Originally Posted by Tom44
the second owner drove it 25.000 miles.
Old 11-12-20, 11:46 AM
bonaf1de
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by topgun24fa
the second owner drove it 25.000 miles.
I think it's cool (but also, you know, bad) that there are so few GS F's, that we on these forums trip over each other trying to line a good one up!

I was looking at this exact example on Carvana, but passed for a few reasons, namely because I already had a hold on a great condition, although high mileage, USB 2.0, Canadian spec GS F that was owned and traded locally in South Florida (see my post in the "2018 GS F Prices" there) -- the devil you know, right? I'm 100% positive now it was you who put it on hold. :-) So you did me a favor somewhat, as it forced me to stop hesitating.

My only real concern with that car was the interior -- the center console looked beat up -- but Alcantara is a very durable and easily cleanable material. Honestly, Carvana is easy to work with. I would recommend you purchase the vehicle, take it immediately to a trusted Lexus dealership, and spend the money on a full inspection (Fidelity inspection, not visual inspection). It will run you about $120. Some mechanics at these Lexus dealers are trained on F vehicles (may be they all are). Ask for that guy. Do a test drive with him. Ask for a walkaround of the vehicle on while it's on the lift once he's completed his report. It's worth every penny; I learned EVERYTHING about my car with the Service Advisor and F mechanic at JM Lexus. Outstanding service. Based on the report, it's your decision whether to return it or keep it; hopefully your mechanic and SA are honest with you.

Otherwise, you don't have anything to lose other than a few hundred bucks (inspection, and if you have to pay shipping to Carvana). Also, depending on your dealer, you may qualify for the Lexus Extended Warranty even though your basic warranty may have already expired due to age. I've learned that a Lexus Dealer can still work with you provided you odometer reading is under 50K, but YMMV, as again, depends on the dealer (what dealer doesn't want to make money?). I was out of luck due to my mileage, but I knew this going in. My Service Advisor tried anyway on my behalf.

Last edited by bonaf1de; 11-12-20 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-12-20, 01:09 PM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bonaf1de
I think it's cool (but also, you know, bad) that there are so few GS F's, that we on these forums trip over each other trying to line a good one up!

I was looking at this exact example on Carvana, but passed for a few reasons, namely because I already had a hold on a great condition, although high mileage, USB 2.0, Canadian spec GS F that was owned and traded locally in South Florida (see my post in the "2018 GS F Prices" there) -- the devil you know, right? I'm 100% positive now it was you who put it on hold. :-) So you did me a favor somewhat, as it forced me to stop hesitating.

My only real concern with that car was the interior -- the center console looked beat up -- but Alcantara is a very durable and easily cleanable material. Honestly, Carvana is easy to work with. I would recommend you purchase the vehicle, take it immediately to a trusted Lexus dealership, and spend the money on a full inspection (Fidelity inspection, not visual inspection). It will run you about $120. Some mechanics at these Lexus dealers are trained on F vehicles (may be they all are). Ask for that guy. Do a test drive with him. Ask for a walkaround of the vehicle on while it's on the lift once he's completed his report. It's worth every penny; I learned EVERYTHING about my car with the Service Advisor and F mechanic at JM Lexus. Outstanding service. Based on the report, it's your decision whether to return it or keep it; hopefully your mechanic and SA are honest with you.

Otherwise, you don't have anything to lose other than a few hundred bucks (inspection, and if you have to pay shipping to Carvana). Also, depending on your dealer, you may qualify for the Lexus Extended Warranty even though your basic warranty may have already expired due to age. I've learned that a Lexus Dealer can still work with you provided you odometer reading is under 50K, but YMMV, as again, depends on the dealer (what dealer doesn't want to make money?). I was out of luck due to my mileage, but I knew this going in. My Service Advisor tried anyway on my behalf.

Thanks for the note and glad I could help. Yes, I am still torn myself, I just wanted to get a hold on it. Not my first choice of colors, but the price is solid and I cannot complain about the mileage. I will take a closer look at the center console. Thanks for telling me about that. I also will get in touch with my local Lexus dealer too. I will keep you posted. Was your on Cars.com or auto trader by chance?
Old 11-12-20, 01:16 PM
bonaf1de
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the note and glad I could help. Yes, I am still torn myself, I just wanted to get a hold on it. Not my first choice of colors, but the price is solid and I cannot complain about the mileage. I will take a closer look at the center console. Thanks for telling me about that. I also will get in touch with my local Lexus dealer too. I will keep you posted. Was your on Cars.com or auto trader by chance?
It was, and I'm sure you saw it. Like I said, we trip over ourselves looking for a good example! However, at the same time, I've noticed this is a very supportive community.

It was posted twice on these forums, actually. First was when it was imported by HGreg Lux from Canada (see "The rarest GS F in the US, 2017; second URL) and recently in the 2018 GS F Prices thread (see #33) exactly a day after I found it on AutoTrader myself. It helped me piece the puzzle together that was the wonky history of the vehicle. That alone nearly made me pass and I hemmed and hawed for a while, but the dealer's 3-day return policy plus the local dealers not caring it was a Canadian vehicles gave me the stomach to put the down payment. I immediately went to JM Lexus after taking the vehicle, and went back the same day with the inspection report to haggle on some very minor repairs. Otherwise, the car was evidently taken care of by the previous owner -- everything was mint.

