GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Best way to Buy a Lexus GS F

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 11:24 AM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best way to Buy a Lexus GS F

Hi All! I am in the market for a GS F, and it appears they are not easy to find. My Local Lexus dealer claims they have not seen one (used) in three years. They have a demo out right now, but I cannot afford a 2020. Any advice on how to find a good quality GS F at a good price? I have heard great things about the Lexus CPO program, do you all concur? Is it worth it to travel for one? Is Car Max or Carvanna a good idea? What year right now in your opinions is the sweet spot? 2017 or 2018? Any advice is helpful. Thanks so much!
Old 09-09-20, 02:15 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

Most of us on here searched for many months until we found "the one". I used Autotrader to look for them. I probably looked at 10 different GS-Fs before I found mine. Make sure you set up a Lexus Driver's account so you can view vehicle history. That will tell you all about service records and how the car was maintained.

STeve
The following users liked this post:
bibika027 (12-01-20)
Old 09-09-20, 08:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Bought new in '16 with cash. Hard to beat when they take more than $20k off the sticker and you know you keep your cars for 15 - 20 years.
1A1 (09-10-20)
Old 09-10-20, 06:47 AM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1A1
Most of us on here searched for many months until we found "the one". I used Autotrader to look for them. I probably looked at 10 different GS-Fs before I found mine. Make sure you set up a Lexus Driver's account so you can view vehicle history. That will tell you all about service records and how the car was maintained.

STeve
Thank you. I did sign up for the Lexus Driver, thanks for the tip. I assume I just enter the VIN of whatever car I may be looking at under Add My Lexus? When you say looked, what do you mean? There has not been one in my area for many years according to my lexus dealer. With COVID, I am not going to be able to go travelling, so perhaps I just wait, but I am nervous about costs going up since they are so rare it seems now.
Old 09-10-20, 10:04 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

My friend found one on Facebook classifieds, had it shipped to him. The car was taken care as it just left the car shop. I picked up from a dealer in a different state earlier this year. I started looking in 2018.
saw the prices go up and down. A few deals that popped up go very quick. My dealer got 1 GSF in 2016 and that was it. But they did find one for me 2 hrs away.
Old 09-10-20, 11:47 AM
Marcus003
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm finding this to be a very slow and testing process (so much where I'm starting to consider cross-shopping) especially when, if like me, you are only considering specific paint colors and newer than '16. I started searching the car sites, autotrader, cars.com,etc, about 6 months ago and the inventory just isn't there due to low production of model years 17 and up. The few '17's I've seen tend to go within a week before someone snaps them up. I bought my 1st Lexus L-certified back in 2015, so I don't know how CarMax or others fare. I personally feel better buying L-certified, although I've only had 1 suspension/shock issue that required a claim, but that also another limiting factor in my search. Not all L-certified are perfect, I saw one locally that had apparent front fender damage and cigarette burns in the interior, not to mention the stench of smoke. Good luck, and since you are also in the northeast, I hope we don't have our targets set on the same listing when it comes around.
Old 09-10-20, 12:27 PM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Marcus003
I'm finding this to be a very slow and testing process (so much where I'm starting to consider cross-shopping) especially when, if like me, you are only considering specific paint colors and newer than '16. I started searching the car sites, autotrader, cars.com,etc, about 6 months ago and the inventory just isn't there due to low production of model years 17 and up. The few '17's I've seen tend to go within a week before someone snaps them up. I bought my 1st Lexus L-certified back in 2015, so I don't know how CarMax or others fare. I personally feel better buying L-certified, although I've only had 1 suspension/shock issue that required a claim, but that also another limiting factor in my search. Not all L-certified are perfect, I saw one locally that had apparent front fender damage and cigarette burns in the interior, not to mention the stench of smoke. Good luck, and since you are also in the northeast, I hope we don't have our targets set on the same listing when it comes around.
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I would like to aim for a 2017 or 2018 myself also. I would love a L Certified, but I have been using other avenues to search as well, such as Car Max and Carvana. I will be patient and see what comes of it. I hope we are not locking on to the same cars either, if it helps, I want Blue with the two tone white/grey interior. Hopefully, that puts your mind at ease, or it will tell us, we are both looking for the same thing! Ha
Marcus003 (09-10-20)
Old 09-10-20, 04:50 PM
myclue
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Expect to possibly travel far and possibly ship and act fast when you see one pop up for sale because they go quick!
Old 09-10-20, 06:44 PM
Ismelllike
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

carmax you do pay a small premium but my buying experience was pleasant, very easy to work with, and if extended warranty is your thing, really not bad pricing. plus their 7 day return policy is handy. wife hated the gsf i got from them last year and made me return it.....saw it pop up back for sale then it was gone in a few days.
Old 09-10-20, 06:49 PM
Fatbarney
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Inventory definitely bare bones out there

Last edited by Fatbarney; 09-10-20 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 06:32 AM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

Looks like a 2016 just came up in Virginia, Sterling, Va to be exact. $49,251 with 36,003 miles.
Old 09-11-20, 12:23 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by topgun24fa
Looks like a 2016 just came up in Virginia, Sterling, Va to be exact. $49,251 with 36,003 miles.
Crazy. That's what I paid for my CPO 2017 with 10K/miles back in May.

Steve
Old 09-13-20, 05:17 PM
ppgsf37
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm regretfully considering departing with my 2016 GS-F, grey with red interior and I have about 22k miles. Probably have some factory warranty left but I have after market warranty that lasts much longer than that. I bought this with huge aspirations of tracking this etc,. but never able to do any of that due to work/life challenges. My real-estate business is picking up hard and it's demanding that I get a pickup truck, so the GSF has to go.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-14-20 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Put it in the Marketplace if you really want to sell
Old 09-13-20, 09:29 PM
nveddy
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

got mine 2018 at Car Max in California for 57k with 19k miles. pearl white with red interior. I live in cali so they delivered for free to CarMax near me. love it. took me about 2-3 months to find it.
Old 09-15-20, 07:45 AM
topgun24fa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1A1
Crazy. That's what I paid for my CPO 2017 with 10K/miles back in May.

Steve
That is unbelievable. I just saw a 2016 come up for sale in Philly that has 10K miles, I am awaiting to get information on the price. Do not think it is the color I want though. I really want the blue.

Quick Reply: Best way to Buy a Lexus GS F