 36,437 miles and is listed for $47,990
Old 11-11-20, 08:29 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by topgun24fa
my rule of thumb (which could be funky now bc of covid used car demand) is to vroom and kbb an instant offer for a car and see where you land, and I’d try to be as close to that number as possible. Let’s say $1k to $2k, maybe $3k away from that vroom/instant cash offer.

I’d hold out for a one owner but if this car has a solid service hx, new tires and new brakes $47k may just be where you are bc these are getting hard to find. Other thing to check on service hx is to look for when brakes were done and how many miles between brake jobs (gives you an idea of how hard it was driven). If tires were replaced find out brand (car comes with Michelin pilot sports). If previous owners were getting tires and brakes done at dealer, it was prob well taken cared of. I’m thinking this car should be $45k, prob has a $41k trade in, but if services are done, brakes and tires are oem and new, then $47k isn’t too bad, but this isn’t a phenomenal deal.

id also check how much you’ll put into this car for 35k, 40k, 45k and 50k miles. Check service manual to figure out if any of those are major services or pay $200 and do a PPI at a Lexus dealer. Everything should be good until 60k service which is still 2 yrs away for this car

as a point of reference I have a 2016 with 21k miles and have yet to do brakes or tires.

Last edited by Tom44; 11-11-20 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-11-20, 08:33 AM
JerryR13
Pit Crew

the year, mileage and price are spot on. I think that's a good deal. The 3 owners on the other hand would have me a bit concerned. I'd run a carfax, autocheck and i know you put it through lexus drivers to do some Sherlock Holmes type investigating. Where was it registered? I've read that some GSF's primarily in the south ( Texas and AZ) were used for track days for journalists to test drive and consequently write up an article. Obviously those cars were driven HARD before even having a chance for any break in period. I know what its like to really want the GSF and how hard it is to find one. Just did all that tbus past summer. Can you see the car in person? Test drive? Not sure if that's a thing with carvana. Best of luck with making your decision. Ultimately its a high end toyota and I would bet it'll be great. But its a big decision. Due diligence is recquired.
Old 11-11-20, 08:40 AM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

According to Lexus Driver, the brakes were done in 7/2018 at 21506 miles. In October of last year at 30919 miles, it appears there was something done with the brakes, but I do not understand the lingo.

"Service: OTHERS, REPLACED WEATHER STRIP
description: OTHERS, REPLACED WEATHER STRIP ~|~CUSTOMER STATES DRIVER SIDE WEATHER STRIPPING LOOSE ~|~FOUND DOOR EDGE WEATHER STRIP FALLING OFF DUE TO LACK OF ADHESIVE ~|~OTHERS, REPLACED WEATHER STRIP
Service: PERFORM MAINTENANCE INSPECTION
description: PERFORM MAINTENANCE INSPECTION ~|~CUSTOMER STATES PERFORM MAINTENANCE INSPECTION ~|~PERFORM MAINTENANCE INSPECTION ~|~PERFORM MAINTENANCE INSPECTION
Service: R AND R FRONT AND REAR BRAKE PADS
description: R AND R FRONT AND REAR BRAKE PADS ~|~CUSTOMER STATES CONSTANT BRAKE NOISE IN THE FRONT INSPECT AND ADVISE ~|~LSB001316 CONFIRMED BRAKES SQUEALING UPON SLOW STOPS, CUST WANTS LSB PADS ~|~R AND R FRONT AND REAR BRAKE PADS"

It also appears that something was done just last month to the front camera, not sure what this means either

GUESTS REQUESTS TO REPLACE FRONT WINDSHIELD WITH OEM PARTS AND RECALIBRATE RADAR CRUISE CONTROL FRONT RECOGNITION CAMERA ON SEDANS ~|~REMOVED AND REPLACE FRONT WIND*****************TECH 532 REMOVED AND REPLACE FRONT WINDSHIELD 2.0HRS************** TECH 972 PERFORM FRONT CAMERA RECOGNITION AND ROAD TEST 3.0HRS*********SHIELD PERFORM FRONT CAMERA RECOGNITION AND ROAD TEST ~|~36388 REMOVED AND REPLACE FRONT WIND*****************TECH 532 REMOVED AND REPLACE FRONT WINDSHIELD 2.0HRS************** TECH 972 PERFORM FRONT CAMERA RECOGNITION AND ROAD TEST 3.0HRS*********SHIELD PERFORM FRONT CAMERA RECOGNITION AND ROAD TEST REMOVED ANGUESTS REQUESTS TO REPLACE FRONT WINDSHIELD WITH OEM PARTS AND RECALIBRATE RADAR CRUISE CONTROL
Old 11-11-20, 08:48 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

According to Lexus Driver, the brakes were done in 7/2018 at 21506 miles. In October of last year at 30919 miles, it appears there was something done with the brakes, but I do not understand the lingo.