Had I not purchased the vehicle, I would have happily shared all the reports with a member who was interested.
Old 11-12-20, 01:23 PM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

That is awesome... congratulations. Glad it worked out.
Old 11-12-20, 01:30 PM
bonaf1de
Driver School Candidate

That is awesome... congratulations. Glad it worked out.
I appreciate it, and I hope you find my advice helpful. I don’t know if you’ve driven one yet, but I test drove the GS F I bought four times before I purchased it. Really because it’s quite a sum of money to spend, but this car was absolutely intoxicating. The first test drive was during rush hour, so I couldn’t get a good feel of the car, the second and third times were in the city and on the highway, respectfully. Fourth, we’ll I was waiting on the salesman. :-) I was considering this or a M5. The M5 is lightning quick, but behaved, and I didn’t really care one way or another for it. However with the GS F... I had an immediate connection to the car — the sound (intoxicating), the communicative pedal, etc. The reliability was the icing on the cake.

Give it a go! Otherwise, look for a good Carmax example. I say that, because Carmax will handle a lot of issues with little hassle if any issues are found. Their extended warranty (through CNA) is excellent as well.

Last edited by bonaf1de; 11-12-20 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-12-20, 01:55 PM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Here's my old 2017 USB that I traded in 2 weeks ago. About to be certified I believe, someone get it!! Would love to see it go to a clublexus member.

https://www.lexusoftowson.com/auto/p...n-md/50611853/
Old 11-12-20, 03:50 PM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bonaf1de
I appreciate it, and I hope you find my advice helpful. I don’t know if you’ve driven one yet, but I test drove the GS F I bought four times before I purchased it. Really because it’s quite a sum of money to spend, but this car was absolutely intoxicating. The first test drive was during rush hour, so I couldn’t get a good feel of the car, the second and third times were in the city and on the highway, respectfully. Fourth, we’ll I was waiting on the salesman. :-) I was considering this or a M5. The M5 is lightning quick, but behaved, and I didn’t really care one way or another for it. However with the GS F... I had an immediate connection to the car — the sound (intoxicating), the communicative pedal, etc. The reliability was the icing on the cake.

Give it a go! Otherwise, look for a good Carmax example. I say that, because Carmax will handle a lot of issues with little hassle if any issues are found. Their extended warranty (through CNA) is excellent as well.

well I’ve heard back from the manager at Lexus. Very accommodating. However they have advised against it being my year round car because of snow. I was hoping throwing snow tires on it would be enough. He has told me that I’ll slide badly. I may need re-evaluate which crushes me. I’m not buying an Audi or BMW given their track records. My back up is a Kia Stinger. Since that has AWD. Anyone have thoughts?
Old 11-12-20, 04:09 PM
bonaf1de
Driver School Candidate

well I’ve heard back from the manager at Lexus. Very accommodating. However they have advised against it being my year round car because of snow. I was hoping throwing snow tires on it would be enough. He has told me that I’ll slide badly. I may need re-evaluate which crushes me. I’m not buying an Audi or BMW given their track records. My back up is a Kia Stinger. Since that has AWD. Anyone have thoughts?
Unfortunately, I can’t help there, as I live in Florida. Although it does seem like an honest assessment from the Manager of all people. I know RWD vs AWD is a constant topic in regards to winter driving, so my impression is that it’s a matter of preference, driving ability, and the environment.

If you look up on YouTube Chris Harris’ M5 v GS F review done in Wales during the winter, he had no complaints regarding the handling of the GS F in snow/icy conditions (not the case for the M5). That’s a journalism review though, not representative of normal, daily driving.

Maybe worth starting a new thread before dashing all hope? I’m sure there are other members here who drive the car in some variation of winter conditions. They do sell the car in Canada, so it must work to some degree?

Old 11-12-20, 06:24 PM
Fatbarney
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorR
Here's my old 2017 USB that I traded in 2 weeks ago. About to be certified I believe, someone get it!! Would love to see it go to a clublexus member.

https://www.lexusoftowson.com/auto/p...n-md/50611853/
what did you replace it with?
Old 11-12-20, 09:33 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Look at the thread you created concerning winter use.

Lou
Old 11-12-20, 09:47 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

it wasn’t that many years ago all we had were RWD cars and we survived the winters just fine. My 16 year old son Just traded in his is250 awd for a Scion FR-S RWD and is having a hoot on super slick roads icy roads at the moment. It works great gets him safely to school and back, mind you he’s a good driver. I wouldn’t let a salesman talk me out of buying a GSF for winter roads. Every Bus on the road is RWD and they don’t stop In The winter. Put good tires on it and go. The traction control is excellent and will keep you out of trouble if you don’t have the feel to keep yourself out of trouble. It’s that good.
Old 11-13-20, 05:35 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

you can use the car in the winter just get snow tires. Or buy the car for use 80% of the year and get a $2k beater for winter use or rent a car.
Old 11-13-20, 07:40 AM
serturbo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom44
you can use the car in the winter just get snow tires. Or buy the car for use 80% of the year and get a $2k beater for winter use or rent a car.

I would def try and go this route ... keep the GS-F nice and cozy garaged in the winter time!
Old 11-13-20, 07:58 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbarney
what did you replace it with?
2020 Atomic Grey GSF

Quick Reply: Best way to Buy a Lexus GS F