"Service: OTHERS, REPLACED WEATHER STRIP
description: OTHERS, REPLACED WEATHER STRIP ~|~CUSTOMER STATES DRIVER SIDE WEATHER STRIPPING LOOSE ~|~FOUND DOOR EDGE WEATHER STRIP FALLING OFF DUE TO LACK OF ADHESIVE ~|~OTHERS, REPLACED WEATHER STRIP
Service: PERFORM MAINTENANCE INSPECTION
description: PERFORM MAINTENANCE INSPECTION ~|~CUSTOMER STATES PERFORM MAINTENANCE INSPECTION ~|~PERFORM MAINTENANCE INSPECTION ~|~PERFORM MAINTENANCE INSPECTION
Service: R AND R FRONT AND REAR BRAKE PADS
description: R AND R FRONT AND REAR BRAKE PADS ~|~CUSTOMER STATES CONSTANT BRAKE NOISE IN THE FRONT INSPECT AND ADVISE ~|~LSB001316 CONFIRMED BRAKES SQUEALING UPON SLOW STOPS, CUST WANTS LSB PADS ~|~R AND R FRONT AND REAR BRAKE PADS"

It also appears that something was done just last month to the front camera, not sure what this means either

GUESTS REQUESTS TO REPLACE FRONT WINDSHIELD WITH OEM PARTS AND RECALIBRATE RADAR CRUISE CONTROL FRONT RECOGNITION CAMERA ON SEDANS ~|~REMOVED AND REPLACE FRONT WIND*****************TECH 532 REMOVED AND REPLACE FRONT WINDSHIELD 2.0HRS************** TECH 972 PERFORM FRONT CAMERA RECOGNITION AND ROAD TEST 3.0HRS*********SHIELD PERFORM FRONT CAMERA RECOGNITION AND ROAD TEST ~|~36388 REMOVED AND REPLACE FRONT WIND*****************TECH 532 REMOVED AND REPLACE FRONT WINDSHIELD 2.0HRS************** TECH 972 PERFORM FRONT CAMERA RECOGNITION AND ROAD TEST 3.0HRS*********SHIELD PERFORM FRONT CAMERA RECOGNITION AND ROAD TEST REMOVED ANGUESTS REQUESTS TO REPLACE FRONT WINDSHIELD WITH OEM PARTS AND RECALIBRATE RADAR CRUISE CONTROL
looks like they replaced pads, maybe resurfaced rotors? Car comes with high friction pads That squeak. I think Lexus did a TSB for pads to replace the high friction ones to a less squeaky set.

Old 11-11-20, 08:56 AM
JerryR13
Pit Crew

If it was me I'd be on the phone with the dealer. I always find them to be helpful. Ask them whatever ?'s you wish. And even if you don't live in that area I'd tell them your wanting to buy the car and your looking to build a relationship w them for all future services. They'll bend over to answer all your questions with the hopes of earning your business. I was personally relentless and even got to communicate with my GSF's original owner! How cool is that. The dealer provided my cell to the previous owner. He reached out to me and answered all my questions. Just be relentless.
Old 11-11-20, 08:58 AM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

First owner was in Nevada, owned it a year and placed 11,812 miles on it. It was then sold as a CPO in Nevada and appears to have stayed there for an additional 2 years and 5 months with about 9,771 miles per year. 3rd owner is interesting, had it 8 months, but only placed 36 miles on it? Not sure what to make of that. Odometer reading was reported in California and then the next entry is not until August of 2020 when a title was issued in August, then it ended up on Carvana's website the other day. They deliver it after it is fully purchased and you get a 7 day test drive period, and you can return the car if you want too.
Old 11-11-20, 03:32 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Quick Reply: Best way to Buy a Lexus GS F